Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: cymbalta? does it work for anyone

cymbalta? does it work for anyone

the next med for neuro pain i am to try is cymbalta, anyone have any luck with it. any intolerable side effects. does it help you sleep, and does it make you to sleepy during daytime?

well have to try it again next week, in the morning this time........
    the first time i too it was in desperation since i was awakened at 2am took 1 30 mg tablet and with a ambien i woke up within 2 hours, so at 5am was jumping out of my skin, felt really weird , but couldn't do anything, ended going back to bed , not because i was tired , but because i couldn't face the day, it was really weird..and not pleasant

I just started Cymbalta about 2 weeks ago. I came off Effexor (150mg/day) and went on Cymbalta (120mg/day). The first week I took half Effexor and half Cymbalta. The following week all Cymbalta. No unusual side effects for me at all. I can't tell any difference between between the two. Pain levels are about the same. Perhaps slightly better. Certainly no worse. I'll give it a few more weeks.

i may start it again tomorrow when i wake up,
    are you able to sleep ok with it, or do you take other meds to assist with sleep?
    i am starting on 30mg a day

I take the 120mg Cymbalta, 800mg Neurontin, and 30mg of MS Contin at bedtime. All that combined knocks me out pretty quick and I sleep well for about four hours. After that I'm half asleep, half awake for the rest of the night. I was somewhat of an insomniac before my accident though, so I'm not sure anything would allow me to get a full nights sleep. I used to take 10mg of Ambien at bedtime. It worked for 3 or 4 months and then slowly stopped working. I gave it up after that. I think I'm just a lousy sleeper.

We would be really interested in hearing about anyones experience with Cymbalta. Our daughter-in-law is a pharmacist and suggested that Simon try it. He's on 3,600 mg Neurontin and 100 mg Pamelor a day right now and it doesn't seem to touch the neuropathy.

Hey Mike...

I just got cymbalta today. Doc started me on 60mg/day in the morn. I havent tried it yet (tmro is first day). Im already on 2400 QID neurontin and 10mg oxycontin 3X/day...he wants to add this rather than push up the oxy too high. He says they got great results for all kinds of N/P pain in Europe but it's only FDA approved for diabetes N/P pain. I'll let ya know what i think.

Kap

(This space available)

OK kap i started out today at 30mg.
    but i had some foot pain , more lumbar/stenosis numbness so i could not get going anyplace today, due to the meds i took and the numbness for the stenosis foot pain, i was house bound,
    hope fully tomorrow will be better

Would you all keep posting on how this is working for you? Simon sees his rehab doctor this week and wants to go off the Pamelor because it gives him dry mouth, but no pain relief. In the meantime, I'll try to find out if my HMO covers Cymbalta.

On the nights that his neuropathy is really intense he takes a Darvocet to help him fall asleep. He's usually out within 20 minutes and doesn't wake up until morning.

mrsnomis

OK....well after 48 hours of comatose psychosis the first (and only) dose of cymbalta that I took has finally worn off. Here's what happened:

I took it with my regular meds and vitamins and breakfast. Went to the gym and had a good workout. On the way home I started feeling sort of woozy. Got home and laid down, fell asleep, and from that point on was living a nightmare.

I could not wake up, even though I'd get up to eat, drink, cath, etc I felt like I was in a dream state. Constant head rushes, blood rushing in my ears, felt like I was going to pass out at any minute. I would go right back to bed or the couch for a 4-6 hour coma (nap)after getting up for any of the above. I started blacking out while I was doing things like cathing or getting a sweater, etc. I would wake up and find myself in the bedroom, living room or kitchen having no idea how I got there or how long I had been just standing there staring into space.

I called my doc about it and he said probably the dose was too high and wants me now to start on the 30 mg instead of the 60, which is what I took. I'm scared to do even that and haven't made up my mind if I'm going to try it or not. I was hoping to see more feedback from others on the benefits or if they had similar bad side effects like I did.

At this point, I'm back to normal and just taking my regular neurontin and oxycontin and doing fine. November was a rough pain month for me and my 3rd anniversary of SCI was this week. I guess my whining to the Doc was what made him want me to try the cymbalta.

Right now I'm leaning towards not trying it again unless I hear some definite good feedback from you guys. If the neurontin and oxycontin can handle my pain for the next wekk or two, I don't see why I should try cymbalta again, considering the horrible experience I had with it the first time.

Kap

(This space available)