Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cymbalta? does it work for anyone

In my experience everything I take makes me drowsy. For this reason I've actually tried to cut back from 2400mg Neurontin a day to 600-1200mg. The pain isn't worse, but it is more frequent. My doctor has mentioned Lyrica and Cymbalta together as a possible replacement for Neurontin, but I'm hesitant to start the cycle of gradual dose increases all over again with new medications. So I'll see how long I can hold out on lower doses of Neurontin instead.

cymbalta

You want to watch your liver enzymes when taking cymbalta. It is very harsh to the liver. I was on it for three months. It did not do anything for pain but did raise my enzymes off the charts. be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    every body can have different side effects, especially nausea..
    i find it makes me feel weird , and not a good weird, but that just me...not drowsy though , not sure how much longer i am going to try it..
    i find i feel better on it when i have something like ultram also working that is calming..
    so those that also are taking neurontin and other more calming meds may not fell jittery, and may counter the sleepiness
    Not changing the topic but would like to tell others what I have found helps me with nausea. Lemon. I cut a lemon and suck on the juice. The previous nurse I used to have suggested that I try that. It does help to settle my stomach some. Nick was telling that it is also used as a chaser.

As to the drowsy feeling the meds give you, I am finding that some of them do that to me also. I am new to all this in the sense that I had never taken any medication for pain before except when having had surgery. I guess you could say that this is a new world to me now. I hate it but how else can I otherwise deal with the horrible and unbearable pain I get? I think you guys are really strong and I admire you for your strength since you have dealt with all of it for such a long time but don't give in. I find the woozy feeling scary and many times I cry for what I now deal with. You guys are a good example to me and I hope that one day a med or cure can be found that will completely erase all the pain that darkens our lives.

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm not interested in taking hepatotoxic meds long term.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMonte View Post
    You want to watch your liver enzymes when taking cymbalta. It is very harsh to the liver. I was on it for three months. It did not do anything for pain but did raise my enzymes off the charts. be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Not changing the topic but would like to tell others what I have found helps me with nausea. Lemon. I cut a lemon and suck on the juice. The previous nurse I used to have suggested that I try that. It does help to settle my stomach some. Nick was telling that it is also used as a chaser.

As to the drowsy feeling the meds give you, I am finding that some of them do that to me also. I am new to all this in the sense that I had never taken any medication for pain before except when having had surgery. I guess you could say that this is a new world to me now. I hate it but how else can I otherwise deal with the horrible and unbearable pain I get? I think you guys are really strong and I admire you for your strength since you have dealt with all of it for such a long time but don't give in. I find the woozy feeling scary and many times I cry for what I now deal with. You guys are a good example to me and I hope that one day a med or cure can be found that will completely erase all the pain that darkens our lives.

Raven
    Ginger can help with nausea too. We even tried the seasick bracelets from the drug store for a little girl who had nausea from chemo and pain meds. If you continue to have nausea, ask your doctors - there are various medications to counter the nausea, if you need them.

Hopefully the woozy thing will wear off over time.

Again, I'm sorry for what you're going through.

Cymbalta did nothin for me.

Question

Wondering if anyone is interested in a 3-4 month supply of Cymbalta. I was on it a long time, then signed up for it free from the company. After i started getting it free my body decided i cant take it anymore. Who ever wants it can have it.
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Cymbalta worked wonders for me. I take 120 mg of Cymbalta in the morning and 150 mg of Lyrica 3 timas a day and have been for 3 or 4 years. I also take tramadol whe the pain is bad. I think cymbalta makes me feel better all around (reduces depression from SCI???) and that helps slow down the mental pain triggers therefore less pain.

Just my 2 cents,
    John

Cymbalta?

I tried Cymbalta but had to stop it after seven days only taking 30 mg in the morning. I experienced some of the same side-effects as others have. The strange feeling, which was very scary, pain in my feet and sleep problems were the side-effects..I also had occasionally felt the top of my head getting extremely hot.
    The cymbalta was replacing remeron & Seroquel which was helping with my abdominal pain by lessening my anxiety. Cymbalta was supposed to help control the anxiety and reduce nerve pain.

I had a great experience with Cymbalta. It worked well for the pain and I was on 90mg of it daily. However, I did get off it for awhile as I used it early in recovery and the pain is now tolerable. I was more concerned about the cost because there is not generic.