Thread: PAIN! Know i need to get rods removed. NOW I AM SCARED!

PAIN! Know i need to get rods removed. NOW I AM SCARED!

I just had a moment of clarity today i think about my whole situation with the emence pain generated from the rods that travel from t11 to l3. The pain meds are just so overwelming and though they help, the meds wear off and the pain is still there. Whenever i move to reach something or whatever i can feel my muscles being stretched and scraped over the rods, especially at the top where they end, like there is a raw piece of jagged metal that makes up the top portion of my rods where the start. My upper back above the rods looks totally screwed up, there is NO muscle there and that part is not affected by the SCI since its above the injury. Its like my muscles are constantly trying to reject these things everytime they "know" there there by me moving or whatever. Like someone taking a screwdriver and poking it at me until the muscles are bruised and aching eventually producing chest-tighting sporadic spasms which take my breath away. I tried and tried to deal with this and possible trying to deny the fact that they are just not working for me in my body and that i need to get them removed. I almost had a panic attack when i came to the realization that they have to come out sometime soon. I think i just need you guys to give my positive feedback or someone that has gone through and give me details of what the whold process is like or even Wise can give me some explanation as to how they are removed, ect. They have been in place since the day of my wreck, Sept. 25 2002. I am so scared to go back under and have them rip my back open. I just want a positive outcome without mistakes like injuring me more or for some reason the surgery goes hay wire and i die or something. What are the odds of success with this. SOMEONE!

Thanks for listening to me.

Adam

faster than a speeding ticket

Adam

I am scared also about having to go under again. I don't have the rod's but a Titanium basket, plate and 4 screw's. I keep fearing that it will break. I don't think I could take the thought of them going through my side again. Still hurt's to this day. I do think the Odd's are better now if I or we did have to have it done again because we are NOT in the trauma situation we were back then.

Doug

Duge, very true. I think i am more scared to go under then before i had my wreck. It was such a traumatizing experience for me. I could never sleep, i was VERY scared didn't want anyone to leave. I also remember (slightly) the horror of intubation and them having to tie me down and my family coming in, couldn't talk to them but my bro. says i had the look of terror on my face! I also remember pulling that tube that goes into your nose and into your stomach several times and it sucked when they had to put it back in. I just don't want a similiar situation for sure.

faster than a speeding ticket

I keep reading about all the problems people have with rods, and here I sit (crookedly) thinking they may be the only thing available that can straighten my spine and stop my bones from constantly rubbing each other. Never a simple solution in this mess of existing with SCI.

I never worried about going under when I had my C-4 - C-6 fusion three months post (of a badly broken neck that never hurt for some reason), nor when I had the laminectomy of C-5 in 1987 (six years post), but I'm older now, and would likely worry more.

I was never intubated (thank goodness), so I didn't have to deal with that trauma. Even so, I can certainly understand why the thought of going through it would add to your worries.

Whatever you do, good luck.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Originally posted by duge:

Adam

I am scared also about having to go under again. I don't have the rod's but a Titanium basket, plate and 4 screw's. I keep fearing that it will break. I don't think I could take the thought of them going through my side again. Still hurt's to this day. I do think the Odd's are better now if I or we did have to have it done again because we are NOT in the trauma situation we were back then.

Doug

Aloha; This is Hawaiianbob. I am a Newbe here but Not To Chronic Pain. I have Suffered for 33 Years. I raputed many levels of my lower back in 1973. I Have Several back Surgeries, Plus Failed Knee, Elbow, Hip, thumb,Arthritis in all my joints. I am with My 2nd Morphine Pump implanted in my stomach. Also VERY HEAVY MEDS for EVERYTHING. One Secret I have to Share with you all with Worrying about Future Pain Encounters. PLEASE DO NOT WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING BUT PRAY ABOUT THEM. I too was like you guys Until I became a Born Again CHRSTIAN 7+ YEARS AGO. OR LORD JESUS WIL NEVER LEAVE US , NOT EVEN IN OUR DARKEST HOUR. Remember, HE DIED FOR OUR SINS AND IFF YOU FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS IN THE HOLY BIBLE YOU WILLBE SAVE AND LIVE FOREVER WITH HIM AFTER YOU DIE. HE Promised us NO MORE PAIN. HE NEVER LIES, HE IS RIGHTIOUS. HE HAS NEVER SINNED. TO WORRY IS A SIN. Please Pray to HIM and YOUR LIVES Will Start to CHANGE, MINE DID. HE WILL GIVE YOU PEACE and PATENCE. I have done every procedeure andseen every doc. and taken every Med. there is for Pain. TRUST IN JESUS HE IN A WINNER, HE IS THE WAY, THE TRUTH and THE LIFE. HE Will Tell you what to do n YOUR HEARTS. MY E MAIL IS: boykoalley1@nezero.com. I live in Hawaii, What a Blessing. Our LORD Will TRUELLY BLESS YOU ALL, WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR HEARTS TO HIM E will NEVER GIVE YOU ANYTHING that You CANNOT Handle. I wil have to operate manny more times, because my PUMP either malfunctions or the battery goes dead. I think about that sometimes, But I Know that OUR LORD JESUS WILL BE BY MY SIDE VERY MONENT. HE IS YOUR BESTEST FRIEND and Also YOUR FATHER. ALOHA! PLEASE TRY WHAT I SUGGESTED, it WILL WORK IF YOU ARE SINCERE WHEN YOU ASK FOR HELP. ALOHA!

solarscar69~

My daughter was injured in March of 1999, and she had her rods removed May 2001. I was scared to death to have her undergo another operation. But she was determined to get her rods out. (Her injury is at T11/T12). She did just fine. It was nothing like the first time; duge is right. It's not a trauma situation..no feeding tubes, nothing like that. (She kept pulling her nose tube out as well..what a drag that was!!) Anyway, it took about six weeks for her to feel back to normal. They went down the same incision to remove the hardware; I would say her biggest discomfort was muscular. It hurt to raise her arms, twist..all that kind of stuff until those muscles healed. She was SO GLAD she got the rods out, though. She felt immediate relief.

My husband was injured in December of 2000, and he had his rods out in August 2001. I was a little concerned because I thought it was too soon, only nine months after the injury! But his surgeon said it was okay...and it was. He did just fine as well. He seemed to feel better in about four weeks. My guess is that, because my daughter's rods were in longer, they may have had more bone build-up around the hardware..but I don't know for sure. My husband is also very glad he went through the surgery. (His injury is at L1).

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I hope this helps. Take care, and keep us posted, okay?

Vicky

Adam

I remember the feeling of being tied down, also the tube through the nose. and the trach. I really don't rememeber a whole lot about it, but after 2 month's of pain then they found it. I didn't have much choice but to undergo the operation. was I scared? oh YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! would it be harder today to have it done again YES, because I know what to expect after, But still we are in better shape than when we had them done the first time so I really think we would go through it with flying colors!!!!!!!! If you were conscious the whole time that was worse! The whole time I ws out of it, "first trauma center stay" but you know I had 4 day's to think about it before the surgery, and I had almost came to ease with it, "I was still scared ot death" but I knew they were going to make me better than I was!

Good Luck Adam in which ever route you choose!!

Doug