Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looks like stenosis neuropathic pain

looks like stenosis neuropathic pain

finding out with a PT that some of my shocks and burning in my foot which is neuropathic is from my lumbar ares where i had the surgery

Hi, I am new here, but you mentioned surgery for stenosis, which I had (twice,) in the past year.

I was wondering if you would share your experience with me as I am new to this and to this site?

Thank you,
    AP

i haven't had any stenosis surgery , my surgeries were decompression of disc L4 to S1 and from previous activities and lumbar instability i have stenosis.
    i spoke to the neurosurgeon that did my last surgery about a fusion to stabilize my spine and correct the stenosis problems but he thinks the risk outweigh the benefits at this time. i have my bladder back , i spent over 2 years catheterizing and my bowels are much better, so to lose that stuff is always a risk. he say he cannot fix the neuropathic pain in my foot with surgery , only pain that travels down the leg.

Oh, I see. I had severe stenosis between C-5 and C-6, which was aggravated by a fall I took which pushed a vertabre into the cord a bit... I had a donor bone inserted... I had no choice with the surgery as the stenosis was severe and I had "no play," around the cord, there was a question as to whether I had permanate cord damage as well.

I was sorry to hear you had the catheter problem! At the time of my surgery, I was loosing some of that ability and I was loosing feeling in my legs for many years. I had no strength left in my fingers, the ones connected to the area that was severe.

I also have mild stenosis in C-3 to C-4, with a bulging disc, this was increased due to the fact that the metal used in my fusion failed and did damage above and below it. I had a second surgery to take the metal out about 8 months later...

Can I ask you, what pain medication, if any do you use? I was on Fentanyl until they diagnosed the problem with the metal and I had to "detox," from it which was a pure hell. I now have what they call "chronic pain," which I am using Percocet for, and not a lot at this time.

I don't know how old you are, but I am 45 and I am wondering how to deal with chronic pain for what could be a very long time. I am told that with stenosis, if one is severe, another area is likely to get that way, which is frightening. Pain control is a question for me now... Any advice, or experience would be helpful.

What is neuropathic pain, if I may ask?

I hope this is not too much in the way of inquiry and feel free to only write of what you wish, as I said I am sorry to hear of the trouble you had before your surgery...

I thank you so much for your reply...

AP

hi AP, yes its scary about the stenosis, i have heard the same thing about how if its in one spot it will be another area, i get numbness in my fingers sometimes, don't want to think about what my cervical area looks like with my unsettled youth . stenosis seems to be like electrolysis .
    this is a very good forum for pain related problems.
    i am 49 myself and my life has already been taken over by my pain problems.
    i use percocet , but i really hate the way it makes me feel. ultram works if the pain isn't to bad.. what kind of pain do you get from your stenosis? the electrical shocks and burning i get from the lumbar stenosis and nerve damage in the lumbar area

Good Morning NYC guy,
    Yes, the stenosis is scary, so is the surgery, which turned out to be twice, entering my neck! The stenosis that had to be fixed cause me very intense pain that built and built for years until it was diagnosed. The pain went from an ache in my twenties that could be controlled with just ibuprophen to burning and a deep unbearable pain that cause me to go to an ER a few times before an MRI to get demoral shots! No one thought it was stenosis as I had been to many, many doctors over the years for the pain because I was "too young." When they finally looked, it was very severe and there was no choice, my surgery was scheduled in about three weeks and I was put in a hard brace and told not to "move." The pain is strange as it changes,...it can burn, as you say, or it can ache and need narcotic pain-releivers, when the stenosis is severe, for me, it was not bearable, and I just kept going back! I have some permenate damage from that area anyway, and the metal what was put in my neck caused bulging above and below it, it seems as if I am pressing on one nerve, near C-3, C-4.
    I fractured my neck when I was 14 and this is some problem from that, although the stenosis is not. I was getting the numbness in my legs you speak of by age 20. Still, I am a professional ballet/jazz dancer and I have had a full career, controlling the pain any way I could. There were times that my legs would go completely numb, I would have to sit down and get up a min. or so later and could walk. In the end, with stenosis, I had NO strength in my thumb and fore fingers and in my arms... (you know, the arm strength test!) The surgeon put a fist on my head and hit it with his other fist and I felt shooting pain and a terrible vibrating jolt down my spin, (some test, huh?)

I also have a hemangenoma (benign tumor,) in the T's but it is not supposed to be a problem(?)

I am told that the pain was from the nerve endings being pressed and could stay, at least in some way forever after my surgery, I think this is true, the last surgery, to remove the metal was on Aug. 26. I have also learned that if one has surgery to repair one disc it is likely that another will "go," which is not nice either,

How much pain-reliever do you require? I am using only about 4 percocet a day which is a very large improvement over the fentanyl patches which are a story in themselves!

This is the first direct answer I have received from a pain forum so, again I very much appreciate it. I haven't talked to anyone directly with stenosis until you, and it wasn't for lack of looking! Makes one feel less "alone."

Please keep me up to date on your situation. I think my mail is listed in this forum, but if not, I will remedy that!

Much thanks.
    AP

as far as pain meds, some nights when the pain is bad its more than 2 percocet, stacked with a muscle relaxer(skelaxin), a low dose of tricylcic anti depressant such as 10 mg elavil or 25 mg desipramine. a nsaids(was vioxx now midoc), and anti seizure medication(now gabitril 16 mg at night) and ambien usually, unless i take the elavil.
    and i still wake up at 230 330am , which is usually 3 or 4 hours after lying down with shocks and intense pain, which means 2 more percocet.
    if the pain is normal i will take a ultram in lieu of the percocet, problem with that, is if the pain rockets up, i need to take the percocet on top of the ultram, which is probably not medically proper.
    during the day i take ultram, mostly, and lately muscle relaxers, plus 4 mg of gabitril in the morning,
    i used to control my pain by 3200 mg of neurontin, 10 mg elavil and either ultram or percocet. that probably would work again too, however i have more energy during the day now which is very important to me.
    i also go to acupuncture 2x a week for over 2 years..

Hi nyc guy,
    Wow, I remember those nights! I had those for some time! The waking up with the horrible muscle pain and needing to find SOME way to stop them and get back to sleep! I am so sorry this is happening to you! You say the surgery is too dangerous for you?

I was given a "recipe," by a friend who is an MD, (the other MD's I was seeing were not so helpful,) to help stop the mucsle cramping, in fact, put it off to being "dehydrated!" I had this happen for a year or so until the second surgery and I remember using Baclafen, Percocet and Valium, which usually stopped the "attacks," fairly quickly, but again they are so unbearable, I am sorry!
    I tried setting my alarm at night in order to ward off the muscle spasms, but it did not work, I was usually to late in waking myself...
    It is so very frustrating not to get a nights sleep.
    I take an anti-depressant also, I have for many, many years, but I had to increase it after the first surgery... It helps, certainly.
    I would ask you if you had tried a patch, but I was on them for about a year and the "detox" was so very bad, I don't know that I would want anyone going through that! (There are whole sites of people talking about how hard it is to dicontinue the patch...) I slept through the night now and then on the patch, but soon, as my surgery failed I woke up again and had to increase the dose of the patch... It was frightening.
    At this time, I require less pain medication, but when I was taking as much as you describe, they gave me the patch. Still, now and then I will wake up, but the spasms at night are gone, thank God.
    Why an anti convulsant? I was wondering. Does this help with spasms? I take for a relaxer, both backlafen, and Robaxen, which work fairly well for me. I found that baclafen, although the doctors were not so quick to perscribe it, worked very well in "releasing," muscles that had spasmed. I tried all of them from flexeril etc... I can't take any NSAID as I am allergic so I have to rely on percocet and relaxers at ths time.
    I also did much physical therapy, but the type I had was the "hard stuff," the weight lifting, (small weights,) and pulling of rubber bands and such. Although I enjoyed it because I am an athelete, I found it did not improve my condition at all. ( I do have "C" damage though, and yours is lower...)
    I will go back to your post and see again why you cannot have any corrective surgery again, it is terrible that you must suffer so and I am sorry for it, I remember it well...I also know that my condition could change at anytime, I don't think we ever forget that.
    The surgeon who did my surgery is one of the top in the country and still my metal failed... it makes one pause. Why do you still cramp in the night? What do they say is the cause for that? How about in the daytime, are you much better?
    Again, I am going to review the posts!

Thanks again, NYC guy, you are very kind to respond to me.

AmP

a note to NYC,
    I also was given neurontin for a few years, like you, I did not like the feeling of being "out of it," and also it seems to have many, many side effects, (bloating,) etc, that I couldn't handle. I still work as a choreographer and I couldn't stand well on it!
    Amp

the neurontin did work for me, but it also affected my bladder, water retention which made me have to cath many many times a day,
    and does something to my bowels. i have cauda equina syndrome bowels and the neurontin decreased their functioning.
    however when the pain is really bad i rather deal with the bowel and bladder issues than the constant pain.
    last night i raised my amitripyline/elavil to 20mgs,i kept waking up with extreme shocks even with 2 percocet and a skelaxin taking 2 hors previous, another percocet seemed to do the trick. the amitripyline helps me return to sleep when the shocks wake me up and i am waiting for the additional percocet to take effect at 3 am.