Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Describe your back pain....

Describe your back pain....

I suffer daily, severe backpain which progresses as the day goes on. I am wondering if my pain is similiar to anyone else's given similiar circumstances. I am trying to find a good pain control regime. I have rods/fusion from t11-l3.

My back is rigid all the time due to in being knotted/spasmed from the rods i suspect. The pain is more intense and possibly originates at the top and bottom of the fusion where the rods kinda end and where there is more sensitive spots if you press on it, like something poking and contiually wearing, scraping and bruising you from the inside out.

The muscles will pulse in a knifing, shock-like spasm every few seconds with litaratly a breath taking shock-like feeling, to where i have shallow breathing. Even the breathing will cuase me pain!

I can manage it pretty well during the day, but at night i suffer the long lived day. I can barly sleep.

I am taking ultram and neurontin 4x's a day with a vicodin at night when the pain is bad. I just took the ultram/neurontin 2 hours ago and still am in pain, not even the edge is taken off. I am seriously looking to party and take a vicodin. Not really, just want to stay away in pain. I sit at home alone on a Saturday night, which would be so strange for me before my accident, but i really care less whats going on now, as i am plenty occupied with pain these days. I have really sucluded myself from the outside world i feel. Pain controls life, for me anyways.

Anybody else want to comment?

You can see my decription at painonline.com, or look for the thread "Describe your painful sensations" in this forum.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

nites suck

yes my nites suck too, i may get through the day with only a couple ult rams but at night all hell breaks lose, its made me a hermit at night, i haven't gone out much in the last year. i have to medicate quite strongly at nite, ultrams do not work , so i cant drive, so i need to stay in. but usually i can get rid of the pain by the morning or at least by than an ultram will qwell it most mornings. i hate when the pain is so bad in the middle of the night that i got to take a lot of percocet which makes me feel like crap in the morning, but even worse is having pain during the day that i need to take stronger than ultram for, cause than i become housebound and cant get out and that sucks, so i am can deal with the evil nights as long as i have the days, but lately due to med, my days do not start till 11am . but still i can usually get out , which keeps the depression away.

i think the pain is worse at night with spine problems due to things swelling at night, but really just guessing, solar you may want to ask your doc about muscle relaxers, i have had to start with them myself,

solar, does the neurontin work on that kind of shocking pain you are describing, or did it work before and now its not? if it does or did you may get relief by going up a little up on the dose? certain meds work well on certain types of pain, and do not work at all on other types of pain.

Do you have the sensation of your bones sticking through the skin of your back? Does anyone?

Alan

i'm incomplete T-12 and pain was a huge issue right after my injury and just about 1 year later, is a bit better but I still have it and it impacts my concentration at work.

other than meds (opiates have only worked for me so far), I found that physio/gym exercises really help and that resting my back every 3 hours for about 20 mins helps much. But the most helpful of all was leaving a negative environment and now that I'm working for an employer/manager that does not expressively discriminate, i still feel pain all day long but at least it is easier to cope with..........all things for you to consider.

PS: actupuncture only worked for 30-90 mins...oh yeah, sry bout the spelling...im dead tired.

ss,

My back pain runs the gamet from dull ache to shooting. I believe it is either the rods or the fact thaat the break is right in the middle of my abs causing a muscle confusion. Ya know it feels like an oldstyle "indian burn" you used to give/get when you were a kid. Bigtime knotting sensation. Plus my abs contract and squeeze like a vise, takes my breath away.

I am a T10/inc with rods T8-T12. I can feel them in my back, always feel them when sitting in my chair. Talked to Doc about taking them out, haven't made up my mind yet.

I have a baclofen pump for leg spasticity, I think it helps a little on back but not much. I am on neurontin 3x day. Hydrocodone and ultram as needed. Things have gotten better with this combo for me.

Nights are waayyy better for me now. Leads me to think the vertical pressure of sitting gets me.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

How many of you have shoulder blades that "stick" when you move your arms? Mine catch on other bones, as well as my brace and the back of my chair.

Alan

Originally posted by alan:

How many of you have shoulder blades that "stick" when you move your arms? Mine catch on other bones, as well as my brace and the back of my chair.

Alan

You still wear your backbrace?

faster than a speeding ticket

A corset, to help with balance.

Alan