Thread: David Berg - metastatic cancer pain vs. central pain

David Berg - metastatic cancer pain vs. central pain

We always hear how terrible the pain of cancer is, and I'm not trying to belittle it. From where I'm sitting, though, I can't see how it can be any worse than the sensations I feel (and I'm not a terminal case, so natural release in the very near future isn't in the cards, as it is for the unfortunates who develop terminal cancer.) Is there a comparison between the two types of pain? Is the reason cancer pain relief gets mainstream publicity that central pain relief doesn't solely due to the fact that cancer pain is more common than central pain?

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Well, I hardly know how to answer this one. I had a relative that died of cancer a couple of years ago...by the time they found it, it was pretty much everywhere. He was one of these older guys that never went to the doctor, at least not until his hip broke. He hadn't fallen and it turned out his hip broke because of a tunor growing in the bone and that's when they found the rest of the cancer.

Anyway, I know he suffered a lot of pain, but I have no idea how you'd compare it with CP. I think you're right though...it probably gets more attention just because it's better known.
    In reality, CP is more common than people realize just because it can originate from so many different conditions; SCI, MS, stroke, arachnoiditis, trauma, even things like drug reactions and viral infections in rare cases. But a lot of people think MS pain is just MS pain, that SCI pain is just SCI pain, etc, without realizing the common thread, that it's all central pain because of the damage to the CNS. If all these forces can come together in their call for more pain research, we'll move toward a solution much more effectively.

This is one subject I know a little about so I'll add my 2 cents worth. My SCI results from metastatic cancer of the spine, I'm now a C6/7 incomplete, though very little still works.I know that the pain from the cancer was unbearable until they found the cause and I got proper meds, they found that I had over 42 asst'd verterbrae and rib fractures caused by the cancer which was the cause of most of the pain as well as the pressure placed on muscles, ligaments etc, due to the bone mass breakdown,(my spine looked like swiss cheese). On the otherhand, the pain I now experience is of an entirely different nature and is at times worse than I felt prior to surgery. I have severe spasticity in my legs and left arm as well as muscle spasms which are a real sob. This new pain seems much harder to treat, and while during cancer treatment the big guns like morphine and pethedine are readilly prescribed, dr's seem to turn a deaf ear to someone with sci related pain, some mentality that says loss of movement etc means no sensation or pain. While the cancer, which in my case we have found is fairly widespread and considered terminal was always carefully monitered and treated, the same can't be said once you end up in a chair. Hope this helps

Dear Shadow,
    Absolutely a wonderful post. Very sorry you have to go through both pains. Pseudomonas A is a toxin that is being linked to various monoclonal antibodies and then fed to animals. Oddly, it is melting tumors, used against cells with AIDS virus in them, and now, according to NIH (no articles yet) is being used to kill cells with pain receptors in them.

Because funds are short, it is absolutely essential we pool research on pain from the various illnesses. David is absolutely right.

[This message was edited by dejerine on 07-31-04 at 04:58 AM.]