Thread: Pain List

Pain List

(Copyrighted. Reprinted by permission for this site only).

Like most people, you probably think that paper cuts, road rash, incineration, and sliding down a hundred foot razor blade into a barrel of alcohol hurts. But the behaviorists know better. Since you can never be too careful, it seemed appropriate to list some guidelines.

Those who feel no pain:
    1) Others
    2) Soldiers, except those who needed any of the millions of morphine syrettes used by the armed forces.
    3) Shark bite victims, except those who did not appear on Oprah.
    4) Football players, except Steve Young and Deon Sanders, who were reported to say that "stingers" really hurt. (A stinger is a burning due to temporary nerve injury from a blow)
    5) Boxers, except Mohammed Ali, who said he felt terrific pain, especially when Joe Frazier broke his jaw.
    6) Lithuanians
    7) Any person who feels pain of any kind, as viewed by behaviorists OR as viewed by those who testify in court against pain sufferers.

Those who do experience pain:
    1) Me
    2) People with Central Pain
    3) People with other nerve injury pain
    4) Anyone who experiences pain.

[This message was edited by dejerine on 07-06-04 at 11:20 AM.]

People with central pain apparently don't experience pain. When my pains first appeared a month after the injury, I told the doctors at rehab. They told me I can't have pain below the level of injury. The Shock Trauma clinic later told me the same thing.

23 years later, thanks in part to those idiots not even trying to provide any relief, the pains keep getting worse despite no visible physical reason, I'm able to do and sit less each day (scoliosis plus CP is a bad combination), I spend more sleepless nights, and I just get more depressed and wish I could just croak and put an end to this torture. Bah.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

I always read what Alan writes because he can put more into fewer words than anyone I know. He is the great communicator about CP. Also, we both have visceral pain and can't tolerate much clothing, so Alan understands when I say shirts and soda are bad news. Alan is closer to Bethesda Md. than I am so he will get resiniferrotoxin before I do. And that is true even if I am ahead of him in line, because he can have my place any time. He has waited long enough.

Soda actually doesn't bother me - I don't drink it because I don't want all that sugar. Shirts do. Movement does. Riding in the van does (which is why, the rare times I get out, I can't go far.)

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

So, according to this, my foot does not hurt?
    The bone bleed I had does not make pain?
    The bruised nerve does not shoot pain up my leg?
    Oh, and the burning and tingling...thats not there either???

OH...I understand now...in the midst of my no pain during a 12 hour shift I will remember to not crack myself in the ankle with a big cardiac chair again...so that I will continue to have NO pain....

That was informative reading...I am not Lithuanian.

One more thing...OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...