Thread: Dr. Young- cure for pain

Dr. Young- cure for pain

Dr. Young-
    My neurogenic pain is really, really affecting my quality of life. I have tried all types of medications to no relief. What is the name of the procedure in which one's nerves are actually clipped. My cord is not severed physically, but Conus tissue is infarcted, covering a greater territory than a traumatic SCI. Relief of pain outweighs the few spared nerves I have, since they do not do much.

sherman brayton

Sherman,

Please, don't do it. Cutting the nerves may aggravate neuropathic pain.

Wise.

Haven't there been cases where cutting nerves has successfully alleviated neurogenic pain? Dr. Young, this pain is really holding me back from trying to enjoy what I have left. It is like a cruel irony, I have no sensation but yet have stinging, unrelenting burning below my waist. Does the fact that I suffered a Conus infarct from a Pial AVM mean that tissue damage is spread out, maybe contributing to this pain? I spoke with a physiatrist who feels that it might be an option since some of the spared nerves I have mean that there is a tiny fraction of live tissue down there, but not enough to be of any use. I mean do I want to continue to be able to wiggle my toe and have chronic pain, or possibly relieve the burning pain while severing a nerve which really isn't of much practical use. It used to make me feel better to see that big toe wiggle, but 5 years later, I realize that this is the only thing that will ever move on my lower body.

sherman brayton

Sherman, I agree completely with Dr. Young that it's a really bad idea to cut the cord or other nerves as a "cure" for pain. Again and again I've read accounts of people doing this and being thrilled with the results....for awhile. Then 6, 12, maybe 24 months down the road the pain comes back, often even worse than before!!!

Many doctors have who used to do this procedure have stopped due to the high risk of complications such as I mentioned above. The only case where I MIGHT endorse (in my layman's opinion) severing the cord is in cases where the patient is terminal with less than 2 years to live, such as an end-stage cancer patient. That would allow an improved quality of life and the patient would have the chance to enjoy freedom from pain for their last few months. In that case, if the pain returned while the patient was still alive, you would have the option of severing the cord at a higher level. If a patient is NOT terminal you can't just keep going higher and higher every so often.

If you have any doubt about problems with pain after a nerve is cut, just do a few minutes of research on phantom pain. If someone loses a limb, they might still feel like they're having horrible pain from the limb that isn't even there anymore. This has been thoroughly documented since the Civil War. The consequences of of cutting the cord are, if anything, even more serious.

brayton hoew high did you go on the meds?
    i know nuerontin didnt work for you .
    it worked for me at 3200 4x 800 also 10 to 20 mg elavil in the evening.
    the spinal stimulaturor and intrascell pumps dont help either?

Blog Entries
    Sherman, I very much relate to your lament. Your description of lower extremity pain most closely paralells my own. Howerever subjective, I could still swear my pain levels have increased since dr Huang's metaphorical conveyer belt and OEG factory.
    Hopefully, it may lead to good some day.

i have bad CES pain that will totally incapacitate me at has made me think there was no future worth looking forward to.
    than i had a injury to my affected limb , and i got a whole different set of pains, that put me over the edge in a worse way
    the pain doc still says spinal cord stim , but i am stubborn , i still think a lot of the new trauma pain is localized nerve pain
    and my CES central pain is somewhat controlled now with acupuncture 2x a week, plus some ultram , and a tricyclic ,
    pain sucks ,

Spinal cord stim did nothing for me. To have a chance of being effective, the stimulator probably has to be placed above your injury site (as does a pain pump catheter, I'm told), so the message reaches your brain. Scar tissue at the site could prevent such placement.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"