Thread: Pain Therapeutics to Present Neuropathic Pain Data at Scientific Meeting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pain Therapeutics to Present Neuropathic Pain Data at Scientific Meeting

Interesting new report Source

SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., April 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Pain
    Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: PTIE), a biopharmaceutical company, today
    announced positive pre-clinical data on a novel treatment for neuropathic
    pain. The Company will present its pre-clinical data at the Scientific
    Meeting of the American and Canadian Pain Societies on Friday, May 7, 2004 in
    Vancouver, Canada.
    The treatment is apparently the combination of "ultra low-dose natrexone plus morphine" to block thermal hyperalgesia and mechanical hypersensitivity (allodynia) in a neuropathic pain model by Todd W. Vanderah, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Pharmacology, University of Arizona and Lindsay H. Burns, Ph.D., Director of Pre-clinical Research at Pain Therapeutics, Inc.

That sounds like it might be a good answer for me, my pain seems to be held off now by a combination on neurontin and time release morphine (Oromorph). The down side is the sleepy feeling, some days I just can't wake up, other days I'm just fine.

Wise,

I clearly remeber posting this earlier on this forum & I always check my posts to not make doubles...

There was no your post when I posted mine
    Yet timing appears that you posted earlier,,,,
    Check the responce of same member to both our posts..
    And this thing happened to couple posts before-I thought I'm going crazy
    Could it be some carecure glitch because you moderator & I'm just a member

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45300

It's the Matrix....the Oracle told me this would happen

max, it was my mistake... Your post actually appeared before mine but, for some reason, I did not see yours either. Sorry. Wise.

It sounds like I'm in a similar situation as Aquitane. I take 4800mg of Neurontin and 60mg of MSContin (time release morphine)a day and that combo. seems to keep my pain at a level that allows me to function. Sleepiness is a downside, but the closer I am to being asleep, the lower my pain level is. When I'm asleep, I'm in no pain at all. Maybe this stuff would work for me as well. I don't know what natrexone is. I'll have to look that one up.

For those of you on morphine doesnt it make you hallucinate? Because when I was in intensive care that morphine had me seeing and thinking crazy stuff.

No, In my case I don't hallucinate at all. The morphine I take is released slowly over a twelve hour period and the dose is pretty small.

Hi GeorgeH,

I'm at 3600mg neurontin, however I've had 41 operations under general anesthesia, and my threshold to opioids is pretty high, so while I started at 60mg a day, within 10 months my body has built up enough resistance to require 180mg a day to have any effect. At this point its leveled off and this dosage (1 60mg tablet 3 times a day) seems to work. Have you had any problems with resistance to the oromorph yet? Probably not as bad as mine, 180mg of even time-release morphine would have most large males asleep all day , I'm pretty sure the sleepiness is caused by the neurontin as when I reduce that it subsides, but the pain comes back , reducing the morphine doesn't help anything.

Hello Aquitaine. I only recently doubled the MS Contin from 30mg/day to 60mg/day. I'm about four years post accident (roof fall- t10 complete para)and my pain didn't develop until about 8-10 months post accident. It's a constant burning pain in both butt cheeks and down the back of my left thigh. When it's really bad, the genital and rectal areas are involved as well; although the pain there is more of a squeezing or pressure type pain. Difficult to describe. I had 2 major DREZ surguries in 2003, each with the hope of eliminating this pain. Unfortunately, neither worked and I've lost about 2-3 inches of sensory level as a result of the surgeries. To answer your question about whether I've built up a tolerance to the MS Contin...to tell you the truth I don't know. I THINK I feel a little better on 60mg/day than I did at 30mg/day but I'm not sure. I really don't think the MSContin reduces the pain at all. It just dulls me down to the point where I can tolerate it. When I'm wide awake, alert, and really living life, the pain is so bad that it makes me want to croak. Living in a fog is no real way to live, but it's the only thing I have right now. I'd like to try doubling the MS Contin again up to 120mg/day to see if I can tell any difference. I'll talk to my pain doc about that. He's not afraid to try anything. He had me all the up to 12,800 mg/day of Neurontin for a little while. It didn't seem to do any more than the 4,800mg/day is doing so we stopped that pretty quick. I also couldn't afford it.