• Variable wo/PD

0 0%
  • Periodic w/PD

3 16.67%
  • Periodic wo/PD

0 0%

Thread: Pain Frequency and Personality Deterioration

Pain Frequency and Personality Deterioration

This poll is trying to determine how many people have pain that is steady, always there but in varying degrees, or that only occurs periodically. It will also ask if you feel there is any kind of increased personality deterioration (mood swings, etc). The poll assumes that just having CP causes some level of personality deterioration, select w/PD only if there is additional deterioration during bad days, or during each occurance.

Please select a frequency and indicate if it is connected with any personality deterioration.

Frequencies:
    Steady - no real change, no good or bad days, no additional PD.
    Variable - pain always there but it varies, there are good and bad days.
    Periodic - pain only occurs periodically, a number of times per day, week, etc.

Personality:
    w/PD - with personality deterioration:
    . Variable - during bad days.
    . Periodic - for each occurance.
    wo/PD - without any personality deterioration.

[This message was edited by Aquitaine on 03-30-04 at 01:19 PM.]

my pain has changed , it was steady for 2 years,. now its periodic. if my ankle or foot moves a lot, it flares up, if i swim and the foot flops around i will have neuropathic pain at night..
    if i was walking again, it would probably go back to the steady state, requiring anti seizure meds 24/7
    since i am no longer limping around, and sitting move of the time, my neuropathic pain has gone to zero. i realize now. looking at my pain diary/log that the acupunture i go to 2x a week , has a real lot to do with this decrease in pain.
    now unfortunately i have totally different pain , that hurts when ever i weight the foot, its a nerve pain, but its localized in the foot and not spinal peripheral nerves originating as my other pain..

[This message was edited by metronycguy on 03-30-04 at 05:06 PM.]

Constant, and increasing.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Aquitaine, I think some people may feel that their pain is constant and, as a result, there has been a chronic change in their personalities, either with depression, nihilism, lack of patience, despair, etc. Do you want to provide for this?

Calico

Originally posted by calico:

Aquitaine, I think some people may feel that their pain is constant and, as a result, there has been a chronic change in their personalities, either with depression, nihilism, lack of patience, despair, etc. Do you want to provide for this?

Calico
    Unfortunately the poll function here only allows 5 selections, that was the best 'spread' I could get. I really was looking for the relationship, if any, of changes in pain level to changes in personality. If you have CP symptoms, its more than likely that its affected your personality, whether it steady, variable, or periodic. This poll isn't anywhere NEAR capable of qualifying the KINDS of personality deterioration. So basically, you should answer like this:

is CP pain steady? if yes, then its assumed personality is affected at some level.
    is CP pain variable? if yes, does the change affect your personality further?
    is CP pain periodic? if yes, when the pain hits, does it affect your personality further?

Now, obviously a person's personality may deteriorate even if the pain is steady, for various reasons, but I'm trying to connect changes in pain to changes in personality so that's not scored here. Also it may seem obvious that there would be a change for periodic pain, but thats something I'm trying to find out. Maybe the periodics personality, although deteriorated just due to the fact that they have CP, stays the same whether they are actually having pain or not.

Does that answer your quetions Calico? The poll is assuming that due to having CP in the first place, that there has been a chronic change in their personalities of some sort, whether its very minor, or extreme, in its effect. I guess if you have CP and don't feel there has been ANY personality deterioration, by all means reply and let me know that too, not to sound glib, but in that case you're a better man than I, charlie brown .

OK, think I got it and answered the poll.

Calico

Originally posted by calico:

OK, think I got it and answered the poll.

Calico
    Great! Maybe we can put something together to poll for personality changes due to CP in the future. Just have to figure a way to do it with 5 responses.

And thanks to everyone who have taken part in the poll, seems to be an overwhelming proportion that have personality deterioration caused by changes in their pain level. It also show that those who have periodic pain (like me) seem to be the smallest group of pain sufferers, and those with variable pain are the largest.

I'll give it a couple more days, then I'll post results, interpretations, etc.

Bump for people who haven't had a chance to vote.. I will keep it up until April 11.

Last bump, and last chance to vote!!