Thread: Elbows

Elbows

Well, by now u all know I'm a c5-c6 quad. My problem is, since april last year when in a trip to Tenessee (sp) I hurt my elbow, not bad just brused and a bit swollen, it's very picky now, both arms r easly sore but it seems to get worst and worst. I push on them a lot to straighten out and change position so, it's becoming an issue. I guess my question is: Is this just aging with SCI or something else? Ive had bursitis on both shoulders for over ten years but never let it freeze so, I don't know, I mean, my joints r so sensitive, they swell easy.... oh well

...It's the heart afraid of breaking,that never learns to dance... It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance... It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give, and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

Elbows

I am not quite clear on what the problems are. Elbow pain? Swelling? Loss of ROM? Skin breakdown? Please be more specific. Thanks.

(KLD)

Polett, you should consider taking a glucosamine/chondroiten/msm combo. I had bursitis in one elbow twice but never experienced it again after taking the suppliment.

SCI-NURSE

It's pain, swelling every so often... no skin breakdown exept for when I bruse it against the arm rest... it's crampy sometimes and, it can give me shivers, goose bumps and cold sweats when leaning on it over 10 min.

...It's the heart afraid of breaking,that never learns to dance... It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance... It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give, and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

Elbow pain

I would suggest that you have an evaluation of your elbows by a physiatrist and/or orthopedist to be sure that there is no treatable pathology before you assume that this is just due to aging. Many people at your level of injury are subject to nerve entrapment syndromes of the elbow due to placing a lot of pressure on the elbows in the wheelchair or while doing ADLs. You would also want to rule out a chronic or septic bursitis.

Do you wear elbow pads (like Heelbos?)? We recommend these for many people at your level of injury (and often lower) to help prevent trauma and pressure on the sensitive elbow tissues.

(KLD)