Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neurontin or elavil for Neuropathic pain?

Neurontin or elavil for Neuropathic pain?

ive been having this annoying feelin in all of boths my legs since my accident. i know is neuropathic pain and i recently went to the doctor about it and my bladdar. he prescribed elavil 100mg a day, and detrol la 4mg a day. my other doctor told me that elavil is a great sleeping aid and not to take it, and that neurontin is better, so now i got neurontin 300mg. Doc said to take one a day for a few days then go to two a day. how many do you take?????????? this NP isnt as hurtful as it is annoying. i just want it gone. can anyone help???? thank you

Josh Stevens
    T6 para as of 7/17/03

"Nobody's perfect...til you fall in love with them!"

i know about neuro pain..
    your doctor should really explain to you the increasing doasge for the neurontin, but it sounds like you have 100 mg capsules. they come in different sizes.
    they usually start you out at 100 mg a day and slowly build you up to the dose they want you to try and stabilize at. which sounds like 300mg.. at the end you shoud be taking the 300 mg divided up every 8 hours, i would think your doctor or pharmacy would have explained this.
    most people find that if you take a small piece of high protein food with the neurotin it will help stop some unwanted side effects..
    the elavil dose sounds high to me a lyperson, i take 10 mg or 20 mg at nite before bed to help with neuropathic pain, i dont know how 100mg would do me..

Metro...I think Josh meant he's taking 300mg 2x/day...that's what I was started on.

Josh...My doc started me on the 300mg twice a day too...I got nothing from it. I have real bad n/p pain in feet and legs and butt all the time burning and pin n needles. I then went up to 600mg twice a day and what a difference it made. It cut my n/p pain in half the second day I was on it. I took that dose for about 6 months. I am now having more pain and despite all attempts to reduce it through other means, ie: exercize, massage, heat, etc. I saw my doc yesterday and he upped my dosage to 600mg 3 times daily. If this does as good as the first up-dosing, I should be better this week.

If your n/p pain isn't that bad...maybe you don't really need the neurontin. Try exercize, hot baths, massage, etc. first. Mine is terrible so I need the drug. I can't take any pain killers due to liver factors so neurontin and skelaxin are all I've got. Thank god they work for me.

Neurontin does have side effects but like Metro said, if you take with food they are minimal.

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

i think neurotin comes in 100,300,400 mg capsules , and 600mg and 800mg tablets
    i think i was started on 300mg a day but that was a long time ago, than i went 600, 900, 1800, 2400. 3200 a day, 800mg every 6 hours...
    is where i got my final relief, as my levels of activity increased my pain would go up , and my dosage would be adjusted , it worked well.
    i found neurontin a good drug it takes a couple weeks to get the full effects, and the levels can be raised no reson to live with the burning at all. your body ussually adapts pretty well to the higher doases within a couple weeks, for neuropathic pain i found that takaing the same dose broken into 4 doses a day every 6 hours rather than 3 doses every 8 hours worked better.. see how your pain works out keep a pain log, from the time you take the neuronton till the next time you feel pain, especially if the doc is telling you to take it 2 x a day, every 12 hours , pain logs i find are important to find the right combinations.
    but i am not a medical personal, just a pain sufferer...

the neurontin is 300mg each and im now on Detrol la 4mg and im cathing alot less now than before. is one of these medications making me retain fluid? i dont want to be incontinent but i also dont want to be bloated. im a male for pitty sakes, i know we have our times of the month also, but never experienced anything like this. i quit takin the elavil cause i heard that itll make me so drousy that its not worth it. thanks

Josh Stevens
    T6 para as of 7/17/03

i was prescribed elavil at 10 to 20 mg for sleep and neuropain in evening , which mine tends to escalate in evening and wake me up .
    when my pain is high i take it , dont really like it at that dose myself it , but everybody has different reactions,, but i find it does help stop the neuropain from waking me up while i am asleep. , and if that does happen than i need to take 2 percocet if i am hopefully going togo back to sleep. i find if i take ultram in evening i cant sleep even with ambien..but than i take zonegran now for neuropain 24/7, i never had a problem sleeping when i was taking neurontin. and sleep is important , just getting a night sleep is a milestone sometimes with stuff.

[This message was edited by metronycguy on 01-24-04 at 07:49 PM.]

Metro...

That idea of a pain log to see what and what combinations work best is a great idea. I had never thought of it. I'm starting one tomorrow. Do you have a format or matrix for one? If so, please post...I'm sure I'm not the only one that could benefit from it.

*slaps forehead for not thinking of this a long time ago*

Kap

"It's not easy being green"

hi kap,
    I have been dealing with the neuro pain for almost 3 years now and have learned a lot here, and have also learned that doctors really don't know a lot about it what sets it off. as many of the long-term sufferers and doctor young here have expressed and enlighted me here.
    also since I am mobile and have movement there is a definite correlation between activity/ flexation of nerve injured foot and my neuro pain.
    they can prescribe us meds to qwell it hopefully if we are lucky , as we know some aren't as fortunate.
    we are the only ones that can see the relationship between daily activity and neuropain...if any
    I see it very clearly in my case...but with the right combination of medications it may be possible to be pain free. which is what I strive for, and be active..
    I just use a calendar book that's large enough for me to write in daily, American express sent me a free 8x10 appoint book, I find that works great for me, it has a daily calendar with plenty of space to write,
    I am sure any computer palm pilot type daily log would work, I was using outlook journal for awhile, but preferred the written book, easier and quicker to flip a page. but palm pilot may work...
    so every day I put down my meds and what time I take them, it I swim I log that in, if I do abs/crunches , I log that. . anything that may trigger a neuro pain episode, sex , out in cold weather and got cold feet, a lot of ankle movement, or even stretching, I can than see a correlation with the daily activities and the neuro pain..

also I log in what medications I take , if I wake up at 2 am and take percocet , the next morning I am sure I log that in plus quality of sleep is a big issue with me, with zonegran I need ambien every night.
    I started taking supplements like alpha liphioc acid and extra sublingual b12, and acupuncture 2 x a week, I am sure I log those acupuncture days in too. this way I have a better idea what is working, and when the pain is happening,
    some medication take a while to take effect like 2 weeks, and the side effects life sleepiness become much more tolerable as you body adapts, so its important to give them the full chance before quitting them to quickly.

josh how did you make out?
    i noticed in the last couple weeks that by taking just 10 mg of elavil in the evening , i can sleep through the night and not be woken up by neuropain, i find the nights i dont take it i am awoken and need to take a couple percocets.
    actually works quite well on neuropain at a low dose, at least with me

i am now taking one 100mg tablet of neurontin in the mornin and one in the evening. my pain wasnt as bad as it was just annoying. i found that this is helpin quite abit and so i am tryin to stay with it.. i dont want to take too much meds, i already take enough.. the pain doesnt keep me awake at all. i find that when i first wake up, their is no pain for a few minutes. what does that mean exactly?

Josh Stevens
    T6 para as of 7/17/03