Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus, Substance P and Chronic Pain

Tinnitus, Substance P and Chronic Pain

Has anyone here developed tinnitus (ringing/other noises in the ears) after their chronic pain began? The reason I asked is because I did and the sequencing and time spans seemed too coincidental. I developed neuropathic pain, and one month later, tinnitus.

The reason I ask is there's an article in the current Tinnitus Foundation newsletter called "Potential Involvement of Pain Receptors and Substance P in Tinnitus Relief". This study was done to see how Substance P and glutamate affected auditory nerve fibers. The study showed that substance P can modify the neurons in the inner ear.

I know that substance p and glutamate are being studied as they relate to chronic pain. Maybe the tinnitus research will add some knowledge to pain research. I get some hope that there's synergy among the different branches of disease research.

Calico

Originally posted by calico:

Has anyone here developed tinnitus (ringing/other noises in the ears) after their chronic pain began? The reason I asked is because I did and the sequencing and time spans seemed too coincidental. I developed neuropathic pain, and one month later, tinnitus.

The reason I ask is there's an article in the current Tinnitus Foundation newsletter called "Potential Involvement of Pain Receptors and Substance P in Tinnitus Relief". This study was done to see how Substance P and glutamate affected auditory nerve fibers. The study showed that substance P can modify the neurons in the inner ear.

I know that substance P and glutamate are being studied as they relate to chronic pain. Maybe the tinnitus research will add some knowledge to pain research. I get some hope that there's synergy among the different branches of disease research.

Calico

Sorry! Posted a second message here by mistake!

Calico

calio, it is the first time that I have heard of somebody developing tinnitus associated with onset of neuropathic pain. They may not be related. Wise.

No tinnitus here.

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

how loud is the ringing in the ears? i ask because i have it alot, but its not overpowering...

It's pretty darn loud to me and it never stops. I had it tested once and I believe the tester said it was 40 decibals in both ears which puts it between a whisper at 5 feet (20 decibals) and conversational speech (60 decibals). It coming on the heals of the neuropathic pain really increased my depression. It was like my body was screaming to get my attention.

At the same time I got diagnosed with a severely compressed cervical spinal cord and was waiting for surgery, I went to see an ear/nose/throat doc, and he said he'd be interested to know if the tinnitus resolved after surgery because often people with whiplash got tinnitus.

Calico

i would think it must be pretty loud to bother you , i get it a lot , i hasve it now in one ear but its low, it may be from swimming too , if i use my palm too form suction itgoes a way for awhile , buts its not overpoering, , plus i have had middle ear surgery from decompression sicksness, so i cant place it with the neuro pain

Tinnitus, ear pain, and whiplash

This is a rather late reply to your inquiry about tinnitus. I was absolutely stunned when I read your question and symptoms concerning neuopathic pain and tinnitus. When you mentioned whiplash, I was equally surprised. I developed ear pain a year ago and shortly thereafter, the tinnitus began. At first it was intermittent, and then it simply came to stay. It is loud and constant and I have to work very hard to ignore it. In addition, I was involved in a car accident. Briefly, a friend and I were in his pickup truck on the interstate, rounded a corner, saw that there was road construction ahead, slowed to a stop and were waiting to merge from the right lane into the left and bam! We were rear ended by a semi travelling 70 mph. The highway patrolmen told us that the truck never engaged his brakes one time! Because we were wearing our seatbelts, we were not ejected. The great news is that we survived. The bad news is that I am now dealing with multiple neck and back pain. My friend has a numb right leg. I'm taking Lyrica for the nerve/ear pain and have inquired at the Care Cure Community site about how to get off it. It has so many negative side effects that I am seeking an alternative. Neurontin was suggested as a means. I will explore that option with my doctor. Please let me know how you're doing with your tinnitus. Thanks! Sheryl

ringing in the ears

There are so many medications that can cause that too. Asprin being one and Ibuprofen . Check all your meds . I ask my dr. to change some of mine to something else because of ringing side effects and by george it works . What meds do yu take.
    Neurontin is a big weight gainer I would think about that one .
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous