Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: topomax causing gout like pain...

  1. #1

    topomax causing gout like pain...

    i need new pain doctor, this one doesnt listen, and luckily haven't totally ruined my brain with unnecessary drugs..... lucliky i am still thinking and not giving up to this
    pain i am having seems to mimic gout, my foot is causing extremely pain anytime the foot joint move... i informed my pain management doctor 2x of this.. now he want to try a nerve stimulator, i didn't have this problem until i started the topomax,,,, now reading about gout, it sounds like the same thing, anytime my muscle dead foot joint are moved i have extreme pain.. reading about topomax i see it causes kidney stones , which is basically gout in the kidneys according to my layman eyes...
    i know its the topomax that caused this, went to gabitril yesterday , i wonder if the damage is permanent and what to do now.. ready to chop this foot off so i can get my mobility back . i hope this topomax didn't cause permanent damage ....is there a drug i can take to flush the crap in my foot out... foot was even red to all the time, sandals felt better than athletic shoes...all gout like symptoms

  2. #2
    Originally posted by yonkersguy:

    i need new pain doctor, this one doesnt listen, and luckily haven't totally ruined my brain with unnecessary drugs..... lucliky i am still thinking and not giving up to this
    pain i am having seems to mimic gout, my foot is causing extremely pain anytime the foot joint move... i informed my pain management doctor 2x of this.. now he want to try a nerve stimulator, i didn't have this problem until i started the topomax,,,, now reading about gout, it sounds like the same thing, anytime my muscle dead foot joint are moved i have extreme pain.. reading about topomax i see it causes kidney stones , which is basically gout in the kidneys according to my layman eyes...
    i know its the topomax that caused this, went to gabitril yesterday , i wonder if the damage is permanent and what to do now.. ready to chop this foot off so i can get my mobility back . i hope this topomax didn't cause permanent damage ....is there a drug i can take to flush the crap in my foot out... foot was even red to all the time, sandals felt better than athletic shoes...all gout like symptoms
    Do you think it is possible you may actually
    have gout?

    My husband has had some flare-ups in the past..and it does sound very much similar
    to what you are describing.

    I don't recall what medicine he used when
    he had. But it did take some time to resolve.
    And he had to re-think his diet.

    Many drugs cause joint pain..even some cholesterol controllers. But the redness and
    severe swelling plus the severe joint pain..
    seems like gout to me.

    Maybe you need to see an internist that can
    treat you and determine if it is gout.
    Good luck...

    If you can dream it..you can
    do it. Walt Disney

  3. #3
    my psyitrist sent me to ER this am, he doesnt think its gout like because only 1 foot, my paralised foot, he thinks its a stess fracture, which also makes sence, since all i could do was bicycle ride for the last month,
    due to my paralysid in my foot/calf muscles i wal with a limp wacky action, so it does also make sence the foot is broken , anf that why it hurts to walk on it... the xrays came back negatice,,, but i think that means nothing, could be small cracks that only show when flexes, bu ti did have the ER prescribe indometacina nsaid that is used for gout .
    so maybe that will cause relief..
    i think its gout like pain since topomax bad side effect is uric acid increase, kidney stones , gout is caused by the same..
    problem started when i started topomax and when
    verizon removed me from my light duty sedentry job that required no walking to a job that required walking all day... they have been were trying to break me and force me off the payroll into LTD , 2 more years i get retirement. i have been getting lawyers now..
    i dont fit the profile of a normal gout patinet.
    i am super athletic, with great blood pressure,
    weigh about 170 at 5 10 , have ben eating fish and healthy for 15 years..
    topomax have been on for 6 weeks and thats when i realized i was having problem with pain limping.
    they took blood at the hospital to check for uric acid, but results wont be known till monday.seems all the anti seizure medications for neuropathic pain reduce my kidney function...so over 2 years on neurontin at 3200 a day probably didnt help either,, cant do much more till next week..

  4. #4
    yonkersguy, gout can be diagnosed also from the uric acid levels in your blood. If your uric acid levels are normal and the x-rays do not show evidence of bony inflammation, you probably do not have gout. Wise.

  5. #5
    Originally posted by Wise Young:

    yonkersguy, gout can be diagnosed also from the uric acid levels in your blood. If your uric acid levels are normal and the x-rays do not show evidence of bony inflammation, you probably do not have gout. Wise.

    thanks dr wise ... when i was at the ER this am i had them draw blood and test for uric acid, i told them about my topomax suspicions, i also have blood work done pretty regularly since i am on so many meds that affict liver and kidney, so i know i have a benchmark of 6 months ago to compare to.uric acid was never high
    the uric acid results will not be known until monday they said..
    no break in the foot xray though.

  6. #6
    yonkersguy,

    Hope someone finds out exactly what is going
    on here.
    Did the NSAID you were given in the ER do any
    good?

    My husband too is an avid bike rider..and AB
    to boot..but gout kicked his butt.

    Will you be able to function without the topomax?
    Hope this resolves for you.

    If you can dream it..you can
    do it. Walt Disney

  7. #7
    Originally posted by Lindox:

    yonkersguy,

    Hope someone finds out exactly what is going
    on here.
    Did the NSAID you were given in the ER do any
    good?

    My husband too is an avid bike rider..and AB
    to boot..but gout kicked his butt.

    Will you be able to function without the topomax?
    Hope this resolves for you.

    If you can dream it..you can
    do it. Walt Disney
    my uric levels were fine, the indocin seemed to work a bit,
    but it is looking more like a stress fracture of my foot. since most of my foot doesnt work , it kinda flops down, so off to orthopedic doc on wednesday. glad i realized something was wrong and that this wasnt neuropathic pain. but weight bearing pain. would have been a shame to put a pain pump in me for a broken foot! bad enough they were insreasing my topomax levels and i was sucking down ultrams every 4 hours at work...since they changed my sedentry work to making me walk around in allys and ditched as part of my work days .... Verizon#%@$#$ holes..
    and they have a great story in their company newspaper on working within restrictions and accomadating disabled..
    they broke my already damaged foot...i am pissed

  8. #8
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by yonkersguy:

    .... Verizon#%@$#$ holes..
    and they have a great story in their company newspaper on working within restrictions and accomadating disabled..
    they broke my already damaged foot...i am pissed

    yonkersguy,
    So sorry. You are in the one foot in one world the other in another world juggling act. It can be difficult to say the least.

    ADA never has covered this area..and business
    owners are grateful for that believe me.

    Good luck with your ortho.
    One thing I've found out..is keep your specialists and get the best you can find.
    But always have a good internist as your primary care provider. For some reason they
    are less robotic..and find viable answers
    to complex problems.

    And you have due reason to be pissed off.

    If you can dream it..you can
    do it. Walt Disney

  9. #9
    Many orthopedic surgeons will just refer foot problems to a podiatrist. When I had my foot surgery last year I was lucky enough to locate an orthopedic surgeon that specifically specializes just in foot surgery. Considering that the foot is one of the most complex parts of the body, you really want someone who is really on top of things. Hunt around, maybe you can find one of the other few ortho docs in the country that specialize in feet. The one I located is in St. Louis, at Barnes-Jewish Hospital.

  10. #10
    Originally posted by David Berg:

    Many orthopedic surgeons will just refer foot problems to a podiatrist. When I had my foot surgery last year I was lucky enough to locate an orthopedic surgeon that specifically specializes just in foot surgery. Considering that the foot is one of the most complex parts of the body, you really want someone who is really on top of things. Hunt around, maybe you can find one of the other few ortho docs in the country that specialize in feet. The one I located is in St. Louis, at Barnes-Jewish Hospital.
    i agree years ago beofe i was injured and i was a runner, and trained with roller skis for xc skiing racing i devloped mortins neuroma that caused me to have 2 nerves removed from between my metatursal. tomorrow willl tell , maybe a simple walking cast and crutuches will get me mobile again,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •