Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxicontin vs fentanyl topical patch

Oxicontin vs fentanyl topical patch

Hi all

I have received alot of great info from this site and would like to thanks all especially Dr Wise Young.

My question is that I stopped taking Oxicontin 80mg x 2 per day along with Oxicodone for breakthrough pain 5mg 2-3 times daily. What is the max daily does for the fentanyl topicalpatch
    and does anyone know what the eqivalint to the above drugs I was taking would be equal to the Fentanyl

Also what is the best med for breakthrough pain? I have tried oxicontin 5mg and loritab 7.5 neither seem to help.

Thanks Mark

[This message was edited by Jws on 08-22-03 at 09:26 PM.]

Can't tell you much about oxyc. but I'm on 200mcg's of duragesic patch scrips every 72 hrs. and they work as well as anything or better that I've had w/o leaving me fuzzy headed. Believe it or not plain old darvocet n100 (2) work better than the stronger percocet, vicodin for my breakthrough. I have times when nothing controls it except I.V. Demerol but I've had some Pain blocks that help for awhile and Bac. pump for spasms and AD control.WR

Thanks for the info I see they make a 100mcgs patch are you on 2 at one time? No Pharmacist could give me the equivalent to 180mg of oxicontin. Just wondering what it would be.

Thanks

Please see my comments in Trying to move on to Fentanyl Patches

Wise.

I use 2 100mcg patches. They do better if you put 2 new ones on after 48-60 hrs leaving the old ones on so you keep a steady dose cuz after 48 hrs it starts getting weak and the newones take 12 hrs to take effect. WR

I am currently on oxycontin 40mg x3 daily. I too am trying to move across to fentanyl and am asking the same questions.
    I tried to reduce the oxycontin slowly and introduce the fentanyl as the oxycontin is only just holding off the pain.
    I reduced the nightly 40mg by 20mg and used a 25 fentanyl patch. This didnt work and so I added another 25 patch. This didnt help.
    From what I have read it seems that 200mcg is the norm for fentanyl. Based on this and the fact that 50mcg wasnt holding back the reduction of only 20mg oxycontin I got scared, abandoned the patches and went back to oxycontin.
    Not much help I know but I just want you to know that I am in the same boat.
    With regards to breakthrough I take 10mg oxycodone instead of 5mg. At one stage I was prescribed up to 10mg every 3 hours!
    I also take 75mg amitriptaline per night for nerve pain. It really helps but can cause havoc on the bowel when mixed with the oxycontin. It can also cause drowsiness.

Me again.
    It looks like our questions are answered in a posting a few down from yours called "trying to move onto fentanyl patches", as pointed out by Wise.
    I guess I should have read that before posting my reply.
    Sorry!!

Has anyone heard of Palladone, and the US excepted name brand. I am currently discussing with my doctor about switching from 100mcg fent and 15 mg ir morphine. Is it true that it is not FDA approved?

It's time release Dilaudid.

At present, it is not available in the US:

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/.../ucm051743.htm

This product is not currently available for purchase in the U.S.
    FDA is issuing this public health advisory to inform patients and health care providers that the sponsor of Palladone, Purdue Pharma, has agreed to suspend sales and marketing of Palladone (hydromorphone hydrochloride, extended release capsules), a potent narcotic painkiller, because of the potential for severe side effects if Palladone is taken with alcohol.

Has anyone heard of Palladone, and the US excepted name brand. I am currently discussing with my doctor about switching from 100mcg fent and 15 mg ir morphine. Is it true that it is not FDA approved?