Thread: Percocet or Percodan?

Percocet or Percodan?

Which pain medication is stronger, Percocet or Percodan?

They're equivalent - each contains the same amount of opiate. The difference between them is that Percocet also contains Tylenol (acetaminophen), whereas Percodan contains aspirin. Both contain 5 mg of Oxycodone (the same opiate that's in Oxycontin.) If possible, ask your doctor if he can just prescribe you plain 5 mg Oxycodone, without the aspirin or acetaminophen, unless he sees an advantage to taking the combination.

An excellent resource for checking on meds is www.rxlist.com. All the info one could want.

[This message was edited by alan on 07-29-03 at 01:34 PM.]

I'm already taking oxycontin, was wondering which pill would be better to take for breakthrough pain?
    Originally posted by alan:

They're equivalent - each contains the same amount of opiate. The difference between them is that Percocet also contains Tylenol (acetaminophen), whereas Percodan contains aspirin. Both contain 5 mg of Oxycodone (the same opiate that's in Oxycontin.) If possible, ask your doctor if he can just prescribe you plain 5 mg Oxycodone, without the aspirin or acetaminophen, unless he sees an advantage to taking the combination.

An excellent resource for checking on meds is http://www.rxlist.com. All the info one could want.

[This message was edited by alan on 07-29-03 at 01:34 PM.]

I think it depends on what you and your doctor have discussed as more appropriate. Some people have a need to avoid aspirin, some a need to avoid tylenol. You need to check with your doctor to see what is the right choice for your pain management plan.

Mary

Oxycontin is very adictive drug.
    The withdraws from oxycontin are bad.
    My Doctor told me if tylenol was to be released today the FDA would ban it due to the damage it does to your liver.
    After my accident a lady walked up to me and out of the clear blue and said to be careful
    not to get suck into the pain pill game.
    No matter if we as SCI take pain pills or not there is a better and much more rewarding life without the pills.
    Its only my opinion but long term use of opiates are bad news.
    God Speed Duke

If opiates help a person, there's nothing wrong with taking them under medical supervision. It's not that different than a diabetic taking insulin.

It's not that different than a diabetic taking insulin
    There is a big Differance..