Thread: ? re: Duragesic patches

? re: Duragesic patches

I am 30yr para from shotgun blast to spine and had drez surgery for burning pains and that was 100% relief, Gave me my life back. First of all I would suggest that for anybody who feels they are at the end of their rope.

Now: I went to the pain clinic yesterday because I am being treated for chronic back pain, due to the injury and osteo.etc. I ask to get an increase in meds, because I have been on the same dose methadone 10mg 2x a day for about 18 months now. I was on oxycontin before that and changed to methadone because of the cost. And now because I qualify for insurance that would cover the cost, I considered going back on the oxy. The doctor said because of the stigma with oxy that he would like to put me on duragesic patches, which is new to me. So The dosage is 25mcg/hr every 72hrs. I have a somewhat high tolerance to the pain meds. Im a little concerned because of the dosages I see other members taking that this dosage is not going to be that effective. Again I was trying to increase my meds because the methadone I was taking before was not doing the trick anymore. Would maybe the nurse or doctor or someone with experience in meds tell me is this med switch appropriate for my needs. First of all I cant see how that patch would do me any good because I have always taken pills. lol. The Doctor never told me the dose he was putting me on, he usually walks out of the room and has the nurse to write the perscription and then he signs and nurse brings it back to me. I just dont know if I should question the dosage at this time. I got 5 free patches and a script, but I dont want to fill the script if I may have to change because medicaid only pays for 6 perscript.per month unless they make an exception. Any info on this would be very much appreciated. Hey members I understand how much some of you guys are taking and glad it does well for you. I really dont need that info though. Thanks and good day.

The Duragesic patch is very effective for some people. It made me sick as a dog, so I couldn't use it.

If methadone works for you at that low dose, why won't the doctor increase it if you need more?

Alan, because methadone makes some sleepy and more constipated than some other meds. Oxy actually gives you a little energy and maybe duragesic does too. I dont know that yet. But to increase the methadone just would have made me sleepier.

If OxyContin helps, the doc ought to give you the dose you need, and the hell with the stigma. Like every other med, Oxy is a blessing when used properly, and a curse when misused. Just because the media is full of hysterical morons is no reason to screw patients out of a med that helps them.

Drop by MGH's forums at www.braintalk.org, and check out the Chronic Pain 2 and Spinal Disorders 3 forums. Several folks there using Duragesic, as well as OxyC, MSContin, and other opiates, as well as other meds. Braintalk is always the second place I go after CareCure (I'm alanh77 there.)

SirD,
    I've been on the duragesic patches for a couple years. I've never had oxyc. so don't know how it compares although I've asked for it. I'm c-7, had osteo in my leg and lost 6" of femur and also have bad scoliosis and pinched nerves. I started with 50mcgs of Fentanyl and I'm up to 200 now ea. 72 hrs.They start to wear off after 48 and if you go 72 you have to wait at least 12 more to get any effect from the new ones. . 25mcgs wouldn't even be noticeable in me.If you've been on oxyc. I'll hazard a guess that 25 of the duragesic won't be enough but that's coming from me not a doctor. Good luck with the pain. We know how you feel.WR

Sir, I just wrote a literature review of Duragesic patches, prompted by your question. I will post this on the main site but thought that you might want a preview. Wise.

Originally posted by Sir Dzoker:

I am 30yr para from shotgun blast to spine and had drez surgery for burning pains and that was 100% relief, Gave me my life back. First of all I would suggest that for anybody who feels they are at the end of their rope.

Now: I went to the pain clinic yesterday because I am being treated for chronic back pain, due to the injury and osteo.etc. I ask to get an increase in meds, because I have been on the same dose methadone 10mg 2x a day for about 18 months now. I was on oxycontin before that and changed to methadone because of the cost. And now because I qualify for insurance that would cover the cost, I considered going back on the oxy. The doctor said because of the stigma with oxy that he would like to put me on duragesic patches, which is new to me. So The dosage is 25mcg/hr every 72hrs. I have a somewhat high tolerance to the pain meds. Im a little concerned because of the dosages I see other members taking that this dosage is not going to be that effective. Again I was trying to increase my meds because the methadone I was taking before was not doing the trick anymore. Would maybe the nurse or doctor or someone with experience in meds tell me is this med switch appropriate for my needs. First of all I cant see how that patch would do me any good because I have always taken pills. lol. The Doctor never told me the dose he was putting me on, he usually walks out of the room and has the nurse to write the perscription and then he signs and nurse brings it back to me. I just dont know if I should question the dosage at this time. I got 5 free patches and a script, but I dont want to fill the script if I may have to change because medicaid only pays for 6 perscript.per month unless they make an exception. Any info on this would be very much appreciated. Hey members I understand how much some of you guys are taking and glad it does well for you. I really dont need that info though. Thanks and good day.
    Sir Dzoker:
    I have buring pain.Iread your post and learn that you had a surgery of drez. After surgery you got your life back, could you please tell me about surgery. How long surgery last.It is dangerous? What part of surgery they do? Please tell me everything in detail.Thank you.

raam

raam

I know its been ashile since your last posting but by now you are probalby not on duragesic 25mcg. I f the doctor was vigilant he would have been titrating your dose up-ward. It is not uncommon to see much higher doses. what ever it takes to end the and livewith the pain.
    Oh you can ask the nurse . Thay should have the answer for you.