Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: describe your painful sensations

describe your painful sensations

if you can. What you feel, where you feel it, how you rate any pained area on a scale of 1-10.

I'll soon post mine, as best I can.

I'll have to think about it. Language is Ill-equipped to do justice. When the audience is limited to the 4 walls I resort to profanity, moans, tears, prayers. I feel bad for you cuz At least I have days that range in 5, 6 7 area, even 4 now and then. I save #10 for the AD pounding headaches which are thankfully rare especially post bac-pump.I pray for low # court days. WR

I have been asked the same question every week by different members of the medical profession while taking part in a neuropathic pain trial for 'Pregabalin' for about 3 months. I have not taken it for one week so I know it works. I had forgotten how bad things become.

How do you answer out of 10? One guy they asked said 30 out of 10. I thought great answer.

For me. If one part of your body has your complete attention, and you are unable to think or concentrate on anything else. You can feel a knot in your belly and you want to puke. I close my eyes and drift off to sleep or is the pain so bad I pass out. As I answer your question my right foot is on fire and feels numb. Now it is throbbing. If I did not know any better I would say it is twice as big as the other. Out of 10 lets say 7+ I want to be a bit macho.

A young man in Australia cut his own arm off using a pocket knife last week. He was trapped by a coal machine he was operating. How would he rate his pain. Another in the USA or Canda performed the same procedure after a logging accident. How tough are they.

My left foot and leg are now starting to go out in sympathy, time to sleep.

Pops

I like that 30 answer.

Here's my description (as best I can.)

Pains (it is difficult to describe all these sensations, as just about every adjective that describes pain applies to some part of my
    body, so this is basically a summary of the most intense feelings):

Upper & mid back: Shoulder blades and vertebrae between scapulae feel like they're protruding through my skin (left shoulder blade moreso than
    right.) Feels like compound fractures of scapulae. Feeling of tightness, stiffness, burning, pulling, aching, and wetness across
    entire area, especially left side. Feels like the whole area is badly swollen. Feels like all the bones are sticking through my skin. Also feels like vertebrae are compressed. Pressure increases intensity. I avoid shirts whenever possible. Any movement of either arm increases the pain and pulling sensation over the shoulder blades. My arms stick when I move them. Left shoulder blade "pops" constantly, right one less often. Exercise is now impossible due to pain, pulling, and pops (I tried for years - pain just got worse.) Pain level 10+.

Abdomen: I feel full all the time - no appetite at all. I have to force myself to eat, so I eat very little most of the time, and don't enjoy it. I don't get hungry (sometimes my blood sugar drops, so I know I have to eat something due to feeling weak, but no sensation of hunger. I'm not diabetic.) Entire abdomen burns, tingles, pulls,
    and feels tightly cramped and skinned. Stretching doesn't help. A few small areas of the abdomen are more intensely pained than the rest of the
    area. Breathing is painful, as is any movement, as it stretches the pained areas. Talking is also painful, for the same reason. Both abdomen and upper back feel like skin has been scraped off and alcohol poured on, or like gasoline is burning on my skin, and something very heavy is sitting on the area. Feels like a gaping hole in my gut, like a surgical incision which was never closed. Abdominal spasms make matters worse. I often feel sick to my stomach. Pain level 10+.

There is a feeling of a band across my chest where the normal sensation ends. Some areas more intense than the rest of the band. Pain level 3-4, but sometimes higher and throbbing.

Lower back (mainly right side): Tight, sore. Spine sticking out through skin sensation. Also a feeling of internal pain in right quadrant. In early years post-injury, had no pain in this area (or right shoulder blade.) Pain level 6.

Arms: Backs of arms feel numb. Hands and fingers feel heavy and tingle. Tingling increases when arm is moved. Fingers burn. Fingers feel stuck together. Pain level 8 in hands and fingers.

Butt: Tingles. Occasionally, I feel like I need to make a bowel movement, but there's actually nothing there. Pain level 2.

Legs: Heavy, tingling. Legs feel stuck together, as do toes. Ankles, feet, and knees burn, throb, and tingle. Thighs less intense. Pain level 8 in ankles and feet, 7 in knees. Right side
    more intense than left (true for entire right side, save for shoulder blade.)

Sometimes, I get numbness/weak feeling in my arms, more often in right arm. Sometimes, my forearms burn.

The sensations continually intensify, and spread. Repeated MRIs over the years show no change in the damaged area of the cord. No explanation for increases.

There's also the scoliosis, and the resultant constant feeling of being off balance, so I'm always pushing myself over to try and feel straight.

Ah, the thrill of central pain and SCI. Why would anyone want to be cured of this joy?

[This message was edited by alan on 07-17-03 at 12:47 PM.]

I agree with WR-language is hard to do justice to this torture. I'm getting worse and am basically bedridden now. I can't sit up very long and I don't have the bucks or knowledge (to use) a laptop. My son built up my current PC. These are, however, not insurmountable obstacles to keep connected with the Internet.

Thoracic spine, where the T8-10 tumor was resected in '97, feels as if knives are stabbing me. Pain level 4-8, depending on whether I'm sitting up or trying to use my arms-these activities worsen the pain. The paraspinal muscles are denervated (interrupted nerve connections) from surgery. I also have pain radiating around my left ribcage to just under breast-until I take 25mg amitriptyline and 1mg clonazepam at night, I'm unable to lie on my left side. Pain level 2-9.

From lower back to toes, I'm numb and I have central pain. I have the cutting and burning, which varies 5-10. The crushing pressure and twisting are the worst components, aggravated by sitting, but never lower than 6 on the pain scale and off the charts at its worst. Talking on the phone or just singing to myself increases the pressure. I can feel the vibrations of my voice clear down to my toes. Wierd. But I keep singing anyway-it's part of my being.

I'm being very brief because of the sitting issue. I changed my mind about the pressure and twisting being the worst components-lack of human empathy (outside the Internet) is the most painful of all. I was involved with a local chronic pain group until earlier this yr, when I simply couldn't sit at support group meetings anymore or attend our 1st conference in March here in Houston. I don't hear from anyone anymore and it isn't for lack of my trying to explain what my pain feels like-I wrote about it in one of our newsletters. I have always been candid and easy to get along with. I suspect I'm being snubbed because of lack of activity in the group. I used to proofread the newsletters, but I no longer do that. I'm doing good to try and read a newspaper-the pain is so severe, I can hardly think! I'm somewhat resigned to my isolation and feel more in touch with nature now than people with their agendas. I know I sound jaded, but it's my truth. Writing is cathartic and I often jot down ideas for essays when I'm observing plights of nature outside my windows.

When I'm able to, I'll come back and reply to a few more posts. I hope others will describe their pain-this is a good subject Alan started. I'm paying dearly typing all this, but it's worth it

"I'm paying dearly typing all this, but it's worth it"
    Thanks, Skye.

Alan: "No explanation for increases.
    Do your systems "answer" anything, for central source indication?

Originally posted by Acid:

Alan: "No explanation for increases.
    Do your systems "answer" anything, for central source indication?
    I'm confused by your question. Could you please clarify?

I was going to try and describe mine until I read Alan', Skye's and Pops's posts and thought about Mary's and KLD's responses to rating the pain scale thread. All I can say about mine is that a healthy person who woke up feeling like me (Disregard the SCI, just pain wise) would call an ambulance so I know we develop coping or tolerance. I also know that I'd never get to work if mine was as bad as you 3 guys.With respect to the scale I have to agree with Mary and KLD on the other thread. It's individual, generally variable and often situational. I'll make sure I stay on the high side in the hospital till I'm normal so they don't think wimpy drugs will work and as I said I usually save 10 and super10 for the pounding AD headaches. Then every once in awhile I wonder what the enemy soldiers in Nam would rate the napalm as they ran screaming out of the trees. WR

I often consider calling an ambulance and going to the ER, in the hope they'll give me a shot of dilaudid or something that might give me a few hours break.

Alan