Thread: Pain and weather

Pain and weather

I've heard plenty from people about their pain changing in cool weather vs warm. I'm curious whether anyone has noticed a difference when the barometric pressure goes up or down, or when it rains. I recently heard from one person who says their neuropathic pain decreases dramatically during torrential downpours. Their impression was that perhaps negative ions from the storm played a role.

David

I notice a significant difference in the CP level when there is a front moving in. It sometimes drives me to cover up in bed. I often tell my wife that a front is coming and when we turn on the weather channel it always confirms it.

I do not agree with some arguments that the change in barometric pressure is the cause. The pressure changes when I go in an airplane or travel in the mountains and there is no corresponding change in pain levels.

I believe that there is a change in the charge that pervades the atmosphere when a front moves in. I have heard that some people notice an effect when they are near to large waterfalls or caves where the atmosphere is constantly damped.

I have kidded my wife about buying a large Van DeGraaf generator to create a constant charge in our house so the fronts wont affect me.

I have not seen any research on this type of CP reaction but there is documentation for people with arthritis and old wounds who also sense the change in weather.

Joe B
    C6-7

I've never noticed a change in my pains that corresponds to weather changes.

You know I am not sci but my arthritis is worse for the weather. I need a normal summertime. Owwwwww....If I drug up enough for painless, I cannot work...I just nod off!!!

Patients hate it when you fall asleep in their rooms......

sigh...

• Wilder FV, Hall BJ and Barrett JP (2003). Osteoarthritis pain and weather. Rheumatology (Oxford) Summary: OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the association between weather (barometric pressure, precipitation and temperature) and pain among individuals with osteoarthritis (OA) (n=154) at the following sites: neck, hand, shoulder, knee and foot. METHODS: This prospective study evaluated men and women, aged 49-90 yr, participating in a community-based, osteoarthritis exercise study (June 1998-January 2002). Weekly self-reported pain scores were collected using a visual analogue scale. Statistical tests, including regression and correlation analyses, were conducted. P values < 0.001 were considered significant. RESULTS: The total number of pain recordings varied by site, ranging from 2269 [feet) to 6061 [hands). The mean temperature was 23 degrees C with a low of 0 degrees C and a high of 36 degrees C. Precipitation levels ranged from 0.00-21.08 cm, with a mean of 0.36 cm. Most associations explored produced non-significant findings. However, among women with hand OA, higher pain was significantly associated with days of rising barometric pressure [P < 0.001). CONCLUSION: Among a population of exercisers aged 49 yr and older, overall these findings did not support the hypothesis that weather is associated with pain. While some associations were suggestive of a relationship, largely these findings indicate that weather is quite modestly, if at all, associated with pain from OA. The Arthritis Research Institute of America, Inc., Clearwater, Florida, USA.

The weather has no effect on my pain although extreme cold and heat both increase discomfort and stress which in turn makes the pain worse.WR

min gets much worse when its cold around me

c5 complete, 7-9-2000www.Leedensport.com

My anecdotal (sample of one) response is that my symptoms are worse when the weather improves. There is something twisted about feeling worse when the sun reappears. I have never logged the symptoms vs. barometric pressure, but I suspect that the pressure increase plays a role with my increased symptoms.