Thread: pressure sores, what do I watch for?

pressure sores, what do I watch for?

I need to know how to recognise the start of a pressure sore. My feet have red blotchy type spots on them, they have been there for a long time. Do not get any worse. Inside above ankles. My doctor says, keep an I on them. I do not think they are anything to worry about. I honestly do not want to run to the doctor every time I get a new heat rash or red spot. Are there any pictures available, or desciptions? thank you . Galen

sores

We were told that if you push on your red spots and they turn white, they are OK. If they don't - you have a pressure sore. I saw some picutres someplace, they basicly looked somewhat like a bruise, but were open wounds. Pretty nasty...

Every time hubby gets red spot someplace we just keep an eye on it that it turnes white when pressure applied to it... Mostly it's gone in couple of days.

sores

what is touching you in that spot that could be causing a pressure point? if it is something you can change you should or at least try to pad it and see what happens

Pressure ulcer

If the area is not faded after 20-30 minutes, it is a stage I pressure ulcer even if it does blanche. You need to determine what is causing pressure and remove this entirely from the area 24/7.

Here is a good place to get started learning more about prevention and management of pressure ulcers.

Clinical Practice Guidelines on Pressure Ulcers for Health Care Professionals

Pressure Ulcers: What you should know

I have not been able to find a good site on the internet with accurate photos of the different stages of pressure ulcer development that I think are any good.

(KLD)

thank you

I tried pushing on all of them, the two spots above my ankles do not turn white to the touch. I wear AFO's on lower legs with hiking boots. I have had to go to up a size and one half to be able to get my boots on. I am an L1, I can walk with a walker short distances. Looking at my boots I can not tell what is rubbing. The bottom of my feet look fine. Would you suggest I go to a low top tennis shoe? I like the boots because I feel like they support my ankles more. The bad part is with no feeling I do not know if my shoes are comfortable or not. Thank you, Galen

Galen

i would go to a low top shoe and i would take a close look at the AFO seeif i may be the cause , if it is i am sure that who ever made it can adjust it for you. my huby had a time with his AFO, but we got it worked out. good luck

Leg braces

Ill-fitting leg braces such as AFOs are notorious for causing pressure areas or ulcers. I would also recommend that you see your orthotist to have your braces re-adjusted. It is not uncommon to need to have this done periodically, with weight gain/loss, or because you are wearing different footwear.

(KLD)