Thread: UTI or Nerve

UTI or Nerve

Hi, I posted several questions about my UTI's. I went to see a new Urologist and he did a CT scan with/without dye and told me he thought it was a nerve causing my pain instead of UTI's, as my kidneys were from the CT scans. He also said that all people with SCI, will show UTI's in thire urine, is that true?? If it is then my primary care docs plan of testing my urine every week is shot (the new doc tested my urine and it was positive but he dismissed it. The new doc admitted me to "another" hospital and they ct scanned me, mri me and found zilch except that my spinal cord is severed at T11/12. The found nothing wrong above that T11/12. The pain is in my flanks left & right. So now what, do I have a UTI problem or nerve problem? I'm confused and still hurting....

Flank pain

It is important to rule out any pathology as the cause of your pain before calling it neuropathic pain. Is this urologist an expert in SCI urology? Not all are. Do you have a good SCI physician that you can talk to about other possible causes? CT is a pretty good way to rule out other problems such as gall bladder problems or intestinal problems, but would not necessarily rule out an orthopedic or neurosurgical problem that might be correctable.

It is true that most people with SCI have bacteria in their urine most of the time, and that it is advisable not to treat this unless the person has symptoms (chills, fever, malaise, AD, elevated blood white cell count, etc.) of a true infection, not just colonization.

You may want to print this out and share it with your primary care physician. Cultures weekly are pretty much a waste of money and time:

http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/utisumm.htm

(KLD)

Thoracic nerve

I may receive a Thoracic Nerve Root Block at T11-12 if the temporary injection relieves my flank pain. Thoughts?

It sounds to me like your suffering from the same thing i had. My doctor suggested it was a phantom nerve pain. He put me on the drug Nortriptyline. The pain went away and i've been on it ever since. See what your Doc says and good luck.

Nerve or UTI

Ok, I forgot to mention that they shot the nerve they think might be causing the pain with Cortozone, supposedly if that releives the pain in my flank they plany to go back and burn or cut the nerve....thoughts on that?

uti's

About UTI's, my ex-local dr. blamed everything I had on UTI's and fed me full of cipro until I went to rhe V.A. in Milwaukee for a checkup.They said I had a nice happy colony of bacteria swimming around harmlessly in my bladder so SCI -nurse is right as usual, don't let him give you AB's for it unless you have the other symptoms wr

Ablative surgery

I am not a big fan of what physicians call "ablation" or "ablative surgery". This is surgery that treats a problem by cutting or killing nerves or nerve tissue. While it is appropriate as a last resort for some people, I would not consider it a first choice.

If your pain is actually from the spinal cord, then cutting or destroying the peripheral nerve will not help the pain. While it is possible that when the cure for SCI comes we will also know how to regrow ablated peripheral nerves, there is certainly no guarantee with this.

Ablation of nerves will also eliminate reflex activity. There are advantages of reflex activity. Spasticity helps to maintain muscle bulk (for one), so an ablative procedure usually results in muscle atrophy. While this is probably not as crucial in the mid-thoracic level, as you get lower in the cord you start to interfer with reflexes necessary for bowel, bladder and sexual functioning. For example, T10-12 is an important area for psychogenic erections, so if the man is incomplete, destruction of the motor component of the nerves here can result in the loss of this type of erection.

I would definately not have this done without evaluation by a SCI physican at a major SCI center, and a good trial on a variety of medications that are appropriate for neuropathic pain management.

(KLD)

Nerve or UTI

Well, now I'm stumped. I've been to every major hospital in TN. All have different opinons. The last one said after the CT's & MRI's that theres nothing left but to cut the nerve. Of course the others said it was UTI's. I've been taking Neurontin, although not regulary...

Suggestion

I would suggest that you try the Neurontin on a regular basis, with doses up to 3600 mg. daily if you don't have bad side effects (ramp up slowly). You must maintain a blood level of Neurontin, taking it on a regular schedule, for it to be effective. Other meds that may be used for neuropathic pain include the tricyclic antidepressants (Elavil, Tofranil, etc.), Clonidine, and Tegretol. A combination may be needed.

You should be seen at a university based pain clinic at least, and I would strongly recommend having a second opinion at a Model System SCI center. You can get a list from the Links forum here:

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10227

You can also post on the Pain forum here for some advise from others who deal with this issue on an ongoing basis.

(KLD)