Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: I Had The Drez / It Works

  1. #31
    Walking Again,

    yes I can see that you are looking at cure. I think that most of us looked at the possibility when we were new SCI's.

    It's not that I think that it won't happen, because if research continues and the world is still in working order over the next ten years or so, it could happen.

    For me though the main issue that I face daily is pain. I have gotten used to wheeling and I can honestly say that living in a chair is a challenge, but with perseverance one can have a full life as an SCI.

    It is the pain that disables me.

    Do you visualize your self walking? Try it. This visualizing thing is a powerful tool.
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  2. #32

    the body works hard to do what it's subsystems think are right

    Accordingly, i believe that at least in a relevant number of instances one's neural circuits will find a way to overcome the damage done by DREZ and eventually , if not sooner, you are back in some sort of pain mode as the nervous system attempts to cope with the result of the DREZ, possibly putting one in a worse place of pain!

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingagain View Post
    Thank you Gary, I have to wonder if Neuro pain determines the amount of the spinal cord that in intact. Dr. Young has mentioned you only need 10% of the spinal cord to function as if nothing had ever happened. The logic would seem that the less neuro pain and spaciticty one has (based on the DREZ therapy) the less entact the spinal cord is. I believe in a cure...I'm not setting around waiting on it, but I know its coming!
    Walkingagain, based on my experience this isn't true. I'm a T12 complete with pretty much a severed spinal cord (T11 vertebrae was sitting beside my T12 vertebrae after a sleepwalking fall) and have had no return of sensation or motor function below my injury level, and yet I have servere neuropathic pain. One line of thought is that neuropathic (central) pain is due to sprouting of new nerve fibres (into glial scar material) at the injury site. I agree with you, the cure is on it's way...but the big question is will it be able to rid us of this damn pain so that we can get on with our lives!!

    Geoman
    "Wheelie Wanna Walk!"

  4. #34
    Gary, I wouldn't concider myself a new injury. I injuried in 2005 in a streetluge accident. Over the past two and one half years I have had two babies. (I kept the blood cord blood just in case). I live a really full life. However I'm with you the pain is sometimes too much to handle, but I just keep reading Stem Cell articles and gaining more hope I will be able to chase my baby girls someday.

    Geoman, no disrepect, but what did you sleepwalk off of...a plane or a building? Breaking your back from sleepwalking is not one I have heard of before. I'm sorry to hear that you were injured doing something that is supposed to be relaxing. Hopefully the cells rid the pain!

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingagain View Post
    Gary, I wouldn't concider myself a new injury. I injuried in 2005 in a streetluge accident. Over the past two and one half years I have had two babies. (I kept the blood cord blood just in case). I live a really full life. However I'm with you the pain is sometimes too much to handle, but I just keep reading Stem Cell articles and gaining more hope I will be able to chase my baby girls someday.
    Why did I assume you were a new injury? (I ask myself not you)

    My apologies for assumptions.

    Great on the babies though!!!!!!

    I have two kids myself and love um lots!

    Gary
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoman View Post
    the cure is on it's way...but the big question is will it be able to rid us of this damn pain so that we can get on with our lives!!

    Geoman
    Yeah.......... Would it?
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingagain View Post
    Geoman, no disrepect, but what did you sleepwalk off of...a plane or a building? Breaking your back from sleepwalking is not one I have heard of before. I'm sorry to hear that you were injured doing something that is supposed to be relaxing. Hopefully the cells rid the pain!
    walkingagain, streetluge!? please tell more. Is that anything like skitching?

    My accidient wasn't so much a fall, but a dive...out of a loft bedroom at our holiday cabin in 2007. After swimming in the dam with one of my boys the day before I must've been dreaming that I was a champion diver...It is a bit unusual, but I have since heard of a few other sleepwalking horror stories.
    "Wheelie Wanna Walk!"

  8. #38
    Gary, No problem I can see why you would ask! I hope the cure will help pain!

    Geoman, wow that has to be the most unique SCI story I've heard, sorry about that! Skitching...well not exactly. Its actually alot like Ice Luge, but with wheels. Here is a link

    http://www.youtube.com/user/walkinga.../1/ABGUaVWrVvY

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingagain View Post
    Gary, No problem I can see why you would ask! I hope the cure will help pain!

    Geoman, wow that has to be the most unique SCI story I've heard, sorry about that! Skitching...well not exactly. Its actually alot like Ice Luge, but with wheels. Here is a link

    http://www.youtube.com/user/walkinga.../1/ABGUaVWrVvY
    Hi, are you Stacy? Man O man I watched the video! This is a wild sport and it looks like fun!!!

    So sorry for what happened, but you do have a great attitude. You will progress for certain, you are one tough woman. Thanks for the example.

    Gary
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingagain View Post
    Geoman, wow that has to be the most unique SCI story I've heard, sorry about that! Skitching...well not exactly. Its actually alot like Ice Luge, but with wheels. Here is a link
    Thanks for the link, I have seen this before but didn't know what it was called. Looks like heaps of fun, are you still involved in that scene? I used to compete in the downhill event (skiing) in what seems like a different life now, which would have been a similar buzz to the street-luge. I gave sit-skiing a go a couple of years ago, but the pain just got in the way too much...Skitching was heaps of fun when I was a kid too!

    Geoman
    "Wheelie Wanna Walk!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •