Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Had The Drez / It Works

When did you have the DREZ

Quote Originally Posted by georgeh View Post
    I had the DREZ. Twice. 4/2003 and 8/2003. Dr. Scott Falci. Craig Hospital in Englewood, CO. Neither one did anything to reduce my pain. I am a complete T10 paraplegic. My pain is all below level and can best be described as a severe burn in my buttocks and down the back of my thighs. In addition to the burn, I also feel a strong gripping and pulling sensation in my genital and rectal area. It is a continuous, diffused pain. The only time I'm pain free is when I'm asleep. The 2 DREZ surgeries did accomplish one good thing, however. They completely eliminated all spasticity. Everything below T10 is now dead, dead, dead. No movement at all. I did lose about 2 dermatones of sensation as a result of the surgeries, so I guess I'm now a T8.

I would advise anyone considering DREZ surgery for pain to think long and hard about it before going down that road. The operation takes 10-12 hours and it requires about a 14 day post surgical hospital stay. It then takes a few months at home to fully recover from it. It's major surgery with a capital "M".

George Hunt
    Hi george, sorry for the unsuccessful attempt. Here I am considering doing it. I may be a dreamer but... You did go through it twice so you must have been, and apparently still are, desperate. Shit! What a f__k_d up deal!

You had the DREZ in 2003 - 6 years ago - Iʻm counting on major medical and technological advances during the past 6 years specifically in the in the neurological field.

Gary
    Last edited by Garyis; 10-12-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Change of dates
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't lose any function as a result of the surgeries. I lost all spasticity and a couple inches of sensation and that's it. As far as I know, no surgeon will do it for a cervical injury. Sometimes I think the only workable trade for the pain is death. Believe me, I think about it every day.
    Hey George, I have been to Craig for the evaluation, was deemed a good candidate for the DREZ.

But, I am doing what you advised to do: "I would advise anyone considering DREZ surgery for pain to think long and hard about it before going down that road."

I have been putting it off for months. But I am wondering about when you had it done in 2003, that was 8 year ago. Maybe there have been upgrades in the procedure?

I am with you on this: "Sometimes I think the only workable trade for the pain is death."
    Gary
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Garyis View Post
    Hey George, I have been to Craig for the evaluation, was deemed a good candidate for the DREZ.

But, I am doing what you advised to do: "I would advise anyone considering DREZ surgery for pain to think long and hard about it before going down that road."

I have been putting it off for months. But I am wondering about when you had it done in 2003, that was 8 year ago. Maybe there have been upgrades in the procedure?

I am with you on this: "Sometimes I think the only workable trade for the pain is death."
    Gary
    Hi Gary. I've been following your posts on whether to DREZ or not and was wondering if you have any news worth updating us with.

Thanks,
    Geoman
    "Wheelie Wanna Walk!"

I had the DREZ proceedure done at Craig in 1989. It was not successful. The surgeons went back in a week later and did a nick on T12. The pain was resolved. Today after being basically pain free since '89, the sparks and shocks have returned in the same area. I have been treated the last 6 months for Parkinson's like symptoms with meds. The pain returned about a month after I started the meds for the Parkinson's. I think the treatment has stirred up the nerve root pain.

Hi Gary,
    Sorry for the late reply. I've been away from the computer for a couple weeks. I haven't followed the DREZ procedure and I don't know if there have been any real advancements in the last 8 years. I hope for your sake that there have been many.

Honestly, if I were you and I was deemed a successful candidate for it at Craig, I would go for it in a New York minute. Unlike the drugs that really don't do much, the DREZ will give you a real chance for pain elimination. There's nothing else out there right now that can give you that. If it works, your quality of life will be immeasurably better. If it doesn't work, you will have to go through a long surgical recovery for nothing. The chances of major problems are pretty slim. Best of luck for whichever route you choose.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Geoman View Post
    Hi Gary. I've been following your posts on whether to DREZ or not and was wondering if you have any news worth updating us with.

Thanks,
    Geoman
    Geoman, It can't happen!

Last friday, after about a dozen phone talks over a 4 month time span with folks from my insurance and from Craig, all of which got me no where. Nobody knew why I have not received any word on the approval, the CFO from Craig called me and she spoke with me for half an hour and she is a incredulous as I am.

The deal is, and I'll keep it short; Even tho Craig works with insurance companies from over 20 states, all on a case by case basis, Washington State will not do so. They want Craig to sign on as a provider. Craig does not do this, never has. Even the Colorado Workmans Comp is not a provider, but works with Craig on a case by case basis and no SCI has ever been denied access to craig.

That said, Washington State will only pay half of what the costs are. BUT.

Washington State does not accept DREZ to be a medical necessity! Soeven if Craig was a provider they would not approve the surgery. The first 3 months was W.S. trying to get Craig to sign, even knowing that they would not approve the surgery!

I asked why they paid for me to get the evaluation and was told that they never did pay the bill even tho they authorized it. They did not bill me because they saw that it was not my fault and Craig wrote it off. Doctor Falci was paid on a ONE TIM ONLY rule. As was Craig was back in 1992, they paid for the rehab for an SCI, and that was Craig's ONE TIME ONLY!

If you live in Washington and have WC or Qualis for insurance forget the DREZ, they won't pay.

This after waiting for over six months.

Now, it is living my life out with fukin pain, excuse me my no-life.
    Last edited by Garyis; 07-17-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Gary,
    Sorry for the late reply. I've been away from the computer for a couple weeks. I haven't followed the DREZ procedure and I don't know if there have been any real advancements in the last 8 years. I hope for your sake that there have been many.

Honestly, if I were you and I was deemed a successful candidate for it at Craig, I would go for it in a New York minute. Unlike the drugs that really don't do much, the DREZ will give you a real chance for pain elimination. There's nothing else out there right now that can give you that. If it works, your quality of life will be immeasurably better. If it doesn't work, you will have to go through a long surgical recovery for nothing. The chances of major problems are pretty slim. Best of luck for whichever route you choose.

George
    Hey George, see my above post. The cost is over 100K. That leaves me out. So, here we sit, in pain, a poor quality of life. I try to overcome but it is hard to say the least. The only Med that makes any difference is the Fentynal Patch but even these do not relieve me enough to enjoy life.

Gary
    ~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post...sorry if I goof! What I'm reading is the DREZ will severe your spinal cord to reduce pain...does this mean if you have neuro pain there is a good chance you have some connection in the spinal cord?

Quote Originally Posted by walkingagain View Post
    This is my first post...sorry if I goof! What I'm reading is the DREZ will severe your spinal cord to reduce pain...does this mean if you have neuro pain there is a good chance you have some connection in the spinal cord?
    DREZ does not severe a spinal cord. They snip/cauterize select nerve endings at the cord, ones that are found to be sending pain signals to the brain. This is putting it in simple terms.

I'd say yes. we do have connections to the spinal cord, at least down to the point of injury and then it would depend on how the cord was damaged.

You should do research into the DREZ and into the way a spinal cord injury damages the cord. Mine, for example was smashed into an iron railing, breaking apart the L-1 vertebrae and damaging the T-12 when I fell 40 feet, my back hitting the railing. Someone who was shot for example, would have a different kind of damage to the cord.

Sounds like you are trying to see a link to having some connection from the cord to the brain as the possibility of walking again?

Thinking back, I recall having the same thoughts. It does make some sense, but, so far no cure has come of it.

It is said that anything is possible if you can think it. This takes some powerful concentrated thinking!
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you Gary, I have to wonder if Neuro pain determines the amount of the spinal cord that in intact. Dr. Young has mentioned you only need 10% of the spinal cord to function as if nothing had ever happened. The logic would seem that the less neuro pain and spaciticty one has (based on the DREZ therapy) the less entact the spinal cord is. I believe in a cure...I'm not setting around waiting on it, but I know its coming!