Thread: Lumbar Kyphosis --> pain?

Lumbar Kyphosis --> pain?

I did some digging on webMd.com b/c of pain I have in my lower back. Around my lumbar region, the spine does appear to bulge more than normal... not a lot, but enough to make me wonder (this is no new discovery; it's been a while).

My understanding tells me this could easily be caused by lack of muscle support, in addition to slouching, which I don't do... but as a quad it's almost inherent that sitting for full days on end can't produce anything good.

Doctors are dumb & I'm not going to try for another eval. I've seen several about my back, gotten a MRI done, and they all seem clueless to SCI & just assume that due to my injury there's nothing to do & it's normal. (tangent: It's ridiculous how much they get paid too. One visit to a clinic cost $156, most of which was covered by insurance... but still, I saw a doc for all of 10 min.)

But it hurts. Every day. I get on with life just "fine," but I'm wondering if I'm the only one or if this is (or can be) fairly common. FWIW, I'm c6/7, sensory incomplete.

thanks,
    ~ scott

Scott,

i didn't realize that you were sensory incomplete. This may be the result of a hyper sensitivity in that region caused by your incomplete staus. If the docs haven't figured out a structural causation more than likely its nerve related. similar to my hand issue. It would be interesting to see if low therapeutic FES would ease the pain. You might also give acupuncture a try.

Just thoughts.

Larry - yeah, hypersensitivity could be part of it; I have some elsewhere, especially my toes. It's a deeper pain though, and if I lie prone, one can feel a slight bulge in the spine around that region.

but yeah, Arnie's take on it was that strengthening those muscles would definitely help. It's been almost 4.5yrs since they've done a thing (I know, I know, nothing like 20)... so hopefully some of that can be worked on.

I'm still working on getting out there soon (mid-june)... I need a roommate though... if you have any connections, please let me know (figured that's ok to post pubicly; I'll drop an email your way in a bit.)

thanks for the input...
    ~ scott

I'll check into the room mate situation for you. What are you looking for? 5'5" about 110 with brown hair and blue eyes?

Scott,

I am glad we chatted last night about your pain. I hope that the interventions work and you have relief. If they work you can post it, and someday maybe I can bill out at 156 for ten minutes..then I can drive a car like Larry's!!

Fat chance my mouth will just get me in trouble and I will have to have Larry to get me out of it and give him all my money for a second car.....

Peace

Mary

Originally posted by 1FINERN:

Scott,

I am glad we chatted last night about your pain. I hope that the interventions work and you have relief. If they work you can post it, and someday maybe I can bill out at 156 for ten minutes..then I can drive a car like Larry's!!

Fat chance my mouth will just get me in trouble and I will have to have Larry to get me out of it and give him all my money for a second car.....

Peace

Mary
    I need a second car. The wifey wants a Suburban though so make sure its a good one Mary.

On second thought Larry, after the past 15 months, I think I will become silent like a river...and just melt away in the serenity of the new home I just bought for me and the children....hot tub..here I come!!!

Mary

Sorry about the suburban Larry's wife....no can do...

Just a thought, Scott, since you mentioned the pain seems deep. Have you been evaluated for sacroiliac (SI) joint inflammation? (the articulation of the sacrum and hip bone) I have central (burning/hypersensitivity) pain in my lower back, too, but my left SI joint and surrounding tissues are a distinctly different pain syndrome-it's a deeper pain. Putting pressure under my lower back helped until I got a diagnostic confirmation from an ortho doc. He gave me cortisone shots. I have a weak trunk, too and now I wear an SI belt, which is helping some. I also do some exercises, like pelvic tilt, but that makes the central pain worse. Whatever... I'm doing my best to strengthen the abs, because that will help the lower back, too.

My 2 cents worth

I am really interested in this topic. I am trying to gather information about this to find out more to helps others, as well as myself.

I guess I am considered "Asia D" in the medical world. I had a SCI 8 1/2 years ago and have about a 70-75% recovery. I still have residuals, however, if the normal eye looked at me he/she could never tell.

I, too, have lower back difficulties. I have been struggling with this for ~1 1/2yrs now, (since I regained some sensation in the trunk area). As it turns out, I have 3 bulges 2 herniations in the lumbar area.....yes, the pain is intense.

I work at Project Walk, which I am sure you have heard about, or know a great deal about....who doesn't?! I am seeing many many clients who are suffering from the same, and being in the seated position 90% of the time does not help!

Of course, I want to find out more about this lower back pain for "selfish" reasons. I would also like there to be a day, when people wake up in the hospital after finding out he/she has suffered a SCI, and the protocol is very much different from the way it is today.

No one had ever mentioned this might be a residual, and I am discovering that the doctors I have been to are "guessing" what the cause is. I am sure I know what the cause is, I just want to find out how to fix the problem and move on. I would also like to find out some preventative techniques so I can pass on the word!

-Laura

jmublueduck, I did not see this posted before, but the first thing that struck me about your question is how close your presentation is to a patient of mine who was finally diagnosed with a Charcot joint of his spine. He also had a high SCI, and the area of the Charcot joint was far below his injury level, although he is an ASIA B. He recently finally had a diagnosis and a new spinal stablization surgery in the area of he kyphosis, which has signficantly reduced his pain. Ask your physician about this, and if they don't know about Charcot spine joints in people with SCI, see a new spine physician. It is a rare condition.

(KLD)