Thread: 80% pain relief w/ IV lidocaine...

80% pain relief w/ IV lidocaine...

for 30 min. Oh my God, what a trip. The cutting knives and 24/7 acid dunk just melted away about 10 min into the infusion. Only the pressure remained and mostly from knees down. (I have central pain from waist down.) I know this was just a diagnostic test and not a treatment. Pity the stuff can't be put in a pump. I had IT bupivicaine trial last yr and no relief from that.

So now I've started mexiletine. 200mg the 1st week, then 400 the next, and 600 the third. I'm only on the 1st week and I've noticed my heart is throbbing. This is a common side effect, but I don't know if my body is going to like this drug. But I want to try. Anyone else ever tried IV lidocaine infusion and felt relief

Lucky you - it didn't work for me. Mazel tov.

There are probably other Lidocaine-type meds that can be placed in a pump other than Bupivicaine. Check into it.

Hi, Alan. I'll know by my next appt-Apr 28-whether I can tolerate 600mg mexiletine. From what I understand, the mexiletine is as close to lidocaine I can get. Come April 28, I will certainly ask about other IT anesthetics. I'm still savoring the glorious minutes on that table-due to severe allodynia, I wasn't sure I'd be able to lie on that surface for long. The 1st 15 min was saline-I started feeling a little dizzy and 20 min later, began to feel the dysesthesia and allodynia melt away. 30 min after the infusion stopped, the pain returned and was full throttle an hr later.

I'm sorry lidocaine didn't work for you. I'm 5 yrs into this thing and I know you've been at it longer. I'm pulling for you-for all of us.

I also tried Mexiletine and go zero relief from central nerve pain.

I found your comment interesting re: Lidocaine. I was involved in a drug trial which used Lidocaine as the placebo. Interestingly enough I found that the Lidocaine was far more effective then the drug they were testing. Now if they could only find a way to provide an effective way to deliver Lidocaine orally, wouldn't that be great?

mike

Lidocaine as a placebo...rrrrrright! I can only guess that they were testing the effectiveness of the new drug vs. lidocaine, a proven drug.

From what I understand, lidocaine would probably work for most anyone. The catch, and it can be a huge one, is that you have to get it to the right location (Alan, this would probably be an issue for you), and you have to get it at a high enough dose to be effective. A lidocaine trial has to be done in a medical setting with all the equipment and personnel to revive and sustain you in case you don't tolerate the high levels. It's a balancing game between stopping the pain and not killing you in the process. In the proper setting the test is plenty safe, because even if anything goes wrong, they just have to manage the situation until the drug levels go down enough. Sounds scary, but the vast majority of people go through the test just fine, and even the worst case scenarios are usually handled according to protocol and everything turns out fine.

Skye, if nothing else, this goes to show you that help is possible, even if medical science doesn't have all of the exact answer just yet. Hang in there.

Everything is an issue for me. <sigh>

I had hand tremors and nystagmus just taking 200mg Mexitil in the morning, so I've been instructed to take 200mg every other night for a week, then every night for a week, in order to get my body used to the drug.

I emailed my doctor this abstract Dr. Young had posted.
    http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23552

The abstract is based on rat model and the conditions treated are not central lesions (they're sciatic and spine nerve ligations.) It's an interesting article, nonetheless. And I'm grateful to have a doctor who works with me (I'm a very complicated case!), taking the time to listen and respond to what I might want to try. She is willing to try a single IT lidocaine injection. She has told me lidocaine isn't used intrathecally because of the perceived potential for a motor block. (I'm not paralyzed.) And that a lidocaine infusion doesn't predict IT response (different pathways are being blocked.) If I try a single IT injection, she suspects the pain pathways will just be temporarily blocked, I'd be unable to move and feel my legs, and the pure central pain would continue to be present at the same level. I kind of agree. I wonder if IT lidocaine injection in the very EARLY stages of central injury would provide more permanent relief-just wondering...

I'm not giving up. Many, many times, esp after trying something that doesn't work, I'm pretty depressed. I cried a river of tears after the IV lidocaine infusion-to feel such exquisite, but only temporary relief. What a tease! But at the same time, may yield some information. It's a sodium channel blocker, as is ziconotide (the sea snail venom that's being researched.)

I "look" at Alan, 20 yrs of torture and still going. I read the pain research articles Dr. Young posts and am heartened, tho I'm realistic that research is painstakingly slow. I keep my mind active, honing my medical terminology skills. I'm grateful for this forum. Thanks for all of you who have responded (I wondered where you were, David Berg!)

Sorry about the delayed response there Skye, it looks like you posted the original message while I was out of town for awhile. I had *very* limited 'net access for awhile. Remember when I emailed you about the red-eared sliders? I saw them on my trip.