Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Botox Being Used for the Treatment of Migraine Headaches

Botox Being Used for the Treatment of Migraine Headaches

Botox Being Used for the Treatment of Migraine Headaches
    Library: MED
    Keywords: BOTOX PAIN HEADACHE TREATMENT MIGRAINE MEDICINE INJECTION NY
    Description: Dr. Ifeoma Okoronkwo, M.D., an expert in rehabilitation medicine at NYU Medical Center is available to comment on new findings that Botox can be used to treat chronic pain such as migraine headaches.

March 11, 2003

NYU School of Medicine
    Office of Public Affairs
    Jennifer Berman
    212-404-3555

NYU School of Medicine Expert Can Comment on Wrinkle --Fighter Botox Being Used to Treat A Variety of Ailments

Dr. Ifeoma Okoronkwo, M.D., an expert in rehabilitation medicine at NYU Medical Center is available to comment on new findings that Botox can be used to treat chronic pain such as migraine headaches.

The drug is a form of botulinum toxin, made from the bacteria that cause botulism, a deadly illness that essentially paralyzes the muscles that control breathing. Now, doctors are learning that Botox can be used to treat chronic pain, although that use also isn't approved by the FDA. In studies around the world, botulinum toxin is being tested - often with encouraging results - as a treatment for migraine headaches.

Ifeoma Okoronkwo, clinical assistant professor at New York University School of Medicine has treated many patients in her practice who are candidates for the treatment which have been extremely successful.

"People come to my practice seeking this particular treatment now. I've never had anybody say, I wish I didn't do Botox." Dr. Okoronkwo says.

To schedule an interview with Dr. Okoronkwo, please call Jennifer Berman, Public Affairs, 212-404-3555.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Where are they using the botox? Any thing published for peer/public/open review?

I would look at it if it wasn't quackery.

(Peer review is an old model where Elsevier editor circulates doc they now own even though public funds were used for the research before publication for review by their nominated peers and then sells that publication after the review. Open review is where it is published for free and any one is free to review it. The Internet is an example of technology built on open review. See http://www.ietf.org/ Internet Drafts, Request For Comments, Standards, etc.)

I get 400 units of botox in my trapezius muscles every 3 months because of spasticity, pain and really bad persistent headaches. Had a headache almost everyday for 3 years till a Dr. suggested botox. Now I can go a whole week without one. Some call my headaches migraines, besides the botox, Imatrex (Sumatriptan Succinate ) is the only other thing that makes them go away, but they are caused when my left trap spazies up and pull down on my head (or something like that). ""official"" migraines are s'posed to have swollen veins in the head...I never get auras... but anyway Botox helps to relax (paralyze) muscles. It's like a dozen injections into different parts of the traps. Its the same principle to get rid of wrinkles in the face just a lot lot more botox. It used to make me sick, kinda like the flu for a few days, but a few disgusting side effects for a little relief I always say. It was really weird before the botox... I took lots of pain meds but still had horrible headaches. I would feel muscles straining all the way down to my foot (headaches always on the left side but I get botox on both sides). It aint a cureall but it helps and I can tolerate it. Been getting it for about 4 years now. Still kinda scares me though.

Some with spastic bladders get botox... or anything spastic.
    tom

Welcome to The Flat Earth Society

got botox for facial spasms and can just now after 4 months smile with both lips raised again. The spasms stopped but I felt like the joker. Illness or cure?

I have three questions to those who have had long term botox treatment.

Do you need increasing doses of the botolinum toxin they use?
    Do you get horrible withdrawal symptoms if you miss a treatment?
    Any long lasting side effects?

Xtravia - That's a tough one. All I can think of is, which one bothers you the most? Im guessing that it depends on the situation, so no easy answer :/ I'm still unclear on whether the joker type smile is an unwanted side effect or something that absolutely cannot be avoided when using botox in that area/ for your condition?
    Last edited by Bear_on_wheels; 12-29-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added note to X

Quote Originally Posted by xtravla View Post
    got botox for facial spasms and can just now after 4 months smile with both lips raised again. The spasms stopped but I felt like the joker. Illness or cure?
    Give it another month or two and tell us about your assessment. If it was successful as a long-term solution I'd be inclined to think you consider it worthwhile, but I can't judge for you.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear_on_wheels View Post
    withdrawal symptoms
    No, it's not crack. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulinum_toxin

It just blocks nerves for months. These peripheral nerves often recover unlike those in the CNS (brain and spinal cord).

Often a temporary alternative to surgery as it will undo itself.

Causes "coffin face" in actors who then have to move their eyes around more. They can't make lines appear on a dead face.

Quote Originally Posted by da lurker View Post
    official migraines
    I don't get headaches with my migraine like episodes so I think I will pass. (Note to self remember to tell neurol. so don't give up at migraine again! http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=207333)

The botox has almost completely worn off. Spasms are not as violent yet in my right face. Just an upturn usually. Worse when one gets upset. Problem is, I am usually angry, in case you could not tell. Looks like a half smile or a smirk.

For the typical uses you would not need to increase the dose.

There is no withdrawal as it is not like other ingested drugs.

However, symptoms will return if treatment is not repeated-- weather for spasms, wrinkles, etc.

Personally I feel there is no harm as a physician. As for the benefits regarding migraines-- my opinion is it would be an extremely isolated case for it to work. And I am not certain any stateside insurance companies would cover it without a great deal of paperwork and precident.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by xtravla View Post
    The botox has almost completely worn off. Spasms are not as violent yet in my right face. Just an upturn usually. Worse when one gets upset. Problem is, I am usually angry, in case you could not tell. Looks like a half smile or a smirk.
    At this point what's your judgement? Would it be worth additional treatments?