Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TRA vs. ZRA

TRA vs. ZRA

I'm getting a new chair and have it narrowed down to a TiLite, either the TRA or ZRA. Any opinions or which is best?

Im in the exact position Emi..TRA or ZRA?

~~Be yourself is all that you can be~~

Asfar as I can tell the only difference is the more minimal frame with the castors attached to the footplate area.

The ZRa is is a little bit lighter, but the main difference is the frame design. The ZRa doesn't have the lower bar, which makes it easier for getting it in and out of a car.

I just got a ZR to replace my TRa. I don't like the castor design of the TRa. They creak, rattle and come lose, and it is a pain in the butt if you don't tighten them regularly and it comes lose. The allenhead screws were becoming stripped from tightening them so much, and I even had locktite on it. The ZRa still has adjustable casters, but it looks like a better design.

The only difference between the "adjustable" ZRa and the "non-adjustable" ZR is you can change the dump on the ZRa. If you don't plan on adjusting the dump of your chair, you could go with the ZR and save a little more weight.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I have the ZRA and it is incredibly easy to get into and out of the car. In addition to that, once it's in the car, it takes up less space on the passenger seat. It also takes up far less space in a trunk and anywhere else you're going to stow it. I don't think the TRA is nearly as adjustable or as light. And, whatever it's worth, AB people are always commenting that the ZRA looks very cool.

Like said below, do you really envision yourself changing the dump of your chair all the time? If not, I would start comparing the TR and ZR then, less hardware to get loose, and cleaner design, along with a bit of weight savings. My vote: TR, because I have one (although the ZR was not available at the time, only the ZRA). With the TR you have the advantage of a boxed design, which is stronger than the L-shaped frame of the ZR (although the larger tubing diameter of the ZR may fully compensate for this). As far as which is best...it is up to your personal tastes.

See I dont drive a car, so the ease of getting it in a car isn't an issue. My insurance is pretty much insisting on an adjustable chair, although I have never adjusted my current chair (a Quickie XTR). Thanks for the advice re castors Jimmns as I currently have that issue with my XTR and it is a pain in the ass.

What are you leaning towards Shaun?

Any advice on getting the righ chair this time? I got my XTR in rehab and have hated it for the last 4 years, I want to make sure I get the right one this time.

Emi, I saw a picture of you in your XTR the other day in the CareCure pictures section and was struck by how oversized the chair was for you. It must be very difficult for you to push yourself around in. I have an XTR and while it is a bit heavier than I would choose for my next chair I haven't really had any major issues with it or the castors (froglegs on mine). However, I am much taller than you. No offence meant but it looks like whoever measured that chair for you just stuck you in a chair that they had on hand despite it being way too big for you. Why did they put on a raised foot plate rather than put you in a smaller chair, which would be lighter, more manoeuvrable, easier to get under tables etc?

Make sure that whoever measures you is going to get you a chair that fits. One of the advantages of being small is that you can get a smaller (lighter etc.) chair.

Your insurance company is just worried that they will but you a chair and if it doesn't fit you and can't be adjusted to then they wasted their money. If you want the TR or ZR tell your insurance that they are still adjustable (centre of gravity, seat back height, seat to footrest and seat back angle) just not the front and rear seat heights and caster angles. But as already asked are you ever going to change the dump in your chair? If you aren't going to change the dump you can also do without the adjustable angle casters that everyone complains keep coming loose. If your chair is made to fit you then you won't need to adjust seat height. Just get it with the dump you want in the first place. Make sure you are clear with the vendor that if the chair doesn't fit you won't pay for it and don't let them push you into getting one that doesn't fit.

Tilite chairs are custom made so they should be able to make one to fit you perfectly. Also get Spinergy wheels (arguably you need light equipment because you are small and need the least amount of weight to be able to get around).

Here are the links to the TiLite pages:

TiLite

Chair Comparison.pdf

Also make sure that if you secure your chair in a van using tiedowns that they will work with the chair you choose. The TR may have better attachment options than the ZR does.

Originally posted by Emi:

What are you leaning towards Shaun?
    I like the adjustability of the ZR.being able to adjust the dump and back angle would be nice.I went from an A4 to the Terminator Ti rigid frame and just never have been comfortable.If i could just make those little adjustments ya know?..Just so everything was perfect,something i may never find in a rigid..

~~Somewhere between happiness and sadness,i need calculate,what creates my own madness~~

Thanks Jeff...Unfortunately I'm not quite as small as I was in those photos! I never adjusted anything on the XTR so I have no idea if more or less dump or anything would be better... I wish I knew how to measure myself as I dont have any confidence in the dealers here.
    I will be driving from my power chair so the only time I'd be tieing my manual down is 9f my hubby is driving, the Q-Straints should be ok for that.
    What effect does more or less dump have?