Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Youg - oral ketamine for pain

Dr. Youg - oral ketamine for pain

Dr. Young, in one of your past posts you mentioned that oral ketamine has been tried for neuropathic pain. Do you know at what dosage? That's something I haven't tried yet.

Alan

I have seen several abstracts in Medline that indicated that ketamine seemed to help neuropathic pain. I have often wondered if the researchers would follow up and try it on human SCI. I would like to know if Dr. Young has heard anything new.

By the way, have you tried Arginine-L? It is a precursor to ketamine.(I'm told) Its available through most nutrition centers or drugstores. I felt it gave me more endurance not so much pain relief per se but better ability to deal with pain.

i get some relief through a combination of baclofen/valium/neurontin. I used to take Elavil but it eventually affected my short term memory and I had to stop. I will still take some Elavil on bad days. If nothing else it makes me sleep like a log.

Joe

Joe B
    C6-7

Are we talking Ketamine as in cat tranquilizer and children's anestesia? Isnt this stuff highly hallucinagenic in adults...as in what is known as a K-Hole? I would imagine it would kill the pain, but you wouldnt be too funtioning during its effects. Might be wrong though,

Andy

Joe, I never heard of Arginine-L, but I'll check it out.

Vicki, I have no clue. I simply read an old post of Dr. Young's. It didn't mention tranquilized cats.

At a pain clinic I was told Ketamine is injected into the spine via a pump similar to Baclofen.

Pops

The dose of oral ketamine is variable and ranges from 20-60 mg. It is a glutamate receptor blocker and some evidence suggests that this drug is more effective for neuropathic pain than for noxious pain. You will have to get prescription. Wise.

I have tried oral Ketamine for neuropathic pain. It was an extremely bad experience even though I only took half the dose recommended. Experienced paranoia and whole body was pins and needles. Just my experience though.

So ketamine comes in pill form, I gather? And that's 20-60 mg per day, or per dose?

Bump.

I currently take oral ketamine for neuropathic pain. I take 20mgs daily (5 mgs 4x daily). It seems to work well for me but I'm still waiting to hear from Dr. Young to see if it is safe to move up my dosage.