Thread: Laxatives

Laxatives

I know they are bad to use over a long period of time, so I tried to cut down ( I take 2 senna 3 nights a week) but my routine doesn't work without them. What can I do? Anyone else had this problem?

I was also wondering...

I take Perdiem which has Psyllium and Senna. Can it cause complications down the road?

... ...

Stimulants vs. laxatives

Laxatives work by increasing the water inside the intestine, pulling water from the body. Some also have the effect of a stimulant, moving stool down the intestine faster. Senna and cascera fall into this latter category and are frequently seen as associated with megacolon development over the long term.

Bisacodly tablets are also stimulants, and are less likely to cause this problem (we think). We do not recommend their use routinely unless someone has used senna or cascera for so long that their body will no longer function without some type of stimulant.

(KLD)

How long is too long?

I'm glad I asked this question! I'll try something. I'm kind of stuck though because I can't drink enough and still have a life because I can't cath when I'm out. I need too figure something out...

It's relative

There is no real definition for "long" although at our center we do try to limit the use of routine stimulants to no more than 3 months at a time (with some exceptions).

(KLD)

I guess I should ask also. I've been taking senna, docusate and fiber-con since my injury 2.5 yrs ago in combo with the "bullet". Should I be concerned with this?

Originally posted by Cowboy_MT:

I guess I should ask also. I've been taking senna, docusate and fiber-con since my injury 2.5 yrs ago in combo with the "bullet". Should I be concerned with this?
    yeah I second that curiousity/concern! I'm the same way, sans the senna & docusate.

thanks for all your input SCI-Nurse(s)... you all do a wonderful job here & I hope you know how much of a blessing you are. This site wouldn't be the same w/o you all!!!

SCI Nurse,

Is it harmful to use the magic bullet every day? If so what do you suggest as an alternative? Thanks.

Other meds

To date, we have no scientific studies indicating any long term detrimental effects of using docosate (DSS, Colace), bisacodyl (Dulcolax, Magic Bullet), or glycerine (suppositories, Theravac, etc.), or psyllium (Metamucil, Citracel, etc.) on a long term basis.

(KLD)