Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Accidental overdoses

I never use too, but now I can see where it could happen, Last night my tailbone area hurt so bad that I could have taken more pain medicine and not thought a thing about it. I hurt so bad that all you want to do is just get rid of the pain I use a duralgesic 25 McGram patch and 5/500 mg of Lortab, They don't seem to be working at all anymore, not to mention the burning from my feet.

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Originally posted by metronycguy:

Brian, you are fortunate that marijuana works well for you on your pain. for many people it doesn't work. i am fortunate that acupuncture has in the long run worked well for me and reduced my need for other pain medications.
    I know it does not work for a few it makes pain worse but I would say 80 percent of sci I have met it works well..

Marijuana is safe. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Administrative Law Judge, Francis L. Young stated in his 1988 ruling, "Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known.

Marijuana can be used to treat a variety of conditions. Approved by approved voter initiative in 1998, the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act allows for the use of marijuana to treat cancer, glaucoma, AIDS/HIV, cachexia, severe pain, severe nausea, seizures (epilepsy), and persistent muscle spasms (Multiple Sclerosis). Currently, more than 300 Oregon physicians participate in this program.

Marijuana is not a "gateway" drug. According to the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine, "There is no evidence that marijuana serves as a stepping stone [to other drugs of abuse] on the basis of its particular physiological effect...It does not appear to be a gateway drug to the extent that it is the cause or even that it is the most significant predictor of serious drug abuse." Source: Joy, Janet E., Stanley J. Watson, Jr., and John A. Benson, Jr. Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base for the Division of Neuroscience and Behavioral Research, Institute of Medicine. (Washington DC: National Academy Press, 1999), Chapter 3, pp. 98-100.

Medical groups support marijuana. Numerous prestigious medical organizations support access to medical marijuana. These include American Academy of Family Physicians, American Preventive Medical Association, American Public Health Association, American Society of Addiction Medicine, Lymphoma Foundation of America, National Association of People with AIDS, National Women's Health Network, and the New England Journal of Medicine.

Brian, I've been reading your posts about the benefits of marijuana for quite a while now and have never responded. Also, reading about and listening to members describe their suffering has finally penetrated a very stubborn, fossilized portion of my brain.

I don't suffer with chronic pain, but I've suffered with pain for various reasons at different times in my life. Never once did I consider using marijuana. It was illegal! It was what we did during our "young, wild" days. It was for democrats! LOL

I had one surgeon tell me I was "a cheap drunk" meaning that it took the minimum anethesia to knock me out. Same with pain killers. I'm sure I'd be one of those who could easily OD without meaning to. Lortab, hydrocodone, percocet ... those drugs knock me on my butt, make hallucinate, have crazy dreams, and feel more like an inmate in an asylum. I hate them.

Your point that you can't OD on marijuana struck a nerve with me. Except for overeating, there really is no serious, life threatening side effect. It's natural! God put it on this earth, and I'm sure he had a good reason.

All that to say, brian, is you've convinced a once conservative republican that the legalization of marijuana is necessary in this country. It's ridiculous that tobacco, alcohol, etc. are legal and kills thousands every year. Marijuana just takes the pain away.

I am going to step off my normally conservative, anti-hippi platform.

We (America) have fallen behind the rest of our community when it comes to research involving extracts of THC. A big reason we have fallin behind is the Bible thumping ultra-conservative jackasses out there. Now I did not say the 'whole' reason, for those nit-pickers out there.

We need to allow it, just as we do a prescription drug. It needs to be medically controlled and taxed like other pharmaceuticals. This is to insure that it has a consistant purety, and that it would be accessable. We would make the insurance companies and Medicare/Medicade pay for it. This is the only forseable option!

Now back to my podium...

Original martha2

All that to say, brian, is you've convinced a once conservative republican that the legalization of marijuana is necessary in this country. It's ridiculous that tobacco, alcohol, etc. are legal and kills thousands every year. Marijuana just takes the pain away.
    I really convinced someone
    I used to think pot was really really bad like the government said but from my own experiance and research I have learned they are liers, how can you trust them if they arrest sick and dieing people????? what else are they lying about?? Bush said before he was elected it was up to states to decide about it, then after he changed his mind.
    I am not some stoned out of my mind hippie
    using mmj when i need to improves my life, if Bush and his friends want me and others to suffer, I would say his higher power is Satan

The Republican party is an interesting, complex organism. There was a time in my life when I was deeply entangled in it, almost consumed by it. So I got to see firsthand what's going on in there.

Like the Democratic party, the R's have its warring factions, connected mainly (and sometimes loosely) by philosophical and political principles. One of those factions would be corporate America, big money, lobbies (including tobacco, alcohol, firearms, etc.) country club members, etc. Lots of power. Then there are the ideologues, the politicos, the cut throats ... again, power is the name of the game.

Then there's the middle class, hard-working, church-going, struggling to keep marriage and family intact, over taxed taxpayer. Almost no power, except maybe in pure numbers ... and votes. They tend to be pro-life, pro-military, pro-law enforcement, almost paranoid (some actually are) about the further disintegration of morals, family, freedom, etc.

Just like with ESC research, which this group also strongly opposes, the legalization of marijuana would send them into utter hysteria. It's rooted in fear and misinformation, or lack thereof.

So combine the powerful lobbies of tobacco, alcohol, pharmacueticals, with this group ... start counting votes and campaign dollars, and Bush doesn't have a choice if he wants to be the R nominee.

I honestly believe these people, and I'm willing to give Bush the benefit of the doubt here too, in their heart believe and want to do the RIGHT thing. When you're not sure what the RIGHT thing is, you ask, "What is the law?" Well, the law is that mj is illegal. Aha! There's the answer then. No need to think about it anymore.

Until you start knowing and caring about suffering people for whom nothing else will work ... and they're risking jail because of it.

That was me. I've been in the unique position of experiencing all 3 of those factions of the Rs. I know a lot of these people well and think highly of most. Again, they're good people, but like ESC research, the facts about mj have been skewed to benefit the political powers that be. Yeah, it sucks.

Originally posted by martha2:

The Republican party is an interesting, complex organism. There was a time in my life when I was deeply entangled in it, almost consumed by it. So I got to see firsthand what's going on in there.

Like the Democratic party, the R's have its warring factions, connected mainly (and sometimes loosely) by philosophical and political principles. One of those factions would be corporate America, big money, lobbies (including tobacco, alcohol, firearms, etc.) country club members, etc. Lots of power. Then there are the ideologues, the politicos, the cut throats ... again, power is the name of the game.

Then there's the middle class, hard-working, church-going, struggling to keep marriage and family intact, over taxed taxpayer. Almost no power, except maybe in pure numbers ... and votes. They tend to be pro-life, pro-military, pro-law enforcement, almost paranoid (some actually are) about the further disintegration of morals, family, freedom, etc.

Just like with ESC research, which this group also strongly opposes, the legalization of marijuana would send them into utter hysteria. It's rooted in fear and misinformation, or lack thereof.

So combine the powerful lobbies of tobacco, alcohol, pharmacueticals, with this group ... start counting votes and campaign dollars, and Bush doesn't have a choice if he wants to be the R nominee.

I honestly believe these people, and I'm willing to give Bush the benefit of the doubt here too, in their heart believe and want to do the RIGHT thing. When you're not sure what the RIGHT thing is, you ask, "What is the law?" Well, the law is that mj is illegal. Aha! There's the answer then. No need to think about it anymore.

Until you start knowing and caring about suffering people for whom nothing else will work ... and they're risking jail because of it.

That was me. I've been in the unique position of experiencing all 3 of those factions of the Rs. I know a lot of these people well and think highly of most. Again, they're good people, but like ESC research, the facts about mj have been skewed to benefit the political powers that be. Yeah, it sucks.

Things are changing is like a pot revolution as of late,, another great article:
    An End To Marijuana Prohibition

By Ethan A. Nadelmann
    Source: National Review

Never before have so many Americans supported decriminalizing and even legalizing marijuana. Seventy-two percent say that for simple marijuana possession, people should not be incarcerated but fined: the generally accepted definition of "decriminalization." Even more Americans support making marijuana legal for medical purposes. Support for broader legalization ranges between 25 and 42 percent, depending on how one asks the question. Two of every five Americans-according to a 2003 Zogby poll-say "the government should treat marijuana more or less the same way it treats alcohol: It should regulate it, control it, tax it, and only make it illegal for children."

http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread19112.shtml

Brian, marijuana does not work for a lot of the chronic people here, or the side effects are undesirable for daytime use, such as when working and doing activities of daily living.
    i am definitely in support of marijuana legalization for pain. its ridiculous to let people suffer in pain when there is treatment available.
    i have used it and it seemed to have worked quite well when i was awoken by pain, and this stuff is probably 8 years old!
    however i would not want to have to smoke it during the day to relieve my pain, i dont like the associated buzz, and munchies!

Brian, marijuana does not work for a lot of the chronic people here, or the side effects are undesirable for daytime use, such as when working and doing activities of daily living.
    i am definitely in support of marijuana legalization for pain. its ridiculous to let people suffer in pain when there is treatment available.
    i have used it and it seemed to have worked quite well when i was awoken by pain, and this stuff is probably 8 years old!
    however i would not want to have to smoke it during the day to relieve my pain, i dont like the associated buzz, and munchies!
    Well you should not use mmj before you drive a car or operate heavy machinery, just like most other heavy pain meds, if you are busy during the day you tend to keep your mind off the pain more, cuts my pain a little more then half, livable for me, and takes 2 or 3 days after using it for all the pain and spasms to come back.
    I lived in a disabled 60 apt. building in the 80s in Mpls Mn. mostly sci. and I would say 60 percent of them used mmj.A couple of quads died from perscribed meds while I lived there. Also helps ALOT with depression , shhhhh dont tell the companys that make prozac and wellbrutrin,they will pour more money into keeping it illeagal.
    I think another reason may be they dont want its cousin hemp to become legal. They say you can get better and 3 times the fuel from it then corn in the same space.
    Why else would they keep saying the same old outright lies to keep it illegal?? Reefer Madness????

"When even one American who has done nothing wrong is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril. "
    - Harry S. Truman -

Brian, marijuana does not work for a lot of the chronic people here, or the side effects are undesirable for daytime use....however i would not want to have to smoke it during the day to relieve my pain, i dont like the associated buzz, and munchies!
    I'm mot claiming to follow everything on the use and legalization of medical marijuana, but I definitely support its use for medical purposes. So many people get bent out of shape over beancounters in HMOs/insurance companies essentially practicing medicine by ruling what a doctor may or may not do for a patient. Some of these same people need to recognize that the govt is doing the exact same thing when it comes to medical marijuana.

Doctors are qualified to decide what benefits a patient MUCH more than some bureaucrat or legislator. And it drives me batty too when some nitwit claims that there's no evidence that marijuana has medical benefit. Bull!!!

Of course, one of the driving forces at work here is the drug companies that can't stand the thought of people growing their own meds. They might actually lose a fraction of a percent of their astronomical profits.

All sorts of "street drugs" have medical value, such as herion, and doctors should be allowed to have them in their arsenal to help patients.