Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Our experiences with Oxycontin...

Formerly The People's Republic of Palo Alto, Now The Urban Wasteland - Orange, CA
    smileysue: Ouch. My condolences on your issues.

I had to debate for a while whether or not I wanted to keep adding to this ancient thread and I shall indeed. I have a prescription for Oxycontin time time release (I think they're called OP80s by the addicts), 80mg. I used to pop them like candy - my little green tic tacs. Well, not exactly. They tasted awful. But... in terms of pain, they really knocked that down. Unfortunately for me, however, they also made me fairly non-functional all the time. Falling asleep at random and driving really don't mix.

Had to make a change, and I demanded one from my doctor. I didn't ask nicely, I didn't hint at a change - I said, 'this is untenable, and we must change the strategy now.'

I ended up with a Fentanyl prescription (or "duragesic" as the fancy label says) 50mcg/hr as an alternative, and so far so good. Well, not perfect. I've been taking opiates so long I don't know what a clear head feels like, but, that having been said, even in my diminished condition I'm still 2 standard deviations smarter than the norm, I figure I can do without those brain cells.

There's still a ton of pain, and I've had to balance out the option of feeling too drugged with feeling too much pain. It's a delicate high-wire act - too much of one or the other and I'll end up not too functional. C'est la vie as they say.

PaloAltoPixie, wow, has it really been that long since I visited this site and this thread. I had to perform a google search for my user id in order to find the site bc I couldn't remember the link.
    Quite a precarious balancing act, I'm sure.
    I've had two friends who died in the last couple of years after consuming an accidental lethal mixture of pills and alcohol. One of them was suffering pain at the time and the other wasn't feel well but neither of them had ever known the extreme pain that I've been dealing with so it scares me when I think about how I chase my pain meds with a shot of tequila in order to intensify the affects.

At least you were assertive enough with your doctor to demand a change, I remember always being so passive with doctors. Not at first, not with my primary doctor or the doctors at the rehab institute bc I didn't have any reason to but the passiveness started after I began to have to visit new doctors after my insurance coverage was terminated. Doctors do not like to give out pain meds. I hate being treated as though I'm an addict just trying to score drugs.
    well, yes, I am an addict now but I'm not in search of a "high." I only want to reduce my pain and suffering.

I can relate to your last couple of paragraphs, how long have you been experiencing chronic pain? I couldn't find much info about you and I'm too lazy to read the posts again, lol.

My new plan is to stock up on pain meds and use however many of them I need in order to work a full time job. I no longer care about preserving my life for as long as possible. I've decided I'd rather kill myself a little quicker than a little slower bc at least if I'm able to contribute income, I won't feel like a burden as much.

good luck to you

I honestly didnt read all the post but when I left rehab after my injury, I was giving a book. A manual basically life after S.C.I and Im one of the hundred of thousands Chronic pain SCI. Methadone is the mildest pain killer written in that book. Also it help take pain away from withdrawls of other strong pills. I take 10mgs 3 times a day and truthly 2 at times because the pain is always gonna be here. We tend to build a web of confusion on our own then to accept the reality and find a way to decrease it as well with other means, such as excersize, prayer and helping others I find helpful. Im now off balance due to changes but at one time I was ok with 1 methodone pill and was following all the 3 advice above. My family is not supportive in trying to help me but i ended up in the shelter and suffered. I have faith that i will be ok. Get on methodone but dont increase to where u fall off balance.
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

I have to add to my post, WHERE IS THE SUPPORT, we dont have the ability to rally. I have not seen a comercial in support to SCI. It is sad the dicrimination I been through and the physical harm because the people know we are those without the support. Sorry to express myself in such manner but I endure this pain and know the reality of being poor parapligea with no support but a stupid check that goes to my bills..

Tolerating Pain, sometimes.......

I too deal with the same pain in which you all describe. My pain regimimate hasn't changed in 6 yrs. I still take Methadone (15mg 2x daily) and hydromorphone (or dilaudid) 8mg every 4hrs as needed as bell as neurontin 300mg every 4hrs. All of this recently just scratches the surface of my leg and foot pain. I'm a C6-7 incomplete w/ no movement below my nipple line but w/ all the pain I feel I can possibly endure. Oohhh does it hurt! Mere words nor tears come close to describing the pain.
    I appologise if Im out of line or wavered too far away from the forum's subject. Frankly, I feel better after finally being able to just say it. Thanks all for lending and ear.....

Oilman,

There's no need to apologize, your right no tears or words can even begin to describe the pain it can be very maddening! I've been coming on here for a few years now hoping to read about some magic elixir someone has discovered to take way the pain ALL our sci brothers and sisters feel. Sadly most of what I see is thread after thread and post after post of missery going back ALOT of years.

Papito 1 hit the nail on the head NMO we have NO support no advocate for us and until that happens we are going to continue to play pin the tail on the donkey in hopes that one day SOON someone finds something to help.

In the meantime most of us myself included will continue too take a mixture of drugs even the same ones people have tried before us hoping maybe even praying we might be a little different.

There are days (mostly nights) were I don't want to wake up in the morning. And even though the new year has just started I've already wondered on more than one occasion if I'll be able to make it through 2013. I pray I can because sure as shit if I didn't/don't then the next day they would come out with something for the pain.

With all that said I hope everyone was able to find some relief today even if just a little.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

In my pass i use to be reckless n i find my self humble after years of prison time. I sometimes feel like bringing awareness in a super big way that may cause me sacrafice for the cause in bring awareness. I thought of hang on a bridge with a big sign help us Dr and stop placing barriers on us all SCI knowing we cant unite due to barriers of all sorts. When i mean hang is not suicide! but equiptment. Not to sure just yet but i want to make big time news with just the intention to notice us SCI are in pain and are not being understood and treated like we have no issues such like extensive pain. Dont compare us to pill poppers. Where i live at they took the YMCA in wish i want to join out of boredom and no support group here in Canmden, nj...

I wish I had the balls to make some kind of statement. Oh I lay in bed and think what about this or what about that to get someones attention. It's probably sour Grapes but if we were some overpriced politician more headway would have probably been made by now.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

I realize this was an old thread , but what good info for a newbe like me. I'm on oxydone ER 40 mg 3x day. I also had a problem with each pill lasting 12 hours. For me it was more like 6 hrs max. I'm in Germany right now and my pain doc is very supportive. I saw on the internet an article about a lidocain protocol and brought it to his attention. He agreed to give it a try and I've had 2 infusions so far. I'm happy with the results as I rarely have to take any BT pills now. The effects only last for 3 weeks though. I'm hoping that the longer I get this I'm hoping the longer the effect will last. I'm also very concerned with overdosing on these meds. How much is needed for that? I'm taking 120mg a day and sometimes like a glass of wine in the evening. Is that dangerous? This med does make me very tired at times....to where I just can't keep my eyes open and have to sleep. When I ask my doc he said I'm fine, my levels are low.....really?
    I'm so glad I've found all of you.