Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Our experiences with Oxycontin...

Surfcat,may I ask you where you found these post where people with sci are taking oc 3 times a day.Thxs for the help..Stigg

Surfcat,
    I don't usually reply to anything, for I only have a webtv and can't "see" what I am writing, so I usually just read. I will see if this gets through to you? I originally was started on OC (20mgxevry12hrs), about 3 years ago. About 6 months later, I went to 40mg, same dosing. I kept telling my Doc that at about 7-8hrs, I began to feel a big increase in pain levels and had this incredible urge to yawn. I know this sounds rediculous, but I couldn't stop yawning and my eyes would water as though I was crying. I have since learned that OC is dispensed into the system within the first few hours, and since it is, by the 4th hr you are at peak blood levels. therefore, by the 12th hour, you don't have any opiate left, so what was happening was, I was going into withdrawal by my 8th hour! Still, my Doc bumped me up to 60mg every 12hr. I was on that dose for about a year, but was taking breakthroughs more often. That was supposed to be the idea for taking OC, so I didn't need the BT's! Finally, when he could see I was building a tolerance to the 60mg, he was willing to increase my dose to 80mg every12 hr. I asked why we didn't try taking the 40mg every 8 hr, and he agreed, since I would be taking the same amt. in a 24hr period, instead of increasing. That was the success for me! I was on that dose for I think about 6months, until this past month, we increased to 60mg every 8hr. This keeps the breakthroughs down to a mimimum. I don't like to take drugs either, but I guess for me, it is far better than other options I have considered. I don't have any problems with feeling high...wish for once that would happen...no side-effects at all.
    Hope this helps and you are having less pain these days.
    Dumpty

I havn't taken Oxycontin personnaly, however I do have 22 yrs. experience with Pain associated with SCI. I hate to say this but it sounds like your mood swings are probably due to your body wanting more medication, I do assume your still taking your meds. per your perscription, and are not yet self-medicating. You are probably becoming addicated to them, thus the mood swings,which will get worse over time.

Are you having your liver check annually? Or how do you know there eating-up your stomach. I have been told that Codiene would eat up my liver, but it must take 30 or 40 years because I been taking Codiene for 20+ yrs, and I do have my liver checked annually to be safe; and so far my liver is just fine (last checked 12/02.

As for the pain, Take The Pain Killers, do not allow your self to suffer.

I am a two-time recovering CODIENE Addict, this is my second time I have quit taking Pain Meds. The first time I quit for 1 yr, which I just suffed the pain, so I know suffing isn't the right thing to do.

Be honest with your physician, and If your current one isn't listening or trying to help find alternatives, FIND ONE THAT WILL.

After 22 years I think I have finally found one thats trying alternatives.

Today my Doctor gave me oxycodone 5mg tabs one every 4-6hrs..At first he gave me 40mg of oxycontin 3 times a day but my insurance would not pay for this drug but they would pay for oxycodone.I know they are the same drug but is oxycontin 40mg better then oxycodone 5mg because I dont seem to get much relief off of the 5mg.I need to take 2 tabs to get any pain relief and it only last a few hours!
    Happy Trails Stiggy

Oxycontin is better, because it is continuous release. Discuss MSContin or methadone with the doc..

PLEASE only consider Methadone as the very last option, and only after you have tried everything and then tried everything again. Methadone is not something you want to consider lightly. It is a drug you may be on the rest of your life!

If you need opiates to control your pain enough to give you a life, you'll be on that opiate for life, be it Oxycontin, MScontin, or methadone. Methadone is no better or worse than any of the other opiates, save that it requires a longer taper if/when you want to get off it. It's also the least expensive opiate available.

I need to ask a question about Oxycodone..Whats the difference between Oxycodone 5mg and Oxycontin 40mg.Is oxy 5mg for break through pain and oxy 40mg TR.Because oxy 5mg does not last long for pain. Thx..Happy Trails Stiggy

Oxycontin - long acting time release oxycodone. Oxycodone plain - short acting. Use for breakthrough, or acute pain such as post-op.

Blog Entries
    i am a c/4-5, 8 mos post, been taking OCodone once the leg/buttocks burning, and general discomfort becomes unbearable each day. the most undesirable side effect seems to be constipation. this then leads to more pain, then no way to avoid OC the following day. anyone else have similar experience.<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>