Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Problem of (Managed) Pain

David

Thanks for your post. I do agree that the primary care doctor is more likely to know if a given patient is prone to overreaction, and normally should be either in charge or part of any pain management effort. There is a kind of heuristic phenomenon I have observed in some pain centers. Since they are flooded witht low back pain, they tend to react with something less than alarm when a person says they are in intolerable pain. All this shows once again how essential it would be to find some way to measure pain, even if the measure is gross. It may even be that we need a subspecialty in pain management for severe neuropathic pain. There are so many additonal factors which come into play.

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I posted on this thread. I still haven't gone to a pain clinic, but I did go in to talk to the doctor who implants the pain pumps. If anything he kinda freaked me out a little more about getting one! I have talked to my physiatrist more about the pump though since and am considering getting it now. I didn't know that the meds bypass your digestive system when administered through a pump. That makes it more attractive to me as I've had a lot of trouble with constipation and such. When I was going through rehab I remember my doctor saying to call him if they ever wanted to "cut into me". (I did my rehab at the University of Michigan Hospital which is about 3.5 hours from where I live.) I'm always thinking about what he said... I may have to bite the bullet and do it...

Lonecoaster, I totally understand where your coming from. It's flat out ridiculous that those of us who suffer every day with chronic pain have to deal with that crap...

I just thought I had to add that the last thing I would ever want to do, and I'm sure there's many who would agree, is abuse my pain medication! I wish I never had to take the stuff in the first place! It reeks havoc on your body and has no other effect except to kill pain and slow you down... Oh, and to make you feel sick...

As someone else previously mentioned, but I never saw any response, have you tried gabapentin or neurontin? I was recently prescribed gabapentin and although it could never replace the oxycontin I take, it does seem to have helped to sort of level out my pain so that I am not having as many breakthroughs. It has really been helpful. Although I still am taking about the same amount of oxycodone for breakthroughs as I did before, I have not been suffering as much as before. I have been under medicated since my injury constantly fighting with my doctor to increase my dosage while worrying the whole time that I am going to get cut off when all I am trying to do is get up to a level that works so that I can try to live a somewhat normal life. I think probably the only reason that I haven't been cut off yet is that my wife has complained about me being in pain more than I have, and is constantly asking what the heck they, my doctor, is going to do about my constant suffering.