Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dilaudid in intrathecal medtronic pump

dilaudid in intrathecal medtronic pump

I have been using morphine & baclofen in my pump for 2 yrs. now with a catheter break & pump revision surgery 4 X in the past 12 months. I have reached a point where the morphine dose is so high as to effect me physically (tired, fatigued, confused at X etc.) yet provide almost no pain relief (severe neuropathic in left foot and leg) and the baclofen is just about right (morphine rate 11 mg./day & baclofen 250 micrograms/day. I just underwent a dilaudid trial involving injection of .025mg. of dilaudid into the intrathecal space. When my pain mgmt. M.D. returns from vacation the plan is to substitute dilaudid for morphine & then titrate up to a hopefully therapeutically effective dose for pain relief w/o the side effects referenced above. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE PERTINENT EXPERIENCE WITH DILAUDID IN THE PUMP OR ANY SALIENT ADVICE TO OFFER ME IN THIS ONGOING AND NEVERENDING SEARCH FOR RELIEF AND THEN A LIFE???

Perhaps someone in the Mass. General Hospital Braintalk forum on chronic pain 2 or spinal disorders 3 is using a pump with dilaudid. Dr. Whitworth on the SD3 forum may be of some help. Here's the url - http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/

Good luck. You sound as desperate as me.

it is tough to get the right mix....

RRD,
    I agree it is tough to get to the right mixture, or recipe. That stinks you've had such trouble with the pump. I've had dilaudid/baclofen from the start and it works ok for me. Had allergy to morphine. Sorry I just saw this, you probably have gone to your appointment. My concern would be how they are going to switch you and reduce any possible effects from taking out the morphine...
    There is a pump group on the web, at Yahoo groups. Link is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pumpsters/. Might be able to get some help there.

Best to you...

Morphine pumps dangerous glitch

Using your search engine, use the phrase above and read the article concerning the use of dilaudid. This was the drug of choice at the time my pump was installed, in 2001, I woke up paralyzed from the waist down on 1 nov 2007. The paralysis was caused by a granuloma the size of a pea compressing the spinal cord.

neuropathic pain

Narcotics, unfortunately do not work well for neropathic pain in most sci's
    My neuro pain is close to a 7 or 8. I have run the gamet of drugs, elavil, neurontin and lyrica(very high doses) with little sucess over my 16 years of sci
    . I use mind distraction during the day, and sedate myself at night with ambien and klonopin so I can get some sleep. When My feet are burning so bad there's not a drug I know of that relieves the pain. The only way would be to knock me unconsious, but that is not acceptable for me
    basically np is a bitch
    John
    Chicago
    c-7 incomplete post 16 yrs.
    Baclofen pump since 1995(3rd pump) very sucessful.

One note: My neurosurgeon Dr. Richard Penn(search engine him) is working with Medtronics to get neurontin into liquid form to use in the pump, He said this would work better than oral. Hopefully within the next few years this will be available.

Mine are beyond 10 all over, and nothing has worked, not for pain and not sleep. Now, I'm getting pain, numbness, and weaknss above my level, and neurosurgeons say my MRI is unchanged, so they do nothing. I'm scared.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Thumbs up dilaudid over morhine

RRD,

i have had several pumps and am at a low dose because it is a process to increse it little at a time because i get sick from it. Dilaudid and babutivicain ( this is a numbing agent ) mix are the best i have found. of course i am still have a pain level of no less then 5, but i have had 19 years to get use to it. i do wish my quality of life was better but we all know how that is. i only get about 2 hours a night sleep and do fall into deep depression but again that is where my partner and friends come into play, they do there best to help get me out of it.
    Last edited by irackmup8; 02-25-2008 at 10:08 AM.

dilaudid in pump

Quote Originally Posted by rrd View Post
    I have been using morphine & baclofen in my pump for 2 yrs. now with a catheter break & pump revision surgery 4 X in the past 12 months. I have reached a point where the morphine dose is so high as to effect me physically (tired, fatigued, confused at X etc.) yet provide almost no pain relief (severe neuropathic in left foot and leg) and the baclofen is just about right (morphine rate 11 mg./day & baclofen 250 micrograms/day. I just underwent a dilaudid trial involving injection of .025mg. of dilaudid into the intrathecal space. When my pain mgmt. M.D. returns from vacation the plan is to substitute dilaudid for morphine & then titrate up to a hopefully therapeutically effective dose for pain relief w/o the side effects referenced above. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE PERTINENT EXPERIENCE WITH DILAUDID IN THE PUMP OR ANY SALIENT ADVICE TO OFFER ME IN THIS ONGOING AND NEVERENDING SEARCH FOR RELIEF AND THEN A LIFE???
    in may 2006 i had two laminectomies -one may 4th and one may 19th the first one i was on i.v. dilaudid...tHE SECOND ONE WAS ONLY FIFTEEN DAYS LATER THEY DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE ME ON I.V. DILAUDID FOR TWENTY DAYS OUT OF A THIRTY DAY MONTH SO MAY 19TH THEY PUT A CATHETER IN MY BACK BEFORE STAPLING ME UP --WORKS JUST LIKE A DILAUDID PUMP-- THE PAIN RELIEF WAS GREAT.. I DIDN'T REALIZE I WASN'T ON I.V. MEDS FOR TWO DAYS UNTIL THE NURSE TOLD ME THE CATHETER WAS IN MY BACK I SUFFERED VERY LITTL PAIN I RAN AROUND THE FONDREN ORTHAPEDIC CENTER LIKE A OLYMPIC SPRINTER THIS WAS 100 TIMES MORE RELIVING THAN THE I.V. DIAUDID WHICH HAD ME PRETTY COO-COO ..P.S. I CURRENTLY AM UNDERGOING A SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR TRIAL ITS A JOKE I HAV CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME AND THE STIMULATOR JUST CAN'T SEEM TO REACH MY PAIN--TODAY IS TUESDAY FEB. 23 I GET THE LEADS OUT THURSDAY AND THEN WE GO TO THE MORPHINE PUMP TRIAL MY NUREOSURGEON KNOWS THAT IT WORKS SO HE DOES ONLY ONE SHOT OF 1.5 MG OF MORPHINE IN THE SPINE AND 24 HOURS LATER I LET HIM KNOW MY RELIEF AND WE SCHEDULE THE IMPLANT FINALLY I BELIVE I WILL GET THE LAST SIX YEARS OF MY LIFE CONFINED TO MY RECLINER AND LIVING ROOM BACK AND WHO KNOWS MAYBE GET TO GO BACK TO WORK HOO RAH ANYONE WITH ANY ADVICE ABOUT YOUR FIRST SIX MONTHS OR HOW LONG IT TOOK TO DIAL IN EXACTLY ON YOUR PAIN PLAEASE WRITE ME ANYTHING U THINK I MAY FIND USEFULL PLEASE WRITE THANX WADE PRESLEY---SURFERBOY PAINSUCKS----

Good luck to all. I tried Intrathecal Morphine and Dialaudid. They did nothing for the neuro pain but helped with the mechanical pain. The bad news is my nerve health is marginal and they both turned off my B&B.

The Dorsal spinal stim I have stopped providing relief in less than a year. It still functions and "buzzes" in the right places, just no relief anymore.

Also Cauda Equina
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

I had been lucky never to have an allergic reaction to any drugs until I tried Dilaudid. I wonder...do they give you a dose of the drug before it's put into the pump just to make sure??? I know very little about the pumps...just wondering?
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem