Thread: Dealing with pain

Dealing with pain

I guess that we all deal with our pain in different ways. Certainly am not an expert at it either.

I have to deal with pain from arthritis which seems to bother me more now that I am on treatment. I hate to take any more meds. The doctor has told me to take tylenol to help alleviate some of the side effects of treatment. The treatment makes me ache all over, well, the parts of me that I am still able to feel. Weakness is one of the side effects I hate to feel. Thinking about it, I don't like any of the sides I get but it is so important to me that I fight this dragon and beat it.

I recall the pain I felt when I was first injured and this discomfort I feel now is nothing compared to it I think. The doctor at that time had me on morphine for the pain. It would get so bad at times that it would make me pass out while I waited for my shot. The one thing they were very good (or so I think) is that they would never give it to me before the four hours were over. IMO, that is what helped me to not get addicted to it.

One reason I do not like to take anything that has the possibility of addiction is what I have seen previously in my life. I saw a beautiful, caring, smart sister go down that road. She was someone I admired so much for what she managed to do in spite of so many hardships. Won't go into detail about it all but will say she was really someone to be admired. She suffered depression, fell into the hands of a doctor who didn't care for his patients. He prescribed her antidepressants. He never monitored her progress and/or decline. She became addicted. Everything she used to be was gone. All she could concentrate in the end was taking "feeling good" pills which the doctor so easily would prescribe. This had such an impact in my life that I prefer to deal with pain and depression with no meds if possible.

This is one of the reasons why I always do my best to warn others of the possibility that lies in some of these pain killers or tranquilizers. If I offend anyone, I apologize. My wish is not to offend. It is only to raise more awareness to this fact.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt the need to write this.

Raven

You do what you have to do to get through each hour, day, week, month, year - and sometimes it's the hours and days that last longer than the weeks and months. Even "wearing another person's shoes", no one is in a position to judge what anyone else has to do to get by. SCI or not. I believe that's what these forums are about - providing a place to listen and to be listened to, unconditionally, and offer/receive advice from those who understand. Good luck, Beth

[This message was edited by GermanyC4 on May 23, 2002 at 03:59 AM.]