Thread: methadone

methadone

My PCP has suggested trying methadone again, but this time going to a higher dose than the last time it was tried. We're not sure how to titrate it up, though. Anyone have any advice on this, as well as on keeping the bowels moving while on it?

Alan,

I would suggest you do a search on the subject of methadone first. I have found that the way it is now used is different than when I used to work in a clinic that dispensed the drug. If you want to make a wise decision, looking all you can on the subject is the best thing to do.

Keep in mind that it is addicting. Have known several people who have used this method of treatment and they have done their best to stay away from it. Then again, I can understand that pain can be intolerable at times. I, personally have not ever used pain killers for long periods of time. It is hard to live with pain, but I prefer not to go that way. Addiction is something to seriously consider in using any of the addicting medications.

This is something I found on the subject....
    Methadone Maintenance

Drug InfoNet-Methadone

Sorry that I cannot give anymore info on the rest of the questions you have. Maybe the links I posted might have what you are looking for.

Raven

I was unable to find info on use of narcotics in SCI victims who already have compromised bowels. Info on methadone use for chronic pain otherwise is fairly plentiful.

Pain Info

Found this ... maybe it may also give you some information. I think one of the links there has a chat room for SCI dealing with pain, it includes physicians too.

Pain

Raven

There wasn't much in those articles, either. Guess we'll go by trial and error.

Thanks.

Not getting anywhere, so far. 10 mg twice a day has no effect on pains (no surprise) and seems to aggravate the numbness in my right arm.