Thread: a mobility device that is low to the ground

a mobility device that is low to the ground

I have some of my gardens that I would like to be able to work in. I have some of my plants in large planters made from chimney tiles, but alot of my perenial gardens are ground level. I have been looking for two years for someone to build me what is called a "castercart" or "wheelboard". I found one that might work shown in a line drawing found in the website and book, "Disabled Village Children" in chapter 65, at the very last picture in the chapter. I would need the back reclined more than it is, and be sized to fit a 22 inch seat. Any suggestions?

Your best shot is to find an engineer in your area that might be interested in making some design ideas. Sounds like an interesting device. If you can't find anyone, let me know and I'll see if I can find someone.

Jeff Sirko
    Live Well Medical Supplies
    www.livewellmedical.com

I have tried engineers and have had very bad luck with them. Rather than building the cart as it is designed,with a few modifications, they want to add things like expensive motors, and other things that are impractical for the designated purpose.

I had the Adaptive Design Center at Wrenthem come down and they sent a physical therepist who not only "felt it was danerous" for me to be on the ground (hove you ever fallen off the floor or ground?), but also did not know about some of the basic information on adaptive equipment and medical supplies. An example is the PT asked why I had a tournaquet on my leg...It was the strap for my legbag. As a PT she had never seen a foley catheter and connected bags before?? And she argued with me about the ability to be lowered to the floor by a hoyer lift. I have been put on the floor dozzons of times by my PCA, just to play with, and cuddle my dog.

This has been the disapointing experience I have had with so called professionals. I had so many hopes, and was very disapointed.

Jef, if you can find someone that has common sense, let me know, as it would be a big help. I have looked for a carpenter or handyman to build this thing for a long time.

One of my PCA's who is in drafting design and engineering,at school, helped me by modifying it slightly to my needs and was enthusiastic about getting it for me. But we have had a hard time finding someone who would build it so I would have it for working in the garden for the summer.

There is a possability the school will build one but the school is shutting down for the summer, and I need to get into the gardens before then. It has been two years and its a mess, although, we are getting alot cleaned up now with Sandra and Mike's help.

I know of someone who might be helpful. Heis an engineer who has worked on railing lift systems and is always into new projects. o you have design layouts or any drawings you oculd email? If you could email those to jeffsirko@livewellmedical.com, I will pass them along and see what if h can get it built.

Jeff Sirko
    Live Well Medical Supplies
    www.livewellmedical.com

Tweety,
    why don't you look at a heavy duty mechanics creeper and modify it? Just a thought.

Tweety,
    I knew a family when I lived in Delaware whose daughter's first chair was very simular to what you are discribing. She has spinal bifita(?), and when she was young they had a very hard time finding a chair that would fit her and allow her the mobility they wanted her to have. I still remember watching her tool around in her unque chair, they used bycicle tires for the rear tires so she had no trouble getting around on her own. I believe her chair sat about 10" off the floor, and the rear tires were the size used on a childs first 2 wheeler. I agree with the suggestion to start with a "creeper" for the base, you could supplment the lenght with a dolly, the kind used to move heavy boxes or plants. Instead of trying to get a engineer to help you with this I would try a welding shop. I've never known a good welder who didn't love to figure out a project like this one! Please keep us posted on your progress with this project.

Linda H.

I've tried to copy the picture so you didn't have to fumble around with web sites and links, but couldn't get it to work, so here is the link. Be sure to go all the way to the bottom of the "page". It is the very last picture in http://www.dinf.ne.jp/doc/english/gl...part3chap65the chapter 65.

I am sorry about the double post, but I was trying to figure out how the link and copy thing worked.
    I am going to call around tomorrow to see what the auto places have for creepers. I will try to get one with good sized casters so they do not sink into the dirt or bind in the cracks or spaces between the bricks on the walkways, and other solid areas. Thanks all of you for your suggestions. You have been of great help! Thank You!!! If anyone else has any ideas, let me know as I can always use you knowledge and ideas!

Tweety,
    I just looked at the "castercart" shown on the link you provided, it is almost identical to the device this little girl used for several years. Now about the creeper, you might need to replace the casters with some wheels. The kind used in childrens wagons should do the trick, and any good welder should be able to attach the small axles that are needed to mount them.

Linda H.