Thread: Central Pain Treatment Study

Central Pain Treatment Study

This appeared on the Cure forum within the last few days, but I haven't seen it on the Pain forum:

Studies Seeking Subjects with SCI

Effectiveness of Embryonic Brain Cells for SCI Pain

John D. Loeser, MD, in the University of Washington Multidisciplinary Pain
    Center, is conducting an investigation of the effectiveness of embryonic brain cells injected into the spinal cord for pain relief. Persons who have complete paraplegia from a spinal cord injury and experience chronic pain may be eligible
    to participate. Participation in this study will involve clinical examinations, an operation to implant the cells into your spinal cord, and lifetime follow-up. For more information, please call Susan Strom at 206-598-4596.

Calic

I can't even travel to the end of my street, let alone from MD to WA. But I'm glad to see someone trying to treat central pain.

Traveling to trials

Originally posted by alan:

I can't even travel to the end of my street, let alone from MD to WA. But I'm glad to see someone trying to treat central pain.
    I don't know if this is Washington, DC, Washington State, or some other Washington, but I understand it doesn't matter if you're too debilitated to go. I'm sure they'll get somebody, and if it's successful, I would think other schools would do more trials.

Take care, Alan,

Calico