Thread: Tests for pain

Tests for pain

Tests for pain

When you experience pain, one of your doctor's first steps is to determine what is causing your discomfort. First, he or she will take your medical history and do a physical exam. The next step may be for you to have one or more diagnostic tests. These tests can identify conditions that can't be detected by a physical exam. Some common diagnostic tests:

Blood sedimentation rate test
    A blood sedimentation rate test measures the rate at which red blood cells settle at the bottom of a glass tube. Many conditions can increase the rate of sedimentation. Some are serious.

Bone scan
    Bone scans can help diagnose bone disorders and hidden fractures.

Computerized tomography
    Computerized tomography is an X-ray technique that produces more detailed images of your internal organs than conventional X-rays.

Electromyography (EMG)
    Electromyography (EMG) measures the electrical activity in nerves and muscles. A doctor may use EMG to evaluate and diagnose muscle and nerve disorders.

MRI
    Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), a diagnostic test, creates cross-sectional pictures of your body. Learn what to expect when you go in for an MRI scan. Video included.

X-ray
    X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.

Tests

Re my post care forum. My partner C2/3 T7 incomplete, suffers the most intense pain which is getting worse. He has never been examined either at his one and only hospital visit since the accident or by the local GP. The rehab doctor said oh its muscle pain caused by the way you are walking. END of conversation. Thank heavens I found this site, after being given advice by Wise we have requested an appointment, it will be a 12 week wait but I will go armed with so much information that I have found on this site. It is truly brilliant. Thank you all so much.
    Jane