Thread: shooting pain

shooting pain

In addition to the aspect of my pain that causes the intense burning and feeling of protruding bones across the shoulder blades region, I also get a shooting pain through that area when I lean forward (as I do during ADLs) or back, and sometimes when a blade pops. This aspect doesn't seem like neuropathic pain to me. If it isn't, what could cause it?

Alan,

Yes, the shooting pains you describe can be part of central pain for some people, and considering how severe you've described your neuropathic pain symptoms in the past, I'm not too surprised that you have these pains, too. Some people describe these occasional pains as the worse aspect of their pain, partly because of how severe they can be, and partly because they can hit totally without warning. There's a short webpage on Shooting Pains on PainOnline you can read if you like.

Recently I received an email from someone on another pain email list (I imagine you know that one I'm referring to). I'm sure the author won't mind me sharing a bit of the letter:

Last night I once again had a taste of what hell must be like. Pain, pain and more excrutiating pain. Starting from the elbow down into the hand. One jolt after the other, like an electrical shock applied through a knife cutting into the flesh, over and over again. Visualize a sadist with an electric carver, connected to the mains, slashing away, twisting and turning the infernal thing, grinning with delight as I squirm away. If ever I get my hands on him I'll make him die slowly.

It got so bad I was shouting at God, asking Him "Why me Lord? What is your plan and purpose with me? If this is supposed to make me a better person it isn't working! Please let me know why?" I told Him that if I was destined for hell, bring it on 'cause it can't be nearly as bad as life on earth is for me right now.

Today I'm sitting around in a daze, trying to recover from a night in hell, feeling guilty of my anger at the Lord, wondering if He'll ever forgive me, wondering if He's punishing me for something, wondering what He's punishing me for, wondering when will it end, wondering if death is the only answer, dreading the night approaching, wondering if tonight will be the same. Sorry if I sound desperately morbid, but actually I am.
    These paragraphs are just a part of the original letter. The author used to be a rough-n-tough biker, but he's a long ways from that now.

David Berg

One arm affected (apparently), and it's driving the poor guy nuts. I don't feel as bad now about my mind going from my continual full-body torment. That's the purpose of torture, to destroy the mind of the victim, and that's what happens to us.

With the way the pains and curve affect my life, no wonder I'm depressed and disgusted (and neither can be "fixed," apparently.) As I posted on another forum elsewhere, at least I'd know an end was in sight if the condition was terminal.

If there is an all-powerful God, he certainly doesn't appear to be just or merciful. In my next life, maybe I'll be a healthy, wealthy dictator like Saddam Hussein instead of a nice guy.

On a different note, any new meds come out that might help us out? Has Marinol done any good for central pain? If so, what dose?

[This message was edited by alan on February 09, 2002 at 11:16 PM.]

David, are you still out there?

Alan,

I'm still around. Life might get busy sometimes, but I always make time to stop here for a visit.

David Berg

I'm in total agony as I sit here trying to type this. My pain levels have shot through the roof this week (like 10 wasn't bad enough??) I haven't been able to sleep a wink for the past four nights, and I can barely eat. It feels like some giant being is ripping my shoulder blades apart, and digging into my abdomen with its claws. Those poor folks who jumped from the Trade Center weren't burning more than I am. I'm going totally crazy from this. Of course, it's not getting any better. Could the scoliosis have anything to do with this? It also seems worse.

I'm definitely ready to die, and end this torture, but wishing for death doesn't work. It isn't quadriplegia that makes me feel this way, it's the damn pains that came with it.

[This message was edited by alan on Feb 16, 2002 at 08:59 PM.]

Hey Alan,

I don't know what to say other than try to hang in there and think of better days to come.