Thread: Epidural for Pain Relief?

Epidural for Pain Relief?

I'm a T6 complete, 2 1/2 years post suffering from my butt on fire which seems to be relieved soon after I get in bed and lay on either side or sit on the commode chair. I'm considering having an epidural to see if it will relieve me of my lower butt pain. Has anyone had an epidural for "bottom pain"? Dr. Wise, if you happen to read this post, what is your position on this?

epidural

I had an epidural done to my s1,s2,s3 in 1998. I believe this this is where they were done its been awhile. Anyway my pain is a little different. I'm a c 4-5 incomplete and my pain is right under my scrotum. The epidural did nothing for the pain under my scrotum but did make my butt feel numb, however, it was very short lived 4 to 6 hrs. My doc eventually did a sacral ryzotomy which did nothing for me. I still live with the pain on a daily basis. I guess I the only advise I can give is that with every sci is different and you may get better results. I know this is not very good advice but I just thought I would share my experience. Good Luck. God Bless.

An epidural should reduce or eliminate the pain, but only temporarily. There is reluctance, however, to give local anesthetic agents permanently. The effects of prolonged shut-down of neural input and output of the spinal cord are not well understood. Furthermore, an epidural blockade will eliminate not only sensory input but motor output of the spinal cord. It is shutting down the ability of the spinal nerve roots to conduct activity.

On the other hand, there is really an interesting body of literature that is relevant. I will try to compile that literature and post it here but briefly several studies suggest that if people received an epidural block before and for about a week after an amputation, they do not develop the "phantom" pain that occurs in over 50% of people after the amputation.

Wise.

Additional input regarding Epidural question...

The reason for my original question is that an MRI scan of the Lumbar/Sacral area showed a slight offset between the S1 and L5 vertebrae. There might have been some additional damage when my accident happened. My neurologist said that I might be experiencing pain from that area due to some nerves perhaps being affected. The epidural could possibly determine (by eliminating the pain) if the pain was coming from the S1/L5 area or elsewhere. If elsewhere, then he didn't have much to offer. If it is determined that the pain originates from that area, that could be good news. First, it indicates that some signal must be getting back through the spinal column and second, he could operate to correct the offset and perhaps relieve any pinched nerves.

I have an appointment tomorrow for the epidural and will followup with any additional information.

squawvall, it seems like a reasonable plan. Let us know. Thanks. Wise.

Epidural followup

Monday the 14th I had the Epidual treatment. The doctor use 80 mg of a steriod "Dipromidral" (spelling?). I was told that any effects would not be noticable for at least a week or so.

Will continue to post as any evidence is seen.

Don

Epidural for pain (conclusion)

Tomorrow will be two weeks since I had the Epidural treatment in an attempt to eliminate the pain in my buttucks area. Unfortunatly, it didn't help.

It appears that the pain, though feeling as if it originates in the buttucks area, is actually being generated somewhere else. The epidural should have eliminated any pain coming from my butt, but it didn't.

The one thing the doctors can't seem to explain is the fact that when I get off my bottom and lay on my side or sit on a poddy chair, the pain tends to subside???

It appears the best treatment for this pain (by researching the internet and speaking with other Paras) is the use of Neurontin (Gabapentin)combined with a small amount of Elevil. I've tried Baclofen also but that didn't help either.....

Dr. Wise....any additional comments?

Don...