Thread: Central Pain

Central Pain

What I've read here about "Central Pain" has been very helpful!

I have been told by my doctor that what I experience is an inflammation of the vagus nerve. Some of y'all might recognize this -- the feeling that you have about three tennis balls up your butt ... (for guys) the feeling that there is a vice clamped on your prostate -- feeling like your bladder is full to the point of bursting, though you're draining nicely. That sort of thing.

Not much fun.

bladder

Hi,
    I saw your post regarding bladder pain,sounds like what's going on with me. I am incomplete sci,L-1,S-1,pelvic,neurogenic bladder/bowel,harrington w/fusion.have had neuro pain butt,legs,feet..burning,shocks,etc since injury(1985)...but the bladder pain,extreme urgency/frequency ,rectal/bowel pressure..fullness,yucky sensations in that area began about 2 years ago. I had a hysterectomy 2000, in hopes of relief..when that didn't work, had all kinds of bladder tests, mylegram, cat scans, several "nerve blocks",get a little relief with elavil (zonks me so I can get a bit more sleep),tried neurontin,topomax..AWFUL, felt like a zombie..really don't want to try any more meds, had hoped that something obvious would be found and that it could be fixed...my FORMER Dr."do you know how psycho that sounds?!!!" when I was trying to explain how this felt and why I was cathing 40x's plus..even though my bladder still felt full to bursting regardless...so basically I have gotten reactions from Dr.'s ranging from, I am "psycho", never heard of it,must be making it up,looking for drugs,etc...to it's neuropathic pain, not much Dr. can do if i'm not willing to go through useless injections or take drugs that are sedating...no quality of life there either. I am extremely grateful that I can walk, feel guilty for complaining, haven't complained or sought treatment for back pain, other neuro pain in all the years since the injury,accepted all that and had lived a pretty good active life..truly blessed..this is like some very cruel,twisted,torture..
    I know this sounds awful but seeing your post is somehow comforting to me...I am not crazy, and I'm not alone..If you have found any treatment that helps please let me know...I will do the same...Take care, Cheryl

There is a form of neuropathic pain called "visceral pain". The cause of visceral neuropathic pain, like other forms of neuropathic pain, is not well understood. However, such pain has been thought to be behind the pain of interstitial cystistis (long a term used for people who have bladder pain and attributed to inflammation of the bladder) or gut pain. While inflammation of the vagus may be involved or associated with such pain, I think that this is speculative.

The treatment for visceral neuropathic pain is similar to those used for other forms of neuropathic pain. However, I don't know of any clinical trials that have addressed the effects of the treatments on visceral neuropathic pain.

Wise.

possibilities?

I am trying acupuncture at present, have only been to 3 treatments so far so I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not..I have been looking into other possible treatments..spinal cord stimulator,ventral sacral root stimulation,other device..any thoughts on this? also had read posts on intravesicle oxybutynin instillation directly into the bladder? I have tried the detrol and ditropan orally w/o success, does this mean that it wouldn't work if it were put directly into my bladder? sacral bladder dennervation..what does that entail? could it help in my case? I am very desperate for relief.. would appreciate any info..
    Thank You!
    Cheryl

Try Levsin. If the sublingual helps (0.125mg)there is a regular oral med version too.

? for sue

Hi Sue
    What is Levsin?