Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baclofen pumps

Rush

I would certainly consider Rush-Presbyteria-St. Luke's hospital in Chicago for a baclofen pump. They were one of the original research centers doing these in the USA, so have many years of experience both with MS and SCI. I believe that Northwestern Hospital in Chicago (affiliated with Rehab Institute of Chicago) also is a major center.

OTH, Combined with DA, you will change the English language for the coming century. I love the way you describe things and it is right on the button.

Andrea,

Baclofen pumps have been placed in over 20,000 people since the early 1990's. Failures and complications have declined steadily. Because they test out the catheter before installing the pump, the incidence of bad catheter placement has decreased significantly even since 1998.

There are two classes of complications associated with baclofen pumps. The first class of complications are related to mechanical failure of the pump. These are now very rare. The second class are due to effects of the drug. If you want to read about them, here is a good link:
    http://nyneurosurgery.org/cfr/child/...plications.htm

The advantages of the baclofen pump are as follows:
    1. It reduces the exposure of the rest of the your brain and body to the drug.
    2. It delivers a higher concentration of the drug to where it is required.
    3. Except for refills every several months, it is almost completely care-free.
    4. It is reversible.
    5. It has a strong and good safety record.
    6. Finally, it works.

If you want to read details of the operative procedure and complications, you can find a description at http://uscneurosurgery.com/operating...fen%20pump.htm

Wise.

I would encourage all of you considering the baclofen pump to get a good look at it, how it will be placed under the skin and how often it must be maintained.

I opted against the pump, at least for now, because I had a really bad experience w/the spinal tap/baclofen injection effects on me. I've had my medication adjusted, and so far, it has improved my life (& sleep!) about 99 percent!

That is just my opionion. Make sure you get ALL the info and actually SEE what you will be dealing w/before going ahead w/it.

Good luck.
    Andrea

TIRR has a whole pump team with a very well standardized protocol for preparing and assessing patients before placing the pump. There was a pdf document from TIRR describing the procedure but it is unfortunately no longer there and so I just retrieved a
    stored copy of the paper on Google

Your correct as usual KLD

KLD writes

"Rush

I would certainly consider Rush-Presbyteria-St. Luke's hospital in Chicago for a baclofen pump. They were one of the original research centers doing these in the USA, so have many years of experience both with MS and SCI. I believe that Northwestern Hospital in Chicago (affiliated with Rehab Institute of Chicago) also is a major center."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dr Richard Penn a pioneer in baclofen pumps has moved back to Chicago from NY. He was at Rush but now he is at the Univ. Of Chicago hospitals.

I get refilled at RIC , Top notch staff!!!!!

My first pump put in by Dr. Penn had the new larger experimental cathether(1995). I was part of a research program for the new cath. Still working great after 2nd pump installed in 4/00.

Dr. Penn is working on growth factors to help cure many neurological diseases, like Wise Young, he is truly one of the "good guys"

John/Chicago

[This message was edited by The Human Cannonball on Mar 07, 2002 at 01:48 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Human Cannonball on Mar 07, 2002 at 01:55 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Human Cannonball on Mar 07, 2002 at 01:57 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Human Cannonball on Mar 07, 2002 at 01:58 PM.]

baclofen pump

Hi pump people,
    I've been a fan of the baclofen pump now for about a year and some of you may have read about my experience on other posts since baclofen seems to be a popular sci. topic. I struggled for 14 months with spasms from hell. Anybody remember Linda Blair's contortions and bed rattling in the "Exorcist" movie. Hell, that was tame. For 13 months I had a jerk Dr. whoo always "consulted with experts" about my spasms. All that stopped them were big doses of I.V. Demerol. I fired the idiot-yeah Dr. Long you! got a real Dr. and in 3 weeks she advised I see a neurologist named Craig Mills in Rapid City South Dakota. I live in Wyoming. A Neurosurgeon Dr. Schwartz, also from Rapid City put it in and now I don't have so much as a twitch. They literally jerked me up into a fetal position before the pump. I'm a C-7 quad for 35 years and was used to "normal" spasms. Rapid City is no big university hospital and no Craig Rehab in Colorado or Mayo clinic, but these 2 Doctors are not only excellent Drs. they are two of the nicest human beings I've met.. My old Dr. Long thought I just did a combination version of the Twist and Tap dance constantly so I could go to the Local E.R. every day for a Demerol Rush, not to mention my month long hospital stays so I could be connected to An I.V.constantly for my hourly doses of 50mg Demerol which is what it took to get my Blood Pressure down from 240 over 250 when the spaz kicked in. My pump is the size of a can of skoal and I get a refill every 4 months. These guys are both in the Rapid City Yellow pages if you need help. Tell them John sent you. Whiterabbit11

baclofen pump

Reply correction- My Blood pressure was 240 over 150, not 250. I guess I should have proofed my reply. I think I'd be dead with the 250. bye