Thread: what are spasms good for?

what are spasms good for?

Now and then I have heard mentioned that you should put up with as many spasms in your legs as you can stand... Why and what good comes from this???

For me:

1) Increased (or sustained) muscle tone

2) Increased blood pressure (mine is low)

3) Increased functionality (hand muscles providing grip)

Not a damn thing, where I'm concerned. Definitely not worth the pain.

I agree with Clipper

For years I would skip my baclofen, drink coffee and put weights around my ankles. I'd then trigger spasms on and off for at least thirty minutes. I think it really helped me. Kind of a poor man's FES. My spasms are rarely painful, though. They usually feel pretty good.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Originally posted by julran:

Now and then I have heard mentioned that you should put up with as many spasms in your legs as you can stand... Why and what good comes from this???
    Without spasms/spasticity, your muscles and bones will atrophy.

Noel

What spasms are good for

Spasms can maintain your lean body mass and prevent a person from looking wasted. They help to maintain some calcium in your bones and slow down (but don't really stop) the osteoporosis associated with SCI. Some people learn how to trigger them deliberately and use them for functional purposes like transfers. The medicines often have sedating side effects, making a person feel sleepy and dull and sometimes even depressed. So if spasms are not causing problems and they don't bother you much, you are probably best to live with them.

But...they can cause pain, they can endanger people's safety by making them fall out of bed or out of their wheelchairs. They can interfere with mobility making it hard for people to propel manual wheelchairs or drive power wheelchairs. They can interfere with care that other people try to provide for an SCI person like washing between the legs, under the arms and in the hands. Abdominal spasms can interfere with breathing. If any of these things are true, you are probably best to work with your doctors to find a good treatment.

That's the medical party line, so to speak.
    RAB

While I could do without the occasional massive abdominal spasms that make some things difficult, I definitely appreciate the spasms in my legs that can be helpful. Usually, when I'm getting dressed, my leg will stick out straight while I'm putting on my pants. That helps a lot in pulling my pants up as it's a bit harder to get them up a bent leg.

Jen

I am a spaz

Many times I can trigger my leg spasms and it seems easier to get legs onto the bed but often my back spasms make it difficult to drive either a manual or power chair. The only times I have come close to crashing in my power chair is during a spasm. I have no trunk control and the spasms will push me forward activating the joystick on my chair. They make it very difficult to stay upright in my chair because when I hit bumps I spasm and before long I look like a low rider in my chair. Weighing the pros and cons, I could pretty much do without the spasms. I take Baclofen and Zanaflex 4 times a day and I can definitely tell when I need to medicate. I often sleep 3-4 hours a day after I have taken my medication which pretty much sucks (then I cannot sleep at night). One thing I have noticed though, my legs are not nearly as feeble looking since my spasms have increased, so I suppose it is helping with tone.

Bama

thanks guys

I think I'm going to back off on my baclofen some. I hope that helps with my daytime sleepiness also.