Doctor Dropped From Oxy Lawsuit

.c The Associated Press


ABINGDON, Va. (AP) - One of two doctors named in a multibillion-dollar lawsuit against the maker of the painkiller OxyContin has been dropped from the suit, her lawyer said Friday.

Dr. Shireen Brohi was dismissed as a defendant at the request of the plaintiffs, lawyer Walter Peake said.

Brohi had been accused of leading patients to addiction by needlessly prescribing the potent drug, which has been linked to at least 120 overdose deaths nationwide.

Emmitt Yeary, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said the doctor's immigration status was a consideration in the dismissal. He would not elaborate.

Also named in the suit was Dr. Richard Norton, a former Lee County Community Hospital emergency room doctor now serving a federal prison sentence in South Carolina for his part in a kickbacks scheme. He remains a defendant.

Seven addicts or relatives of addicts filed the suit in June against Connecticut-based Purdue Pharma and Chicago-based Abbott Laboratories claiming they aggressively marketed the drug while downplaying its risks.

AP-NY-10-13-01 0030EDT