Thread: meds and constipation

meds and constipation

It's bad enough that spinal cord injury screws up our bowels, but pain meds make matters even worse, I'm on an every third day bowel program that has always required some digital stim by my caregiver to clean me out, even when I wasn't on any pain meds. When I'm on pain meds, as we're trying now, everything must be digitally stimulated.

I take senokot every day, and two plus a dulcolax the night before "Fun Day." I take Citrucel daily. I drink prune juice, and eat a tablespoon of prune-fig paste daily. I take stool softeners. I eat raisin bran. Nothing makes things go by themselves - the magic bullet melts, and nothing happens. What can I add to my med regimen to make the bowels move? I have to keep trying pain meds until we find something that works, and any pain med that works will cause constipation that I need to overcome.

constipation

alan

I feel for you. I also get constipated from pain meds. (mostly vallium) I take two ducolax tabs the night before my bowel program. I don't know if taking ducolax tabs long term is harmful, maybe someone can comment on that, but it seems to work most of the time.

Where is your pain? My pain is in my perineal area so stims get very painful.

Ducolax

I am almost sure that taking ducolax pills over an exstended time is bad for your health. However I feel like you will get little info here from professionals, as that has been my exsperance so far.

I take a lot of pain meds and the only thing I found to work is Surfax , with a lot of water.
    At least 8 big glasses a day, with maybe 4 to 6 surfax gel caps depending on how much meds you are taking. Metamuceil helps too.

Good luck !!
    craig

My pains are everywhere - abdomen, shoulder blade regions, legs, and hands.

Alan,

There's a woman on a central pain email list I participate in (it's managed through http://www.centralpain.org) that swears by a regimen of chinese herbs to help her avoid constipation caused by her other meds. If you'd like, I'll contact her and have her try to email you directly so you can try to figure out some some information.

I'm certainly not qualified to get into specifics on this, but I can help you get in touch with her and then leave it up to you to decide what works best for you. And as always, I recommend that you keep your doctor posted on what you're trying to do to be absolutely sure to avoid any conflicts.

Of course, you also might consider joining the other email list. It's a Yahoo group that I just happen to participate in, but I have nothing to so with the administration of it.

I hope that this is the sort of answer you were looking for in response to your problem with constipation. I know that it can be a real pain (no pun intended!) to keep everything in balance. I certainly wish you the best of luck. Let me know what you want me to do. If you want me to help you contact her, email me directly at david@painonline.org, or consider just joining the email list yourself.

David Berg