Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did the pain start?

I have lived with a complete T11-T12 SCI for the last 16-and-a-half years. I fell from a swing at the age of 7 and a half. I started experiencing a pins-and-needles feeling from the waist down (primarily in my lower legs and feet) soon after injury but I didn't really start experiencing chronic pain until I was 11. At the age of 11 I developed paralytic scoliosis (curvature of the spine as a result of the paralysis). Since then I have chronic back and hip pain (I have developed arthritis in my lower back and both hips due to numerous operations).

I have tried amitriptyline and Tylenol #1s for the pain. Sometimes Advil works, sometimes I have to take Tylenol #1s. I also find Evening Primrose Oil helps a bit as does Tiger Balm.

pains

My pains started about a month after my accident in June, 1981, and have been intensifying since. Rehab ignored my complaints of pain, and so did the Shock Trauma clinic - I was told I can't have pain below the level of injury. Well, I could, can, do, and have no life because of them. See post on "in pain and depressed" in this forum if you want a few details.