Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Stop taking Neurontin?

Quote Originally Posted by PALrose View Post
    I have been taking Neurontin for nerve pain associated with peripheral neuropathy. My appetite increased enormously and my weight went up. I had tried Lyrica, with the same results and side effects. I am in the process of switching to Cymbalta. My weight and appetite have decreased immediately after starting decrease in Neurontin dose............I was at max 3600/mg day. Went down to 2400 as directed by my pharmacist. I have never had seisures so I wasn't concerned about that.
    I have been on Neurontin for a year and a half and have been on the max dosage of 3600 mg/day for the last 6 months. I have been fortunate to have had minimal side effects, only sleepiness, minor brain fog, and some weight gain but not much. However, over the past months my pain levels have been getting much worse again. I hate to have to switch to something else that might give me more side effects and less pain relief. Does anyone know if I manage to switch to another med, if I were to start Neurontin again after a long time (e.g., a year), could I start again at a low dose and get relief? Or would my body "remember" the medication and want the higher dosage?

Finally diagnosed!

Hi,
    I have been suffering with chronic pain - right flank/lower back that radiates around to the lower right quadrant of my abdomen. For two years doctors thought it was all related to my history of kidney stones and/or it was all female issue related. I tried for the last 9mnths to get a doctor to order an MRI. I have seen not only my general prac. but also two urologists (tested me for bladder cancer), gyno (who did endometriosis surger), an internist (who did a colonoscopy) and I now have two different pain doctors, one for medication (percocet 10/325) management and the other for pain interventions (nerve blocks and bio feedback).
    I am on a combo of neurotin and percocet. My issues with the neurotin are balance troubles, headache, and all I want to do is sleep. I am currently taking 1200mg a day. I want to stop taking this medication for two reasons, cost and side effects.
    One of my pain docs ordered and MRI...FINALLY and they found in the L4/5 a bulging disk with a sizable tear and a cyst. I am seeing a spine surgeon next week to discuss options. I was a firefighter for 13yrs and served 5 years in the Air Force. I have no idea when this injury happend. I have spent probably 100 nights in the e.r because when the pain spikes it reaches a 9 and the meds I have do not touch it. On the percocet, which I take 4x a day if needed and some days I have to take almost double that, I am kept comfortable enough to function at work but I can no longer make it through an 8hr day. Thank God for I have the priveledge to work from home as well as the office...I get to lay down when the pain becomes unbearable...which seems to be happening more frequently.
    I am so mad at all the doctors who had such pompus tunnelvision. One of my pain docs refuses to prescribe the percocet, which is why I see another pain doctor (they both know I see both of them)..to manage my pain. The neurotin is crazy expensive. The percocet is not...plus it doesnt make me sick to my stomach nor mess with my balance or make me sleepy. I will say this..and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced what I'm about to say...PLEASE RESPOND...the doctors are so scared to prescribe pain killers (and I do understand why) that for a while there I was having to go to the e.r. almost weekly..thereby making my chart look like I was a drug seeker. I have a proven two year medical history in which I've done everything I could do to try to get a diagnosis and use alternative treatment (biofeedback and nerve block).
    To be honest, I actually hate my quality of life now. I have tried to convince my partner to whack me in the side with a bat..but she wont do it. I have planned out an "accident" where I would fall off the roof and land on my side...or jump infront of a car. I cannot stand hurting day in and out and sometimes..the way the one pain doc has treated me..and the way I've been treated in the e.r....it's just so disrespectful and hurtful. I'm in my last semester of grad school and I work full time. Do any of you guys go through this? I'm taking myself off the neurotin. Now, having a definitive diagnosis I feel safe to do so..plus I just cant handle the sleepiness and the dizzness/balance problems any longer. Looking forward to hearing from you..thank you in advance for taking the time to respond

Quote Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
    Hi,
    I have been suffering with chronic pain - right flank/lower back that radiates around to the lower right quadrant of my abdomen. For two years doctors thought it was all related to my history of kidney stones and/or it was all female issue related. I tried for the last 9mnths to get a doctor to order an MRI. I have seen not only my general prac. but also two urologists (tested me for bladder cancer), gyno (who did endometriosis surger), an internist (who did a colonoscopy) and I now have two different pain doctors, one for medication (percocet 10/325) management and the other for pain interventions (nerve blocks and bio feedback).
    I am on a combo of neurotin and percocet. My issues with the neurotin are balance troubles, headache, and all I want to do is sleep. I am currently taking 1200mg a day. I want to stop taking this medication for two reasons, cost and side effects.
    One of my pain docs ordered and MRI...FINALLY and they found in the L4/5 a bulging disk with a sizable tear and a cyst. I am seeing a spine surgeon next week to discuss options. I was a firefighter for 13yrs and served 5 years in the Air Force. I have no idea when this injury happend. I have spent probably 100 nights in the e.r because when the pain spikes it reaches a 9 and the meds I have do not touch it. On the percocet, which I take 4x a day if needed and some days I have to take almost double that, I am kept comfortable enough to function at work but I can no longer make it through an 8hr day. Thank God for I have the priveledge to work from home as well as the office...I get to lay down when the pain becomes unbearable...which seems to be happening more frequently.
    I am so mad at all the doctors who had such pompus tunnelvision. One of my pain docs refuses to prescribe the percocet, which is why I see another pain doctor (they both know I see both of them)..to manage my pain. The neurotin is crazy expensive. The percocet is not...plus it doesnt make me sick to my stomach nor mess with my balance or make me sleepy. I will say this..and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced what I'm about to say...PLEASE RESPOND...the doctors are so scared to prescribe pain killers (and I do understand why) that for a while there I was having to go to the e.r. almost weekly..thereby making my chart look like I was a drug seeker. I have a proven two year medical history in which I've done everything I could do to try to get a diagnosis and use alternative treatment (biofeedback and nerve block).
    To be honest, I actually hate my quality of life now. I have tried to convince my partner to whack me in the side with a bat..but she wont do it. I have planned out an "accident" where I would fall off the roof and land on my side...or jump infront of a car. I cannot stand hurting day in and out and sometimes..the way the one pain doc has treated me..and the way I've been treated in the e.r....it's just so disrespectful and hurtful. I'm in my last semester of grad school and I work full time. Do any of you guys go through this? I'm taking myself off the neurotin. Now, having a definitive diagnosis I feel safe to do so..plus I just cant handle the sleepiness and the dizzness/balance problems any longer. Looking forward to hearing from you..thank you in advance for taking the time to respond
    I can't really help too much because they prescribed me Baclofen instead of neurontin and I have found that in conjunction with my oxy's my pains is less

And as to the other part of your post , if you do ultimately decide to whack yourself, please make sure that you come up with some method that will definitely work. Because if you do either of the things like you suggested there is a pretty good chance that you will survive, but will just be even more injured and in more pain.