Thread: Cannabis Spray Helps Ease Chronic Pain: Study

Cannabis Spray Helps Ease Chronic Pain: Study

Tuesday September 4 1:29 PM ET
    Cannabis Spray Helps Ease Chronic Pain: Study
    By Patricia Reaney

GLASGOW, Scotland (Reuters) - A cannabis spray used under the tongue helps to relieve the suffering of multiple sclerosis patients and people with chronic pain, a British doctor said Monday.

The spray contains extracts from the drug and allows doctors to control dosage effectively and measure the effects.

So far, preliminary results have been encouraging.

``We are finding it is useful for a lot of patients,'' Dr. William Notcutt of James Paget Hospital in Great Yarmouth in eastern England told a science conference here.

An estimated one person in 12 experiences some form of chronic pain.

Notcutt tested the spray, which was developed and supplied by the British company GW Pharmaceuticals, among patients with experience in using cannabis and those who were not familiar with the drug.

The spray totally relieved pain in some patients, while it helped others get a good night's sleep, which Notcutt said is a blessed event for many chronic pain sufferers.

In addition to providing valuable information about the effectiveness of the drug in easing chronic pain, Notcutt told the British Association for the Advancement of Science (news - web sites) Conference that the study was also providing data on the best dosage and side effects.

``We need much more basic information on how to use this,'' he said.

Although the use of cannabis is illegal in most countries, patients with diseases such as cancer and multiple sclerosis have been lobbying to use cannabis for medicinal purposes.

In this study, only three patients out of the 23 in the two groups said they received no benefit from the spray. Side effects included a high level of euphoria--or a ``high''--panic attacks and fainting.

Notcutt refused to discuss whether his research would provide further support to those seeking to legalese cannabis.

``Our goal has been to return people to an active life,'' he said, adding that one patient had returned to work and others had resumed driving.

GW Pharmaceuticals, set up in 1997, operates under licenses from the British Home Office, or interior ministry, to cultivate, possess and supply cannabis for medical research.

It grows cannabis in secure, computer-controlled greenhouses in southern England. The plants used in the trials were grown to maximize the benefits of the active ingredients in cannabis.

I've glanced at some of the research being performed on cannabis as a means of pain research by Dr. Andrew Rice at the Imperial College of London. One of the interesting things about cannabis research is that cannaboid receptors in the nervous system are effective targets for some people even though their opiod receptors are not functioning. Dr. Rice is, among other things, one of the people working on developing a form of treatment with cannabis that avoids the high that's so politically controversial. That's a good idea, since most people honestly want a pain management drug that's as free as possible from any side effects. Of course, I've read of people who are using marijuana for medical purposes, and they sometimes mention that the antidepressant effect of a few tokes is a legitimate benefit. And heaven knows that prescription anti-depressants can have enough side effects of their own.

Perhaps Dr. Rice has an advantage by doing his research in England; I recently read that there are 15 tons of marijuana grown in Britain annually for purposes of medical research. One of the sad things about cannaboid research is that so many "traditional" researchers seem to instantly turn up their noses at someone the moment they hear "cannabis" mentioned for legitimate medical use. I'm more of the school that clinicians should have anything that works at their disposal, and that at times the "war on drugs" has gone to the extent of cutting off the availability of drugs that were already helping people, such as liquid cocaine that use to serve as a topical anesthetic.

David Berg

I'd love to try that spray.

Alan, have you tried smoking a fatty? In all seriousness, I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to get a hold of, but it might be worth a shot. Politicians are so concerned about getting re-elected, they shoot down anything associated with pot even though there are plenty of legal drugs prescribed that have chilling side-effects and obvious addictive qualities. Then the politicians go drink it up at the bar and drive off some bridge and kill their passenger...oh, sorry, I'm going off on another tangent.

~Rus

"Because you're not promised tomorrow." ~ Stuck Mojo

MaraHootchi as a cure!!

Do you think itll be legal to get this spray?? i would love to try it too. anything to help with PAIN!!

If I tried to smoke, I'd probably choke to death trying to cough after the first drag. I tried marijuana brownies back in the mid-80s, but rather than relieve pain, it made my sensations stronger. I was actually able to tell what numbers and letters my mother was tracing on my legs - normally, the legs just tingle and burn, and I can't even really tell if they're being touched.

Knowing our government's hard-on re marijuana, that spray should be approved for use in the U.S about 2112. :-(