Thread: Senate Bill to allow some disabled Vets to Fly Space-A

Senate Bill to allow some disabled Vets to Fly Space-A

Senator Daniel Inouye (D-HI) has introduced Senate Bill S. 58, which would permit former members of the Armed Forces who have a service-connected disability rated as total to travel on military aircraft in the same manner and to the same extent as retired members of the Armed Forces are entitled to travel on such aircraft. This means that any former member of the armed forces who has a service-connected disability rated as total by the Veterans Administration would be able to travel on unscheduled military flights within the continental United States and on scheduled overseas flights operated by the Air Mobility Command on a space-available basis.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

I hope this bill makes it, that would be a real money saver for me. I can just imagine driving over to Pope AFB and catching a flight to LasVegas to see my daughter. The only problem would be the flights on C5's and the 141's, where the seating is topside, but I'm sure it could be worked out.
    Linda H.

Yeah Linda, your not kidding. 10 bucks from Deleware to Frankfort am Main. My Dad is retired military, but never uses his Space A privliges. It drives my Mom nuts because she can fly as well, but he doesn´t want to deal with the wait at the military terminals and the chance you may get bumped off a flight. I didn´t know you are a vet.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Mike, tell him that he can skip the long lines if he doesn't mind hopping islands. Just before we found out we were heading for Germany in 1992 I had a vaction planned to celebrate the quincentennial of the discovery of the Americas by western Europeans in 1992. We have embassies at each of the Caribbean Island nations and small planes, normally, stop at each about twice a week to pick up the diplomatic bags. I was hoping to hit one each of the original French, English, Spanish and Dutch Islands plus the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Oh well, Munich instead.

Linda? They should be able to stick you in your chair and heft both of you onto a secured pallet. Then up using a forklift and into the seating area after the pallet gets lost. Might want a parachute for padding. Just in case. Think they'll require medical staff along with like when we were airlifted out?

Mike, right now getting to Frankfurt shouldn't be too hard. Getting back, well, those Nightengales coming into Andrews AFB are disgustingly well filled.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Yup, I was in the navy. I didn't get to stay in very long, shredded the ligaments in my left knee at the end of basic trainning, it's a long story, but in the end it wound up causing my SCI. I'm 100% + service connected, and get all my medical care from the VA.
    Sue, that's kinda how I figured it would work on the 5's & 141"s, although I don't know about the medical staff part. I wouldn't think it should be required, anymore than if you're lucky to catch a flight on one of the regular passenger style planes they use for troop movements.
    Linda H.